Beta Public Beta Test

milkshake

Advanced Member
Hi All!

finally I have reached a point where my repository website is be fully functional.

there are some other stuff that i will be adding later.
Things like sync with the app sotre or file archive have not been added yet:
this is because this site has application "ownership" meaning only the application maintainer can update his app.
at present i have no system in place to allow trading of ownership so untill thats i place i cant sync.

but the site should work perfect anyway as long as devs upload there apps.

PLEASE DONT UPLOAD AN APP YOU DID NOT COMPILE/PORT/CREATE YOURSELF
again this is because if you do then you will become the owner of that application and the real maintainer/s of that app wont be able to update it (without manual db changes from me).

Im putting a lot of trust into giving out upload privileges to every account but they can be revoked, please dont make me have to implement requesting upload ability, it just makes things awkward.

anyway untill devs start adding apps then there isnt much to look at but please sign up to the site and test it as much as you can.

leave feedback and bug reports for me so i can fix any issues before i can this a final release.

the URL is http://repo.openpandora.org

good luck.

EDIT: also i need a good domain name for this site so please suggest some for me

Gratz on breaking to public beta .. woowoo :)

I wonder if theres still some dev alpha test stuff in the database.. ie: gnome games with catefgory and subcategory 'multiple'; bad categories, shoudl be rejected?

But looking good :)

Any plan for at least a one-time slurp from dl.openhandhelds, or just starting fresh with everyone uploading away?

Any volunteer to do mass uploading? No coder skill needed, just some free time!

jeff

skeezix said:
Any volunteer to do mass uploading? No coder skill needed, just some free time!
It would requiere that milky then give ownership to the right person...

Uploading a file just mean giving an url to it. Everything is taken from the PXML file. it realy take a few seconds per file (if the PXML is valid, else only the maintainer can do something anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh wow this looks nice.
definitely giving it a try now.

*edit*
signed up, uploaded, works. great stuff!

*edit2*
also got the application uploaded mail.

This looks amazing and I really think you've done an outstanding job on this one, milkshake!

Just one thing: where is the Emulators category?

Um... can you please allow 3-character usernames? :unsure:

Iorgy77 said:
www.thisismuchbetterthancraigs.com
Indeed, but I'm not sure Craig will agree; from his perspective, he will prefer his own appstore because he has control over it. (it does have one advantage in that it allows commercial applications as well, though nobody has used that yet)

torpor said:
This looks amazing and I really think you've done an outstanding job on this one, milkshake!

Just one thing: where is the Emulators category?
What do you mean? It's right there.

This is really nice, milkshake, and I think better than either of the two file archives right now.

If possible, there's just one thing I'd like as a feature request for the future: when you sort by "latest", "top rated" or "most downloads", it doesn't actually show you the things you're sorting by (e.g. the upload date, or the exact number of downloads), only rearranges things in the right order. Would it be possible to show that information when you sort by those things?

EDIT: also i need a good domain name for this site so please suggest some for me
I think the current one is pretty easy to remember...

I honestly don't see the Emulators category at all!

And also, it is my firm opinion that "repo.openpandora.org" should be used for the actual Angstrom repository, and this should be more like "apps" or something cute like "milkshakes.openpandora.org" or something ..

torpor said:
I honestly don't see the Emulators category at all!

i also had to look twice. it's in the tag cloud, "Emulator" :)

Esn said:
Um... can you please allow 3-character usernames? :unsure:
Milkshake is currently at work and can't change stuff, but he plans to allow names with at least 2 chars as usernames once he is back home. So just be patient. ;)

This is really great! Everything seems to work fine.
And it looks great on the pc and on pandora, like it is made for it.

The new Midori 0.3.3 crashes when trying to sign in, lightweight and other browsers doesn't seem to have problems.

Cheers!

Edit: OK, doesn't crash always, ehrn logging in. Just sometimes...

Great job, Milkshake. It's very functional and easy to navigate. Although, it could use some color imo.

I'd be willing to upload/transfer some apps from the other sites if need be. Should I just sign up and start uploading or wait for milkshake to sync? I noticed Milkshake says not to upload unless you compiled the app. If he has to change the ownership to all the uploads I do, it's probably a waste of time for me to bother.

The current name works for me, I also always liked "theappshack" that someone mentioned the last time app store names were talked about.

Ok I uploaded my PNDs...

Beat2X failed because of no icon.png... anyone can create a quick icon please?
Spout failed because of some version problem... :S
My other apps had minor errors but let me continue anyway... I would like an example pxml with the spec that milkshake uses if possible?

Other than that, loving this! It pulls all the info from the PND, just submit and BOOM! Love it! Well done Milkshake!

I haven't received my validation mail for new account signup yet .. is this working/borked, or am I just impatient? (Username: torpor, signed up this morning, 5 hours ago.. no email yet..)

PokeParadox said:
Ok I uploaded my PNDs...

Beat2X failed because of no icon.png... anyone can create a quick icon please?
Spout failed because of some version problem... :S
My other apps had minor errors but let me continue anyway... I would like an example pxml with the spec that milkshake uses if possible?

Other than that, loving this! It pulls all the info from the PND, just submit and BOOM! Love it! Well done Milkshake!
He does use the official specs as documented in the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/PXML_specification

There you will also find some example files linked, though he does make having an icon mandatory, too. In general not everything displayed as "Error" has to be a real error but can also be kind of a "hint" what could be changed/improved (eg using the "type=" in the version field which is just a warning, release will be assumed if it is missing).

I'm not sure that I like the fact that there is another source for software, but the site itself looks awesome.

Ivanovic said:
He does use the official specs as documented in the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/PXML_specification
^ I feel this is important enough to repeat.

Ivanovic, maybe we should have a thread announcing that the PXML spec has been updated?

Back