Release public beta test

ok last night I added a basic "auto-complete" to the search box:

i.e. if you have javascript enabled and you begin typing in the title of an app in the repo, it will try to guess what app you are typing and give you a drop down list from which you can click with your mouse.

please give the a try and let me know what you think.

I will be improving it asap to give the end user the option to sarch either author or title and also add pagnation to the dropdown to prevent the list from being overly long when you only add a couple of letters.

Hi Milkshake,

How do you feel about allowing users to upload ipk files to the repo?

I'd like to store some 'add-on' files for the new version of the 'C/C++ Development Tools' pnd I'm working on. It can already access the Angstrom feed, but it would be great if it also had a place to get things that aren't available from Angstrom (mainly development libraries like libSDL1.3, Allegro, Ogre etc.). Also, people who use other on-board compilations methods would be to use them.

I was originally thinking of asking one of the admins if I could have some project space on openpandora.org, but now I'm wondering if it would be better if I could host them on your repo (mainly because we all have upload rights to it, so people other than me could also put ipk files they've made there).

I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to enable this - the upload process would have to accept 'ipk' as a valid file, then it would have to dump it somewhere publicly accessible. There wouldn't need to be any web front-end to view them. If you wanted, the website could also extract information to update the Packages.tar.gz file there'd also need to be, but if you didn't, then uploaders could update that themselves.

well yuo could always PND up the IPK file then when the user runs the pnd it would auto install the ipk using the or dump to 'C/C++ Development Tools' appdata folder (or however you use it) run.sh.

that way you can upload additions to your 'C/C++ Development Tools' as seperate apps kinda how the community codec pack works, sound like a plan?

ok cant edit my posts on i.e6 so ill re-rwite that last message more accurately.

well yuo could always PND up the IPK file then when the user runs the pnd it would auto install the ipk or dump the needed librarys etc to 'C/C++ Development Tools' appdata folder (or however you have implamented the dev tools to work) using the PXML's run.sh.

that way you can upload additions to your 'C/C++ Development Tools' as seperate apps kinda how the community codec pack works, sound like a plan?

Oh OK, I'll give that a try. The package manager inside cdevtools can even use the repo spec feed to find stuff, thinking about it.

so this will work then yes?

I think so, yes. I'd originally composed replies saying why I didn't want to do this and why it wouldn't work, but then - kinda annoyingly really - I realised none of my arguments were really strong enough.

I'll make pnds that startup with a zenity question of "Install to Root?" (for bollocks-style setups that use opkg) or "Install to cdevtools appdata" (in which case it'll find the package manager that'll be dumped in appdata and use that). This means they'll work if the pnds are downloaded by hand. For updating within cdevtools, I can wrap the package manager with a script that looks at the repo spec, downloads the pnd, and then mounts it internally (i.e. doesn't run the startup script, just accesses the ipk).

I'll lose out on dependency management, but I can live with that.

why cant you copy the contents of the pnd/ipk to the relevent appdata folder perminantly? rather than having extra mounts every time you want to use it?

it might be worth extracting the community codec PND and have a look at the RUN.sh and see how it does it.

or is that what u meant I just didnt understand why u lose the dependancy thing.

Yeah sorry - it would be exactly like the Community Codec Pack does - the contents would be copied and the pnd could be deleted afterwards.

I should have been clearer about dependency management - I meant that if I made a pnd (e.g. cdev_libXXX.pnd) that contained an ipk (e.g. libXXX.ipk), then that ipk wouldn't be able to have a dependency of libYYY.ipk that the package manager could automatically resolve, because it wouldn't have any way to download it (it has to be fed ipks by individual pnds). I can't make cdev_libXXX.pnd have a dependency of cdev_libYYY.pnd either, 'cos pnds don't have a dependency system (yet). But that's all moo anyway, because I'm not imagining creating pnds/ipks with dependencies, and even if I do, I can script around it. Dunno - maybe I was trying to find a problem with your solution - for form's sake at least.

Yeah sorry - it would be exactly like the Community Codec Pack does - the contents would be copied and the pnd could be deleted afterwards.
once this has been done it should mean it is then the same eperiance as having downloaded the IPK directly yes?

or have I missed the boat lol.

Update:

auto complete has now been improved, you can search for titles are authors.

if you use the up/down arrow keys you can highlight a suggestion and if you press return to select the suggestion one of the following will happen:

1. if you have title selected this will take you directly to the app page.
  2. if you have author selected this will take you to the search page containing apps by this author.

if you press the left/right arrow keys you can skip on to the next/previous page of results.

you can also use the mouse to browse through the page of selections by clicking on the page numbers or the arrows at either side.

and finally if you want to you can just click on a suggestion with the mouse instead to take you to that apps details page or a list of that authors apps.

hope you find this useful, if you find a bug or have any issues let me know.

the old search will still work for those that do not use javascript or as long as you have not highlighted a suggestion with the arrow keys and you press return the standard search will kick in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The milkshake light have been turned on there. yet no hero have came there. So I'm setting up a mirror here, hoping for the best

How to use the update feature ?

I'm currently trying to only get the last updates since a certain date from the repo. Unfortunatly I have some problems with it.

I use the url the repo sends in his info - "block":

"http://repo.openpandora.org/includes/get_data.php?last_updated=%time%"

Is the format of this update url specified ? Will the charactersequence "%time%" always be there regardless who implemented the repo ?

I'm trying to get only the updates from a certain date till today with this url:

"http://repo.openpandora.org/includes/get_data.php?last_updated=2011-11-24"

but I'll always get the full list back. Can anyone give me a correct url ?

thatgui: Everything to do with repository files is documented on the wiki. The "updates" URL is optional, but if given will always include "%time%". As milkshake said, replace %time% with the unix time (UTC) of your last read in order to get all repository updates since that time. eg: repo.openpandora.org/includes/get_data.php?last_updated=1322670871 to get all all updates since earlier today.

Back