Release public beta test

milkshake

Advanced Member
Hi All!

finally I have reached a point where my repository website is be fully functional.

there are some other stuff that i will be adding later.

Things like sync with the app sotre or file archive have not been added yet:

this is because this site has application "ownership" meaning only the application maintainer can update his app.

at present i have no system in place to allow trading of ownership so untill thats i place i cant sync.

but the site should work perfect anyway as long as devs upload there apps.

PLEASE DONT UPLOAD AN APP YOU DID NOT COMPILE/PORT/CREATE YOURSELF

again this is because if you do then you will become the owner of that application and the real maintainer/s of that app wont be able to update it (without manual db changes from me).

Im putting a lot of trust into giving out upload privileges to every account but they can be revoked, please dont make me have to implement requesting upload ability, it just makes things awkward.

anyway untill devs start adding apps then there isnt much to look at but please sign up to the site and test it as much as you can.

leave feedback and bug reports for me so i can fix any issues before i can this a final release.

the URL is http://repo.openpandora.org

good luck.

EDIT: also i need a good domain name for this site so please suggest some for me

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like "repo.openpandora.org", because thats where the Angstrom repository should live.

What I'd like is more like "milkshake.openpandora.org" or something cute like that .. ;)

How about the Pandora App Kiosk (kiosk.openpandora.org)?

Its like an store but way smaller you know, I think it fits because it doesn't have like a million of shitty apps like the appstore or android market.

I hope everyone starts using this one (sorry Craig). Its fast and easy to navigate.

keep it .openpandora.org, add links to home/forums, just like there should be a repo link in home and here in forums by openpandora/forums/members/calendar

Would it be possible for it to report file sizes when you're downloading? I know sizes are on the app page, but it bugs me when my browser is telling me x downloaded instead of x of y downloaded.

keep it .openpandora.org, add links to home/forums, just like there should be a repo link in home and here in forums by openpandora/forums/members/calendar

mines not the offical app site though.
It is not the official app site yet. ;) IMO it is by far superior compared to apps.o.o since it is also usable on non pandora systems regarding what is shown, has a listview, sorting is possible without requiring to login, preview pics and icons are automatically used and the version number of the applications is directly shown. And don't forget that it is freaking easy to upload stuff, no need to enter any additional information since all comes directly from the pxml.

As said in irc, an option to edit and delete own comments would be nice.

Maybe also for a maintainer the option to delete comments for their programs (well this would have to be discussed I think).

Great work, also great to see what functions you implemented since the last beta-test :)

This will be the main place I will be uploading my stuff in the future.

hm, ok, first of all of course thank you for all the effort put into this!

Personally I am not yet convinced by this though.

I am confused by the categories for example. Why is "Emulators" somewhere small in the second row? Also why is there "Games" and then several Game-subcategories around?

I find this very confusing. I would prefer to have main- and sub-categories, like Games -> Puzzle or whatever ... (by the way, "Gnome Games" for example does not even show up under "Games")

Also I usually find it more informative to have a small screenshot instead of an icon in the list.

Well maybe I did not entirely get the purpose of the webpage. I think it is ok if you already know exactly what you are looking for (best by the name of the program ... yes, like a repository) But if you want to just browse through to see if you find something interesting by chance, it is currently not really possible (often neither the name, nor the icon tell you what the program/game might be about).

So the idea is to have one place where you will find all .pnd's (including those from the app-store and openhandhelds, thereby replacing them) right?

In that case I think it should become a lot more "browsable", like: click through the list and already see if it's for you or not without having to click to the details-page of every item (some of which are not very enlightening either.) Yes, I know this is just a beta, I am just really trying to give some constructive feedback. Screenshots should be a must though. I think all information is just read from the .PND, right? and if there is no screenshot ... well then there is none. But there still *should* be one, and I would prefer to see it instead of the icon.

That and a "classic" category-set would probably solve all the issues I have already.

(I mean, someone who just got his Pandora, and did not follow every software-post in the forums over the last years should be able to go there, click around and find something he or she likes, right?)

Again sorry if I sound all negative. I do appreciate the effort and I certainly do not want to bash on it. It is just my honest opinion ... :unsure:

I do like the front page with the top-lists and latest.

Maybe getting the screenshot when you mouse-over an icon in the lists (like the zoomed screenshot on openhendhelds.org) can be introduced in the lists? (I know that sometimes a miniature-screenshot tells even less than an icon ...)

hm, ok, first of all of course thank you for all the effort put into this!

Personally I am not yet convinced by this though.

I am confused by the categories for example. Why is "Emulators" somewhere small in the second row? Also why is there "Games" and then several Game-subcategories around?

I find this very confusing. I would prefer to have main- and sub-categories, like Games -> Puzzle or whatever ... (by the way, "Gnome Games" for example does not even show up under "Games")

Also I usually find it more informative to have a small screenshot instead of an icon in the list.

there is a screen shot when u visit the apps page

and gnome games is in the games list though u might have to try page 2 or 3

Well maybe I did not entirely get the purpose of the webpage. I think it is ok if you already know exactly what you are looking for (best by the name of the program ... yes, like a repository) But if you want to just browse through to see if you find something interesting by chance, it is currently not really possible (often neither the name, nor the icon tell you what the program/game might be about).

So the idea is to have one place where you will find all .pnd's (including those from the app-store and openhandhelds, thereby replacing them) right?

In that case I think it should become a lot more "browsable", like: click through the list and already see if it's for you or not without having to click to the details-page of every item (some of which are not very enlightening either.) Yes, I know this is just a beta, I am just really trying to give some constructive feedback. Screenshots should be a must though. I think all information is just read from the .PND, right? and if there is no screenshot ... well then there is none. But there still *should* be one, and I would prefer to see it instead of the icon.

That and a "classic" category-set would probably solve all the issues I have already.

(I mean, someone who just got his Pandora, and did not follow every software-post in the forums over the last years should be able to go there, click around and find something he or she likes, right?)

Again sorry if I sound all negative. I do appreciate the effort and I certainly do not want to bash on it. It is just my honest opinion ... :unsure:

I do like the front page with the top-lists and latest.

Maybe getting the screenshot when you mouse-over an icon in the lists (like the zoomed screenshot on openhendhelds.org) can be introduced in the lists? (I know that sometimes a miniature-screenshot tells even less than an icon ...)

I chose to use the categories built into the pandora and not make my own up i think its more comprahensive this way, all the main cats are in the darker colour and subcats are the lighter gray, also the most populat cats will grow size like a tag cloud.

thanks for your feedback though.

Looks good! I'll add my stuff as soon as I get a minute to repackage it all (they get rejected just now as none of them have a <package> tag).

Is it possible to reply to specific comments or is it just a sequential list?

I chose to use the categories built into the pandora and not make my own up i think its more comprahensive this way, all the main cats are in the darker colour and subcats are the lighter gray, also the most populat cats will grow size like a tag cloud.
I was never a big fan of tag clouds ...

Well after playing around a bit more I guess I was a bit too hasty about the "browsability". It's actually quite good once you get used to it. I was probably stuck in "where's the category-tree to click through?" too much.

I still vote to have a screenshot on mouse-over the icon though B)

Other than that it was probably just me not getting the concept. (I'm getting old)

Back