Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

So any idea of when you'll release the next version?
We're all impatient little kids here who can't wait to err... test it for you ;)

i am patient...i don't even have a gp2x yet. i was just replying to wite noiz.

reesy said this: "If I have time after the release TOMMOROW..."

@ Zodttd, Unai, Tinnus

What do you think about Squidge's MMU Hack?
Is it useful in our case anyway? Will it be a part of psx4gp2x ?
Or is something like this integrated already?
!!Questions of a gamer (no coder), if its to stupid discount it!! :D

Do you even read zod's messages? He just said it takes up less then 32mb (which raises some questions), so it can't make use of it.

The hack is only for programs that use more then 32mb of ram.

I read zodttd´s messages, but posts of others too. and this people guess it can be helpful. i ask to find out, whether this is true. and now i know, they are right partially. i`m satisfied with this answer. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news regarding the speed increase.

Speaking of great news, Final Fantasy VII is finally working on the current release for me. I have no idea why it crashed before, but it tends to run at around 20fps which is pretty good. I had good fun playing it. Also, zodttd, the only gripe was the low resolution that made it hard to read the in-game text. Will the new release have a higher resolution, as I'm sure the release before the current release had a higher resolution?

Thanks.

Sorry icurafu, I take back what I said.

After speaking to Squidge I found out the framebuffer is indeed in the upper 32MB of memory. So I was able to squeeze about 2 more FPS out of the emulator by using his mmu patch. It's what I've been busy with as it wasn't easy to get going stable.

So now that the mmu patch is in place and I have it stable, Unai's GPU is in a great state, I only have a few more things I would like to do with the emulator in terms of compatibility for this release.

For those wondering how I got the mmu patch stable, I can post a simple code snippet. It's pretty ugly, but by looping the two main uname writes until it returns something other than 0 or 0xfffffff2 it will work very smoothly.

So the mmu patch won't give a large speed increase as other emulators since psx4gp2x doesn't use upper ram other than the framebuffer from what Im aware of. The memory it uses is as fast as it gets now.

If I have time after the release tommorow, I will continue work on the dynarec, as it will give a VERY large speed increase once working. It will be my main focus for the next week or so. It will probably be a real pain, but it will be worth it however long it lands up taking.

The Gizmondo port is still being worked on, for those who are interested, but it's going very slowly in terms of development since the Giz still needs some work done within the development community to get it going at its full potential.

X-Code: Thanks for the great testing work! :)

So wait a little for the release, and I'll try my very best to get the newest version of psx4gp2x out tommorow.

It has been a pleasure zodttd , more testing will be done over the next few days :lol: , those extra 2 frames will be a nice addition, that, and the possible vast speed improvement provided by the dynarec in future releases should make everyone quite happy... I for one am quite happy with progress so far, it's already quite impressive to see it working in the first place, so, keep up the good work :) .

ya you guys are great! all of the coders. x-code you're great too but you know by testing all those games now you have to test them again with every new release. that can get very annoying in the future ;) don't overdo it!

That shouldn't be much of a problem Vollgasasi :lol: , I have time, my work comes second when the GP2X is around B) ... I hope to find time to code some of my own stuff, I have two projects in mind, an RPG, and a 2D space shooter ( with simulated 3D gfx )... Well , that's far away for now anyway, it's on paper and that's a start :lol:

And now, back to testing, I have actually re-tested some of the games :blink:

psx4gp2x Public Beta 2 is being tested real quick before it's out today.
So unless there's a major bug that can't be fixed soon, it will be out today. Give it 6 hours or so.
Keep in mind that this release is only about 3 FPS faster than beta 1.8 when underclocked in some areas.
Now that public beta 2 is done I can focus on working on that dynarec, and get things going MUCH faster.

pepone: Hi! :) Glad you got Squidge's code working too! The 100ms / 200ms pause before myuname didn't work for me consistently. Not sure why, so it sometimes has to loop a few times.

devestation: No problem. I have a donation I need to send to Squidge too. :p

So unless there's a major bug that can't be fixed soon, it will be out today. Give it 6 hours or so.
Keep in mind that this release is only about 3 FPS faster than beta 1.8 when underclocked in some areas.
Now that public beta 2 is done I can focus on working on that dynarec, and get things going MUCH faster.

pepone: Hi! :) Glad you got Squidge's code working too! The 100ms / 200ms pause before myuname didn't work for me consistently. Not sure why, so it sometimes has to loop a few times.

devestation: No problem. I have a donation I need to send to Squidge too. :p
OMG hyperventilating, I can't wait to play Tekken3 again (I had it working last December)

My Play-Asia tracking page shows that my MK2 is on its way for delivery now. Today (ordered on Teusday, damn that is quick.)

Pointless for me to get excited, until Newegg.com gets off it's ass and updates its shipping info I don't know where my 2GB SD card is.

I will just be playing DrMD beta 5 until then on my brothers 64mb SD card.

I wonder if I can get Descent or Descent Maximum to play :D :D :D?

When will sound be back? In fact, why wasn't it included in the last release?
Also, will you be implementing frameskip? FF7 hates underclocking.

Excellent news - many people are looking forward to testing it. :)
Best of luck with the dynarec!

Kev

I can't wait to test SotN on this one. :D
Thanks for working so fast on this, zodttd.

Back