Jaguarandine
sixela
Jaylink
greenmikey
Tobriand :)
paxl13
PokeParadox

How to get in the beta:
As long as you donated (at any time) to me for any of my projects to date, you can participate in this project. Just PM me a request to be in the beta with your donation details. My donation link is the "Donate to me for whatever" PayPal link in my signature.

THIS IS A PRIVATE BETA. DO NOT SHARE THIS ONE.

How to install the beta:
1. Unzip the file sent to you.
2. There will be a directory "gpsp".
3. Copy the gpsp directory to your storage media for the GP2X.
4. Copy the REQUIRED gba_bios.bin file you have someplace to the "gpsp" directory.
5. You may copy roms with the extension ".gba" or ".bin" (as well as zip files although they are untested) anywhere, but a roms folder has been provided.
6. Run gpsp.gpe.

How to play:
CONTROLS:
GP2X -> GBA
STICK -> DPAD
X -> B
B -> A
SELECT -> SELECT
START -> START
L -> L
R -> R
VOLUME DOWN -> GPSP VOLUME DOWN
VOLUME UP -> GPSP VOLUME UP
VOLUME MIDDLE -> GPSP MENU

MENU SYSTEM:
Options for scaling are unscaled and scaled 3:2 currently. Default is: unscaled
Options for frameskip are automatic, manual, and off. Default is: automatic
For frameskip choosing automatic or manual is advised. Automatic requires no frameskip value, although manual should be set to 1 (best scenario) to 3 for best use.
Options for sound are on/off. Default is: on
Options for audio buffer is the range of 16 bytes to 16284 in powers of 2. Default is: 512
For the audio buffer, using a range between 128 and 16284. By tweaking this setting, you MUST exit gpSP and then run it again for the setting to take effect! This setting allows some games to not only perform better, but make sound less "jittery". If a higher setting causes instability, please let me know.

To run gpSP:
On boot you will be asked to enter your clockspeed for overclocking/underclocking. The default is: 200.
This setting may soon be included in the menu system on a per-game configuration basis. Is this a good idea?
After pressing start to enter your clockspeed, you will be taken to a file menu. Use X to select a file or directory. Up and down controls the selection, and left and right goes between the file column and directory column.
Once selecting a file the game will load.
At any time you may press the volume buttons to control volume or enter the menu system.
To exit enter the menu system and select Exit.

BETA TESTERS PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING SITE TO REPORT COMPATIBILITY:
http://checklist.berzerk.co.uk/
Once registered at this site provided by WarmFluffyUK of gp32x.de, please use the gpSP section in the GP2X hardware area to report compatibility. Thank you!

Feel free to discuss and post pictures/videos of the beta in action here. :)

I'd like to know what settings are working best for people at what clockspeed, and what needs to be done to polish things up and get a first official release out.

Important fact:
There is a file called game_config.txt that includes specific optimizations on a per game basis. Matching the ROM you use to the one listed in that file will help increase speeds GREATLY! The majority of the games listed in it are U.S. releases, so a general rule of thumb is to use a US release of a game if possible. Let me know what region a game is when reporting compatibility of low performance/instability. Thanks!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
any idea when this will be available for those of us who haven't yet got around to making a donation?

If it goes smoothly, a week of polishing would do this emulator up really well.

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 04:22 AM said:
Hi everyone,

I would like to give those who donated to me a special "treat". I will be releasing a beta version of gpSP to donators tommorow. If you have donated any would like to participate please reply here or PM me. Thanks! :)

I'm polishing up the beta tonight and it's looking good! :)

For tommorow when the private beta starts, please be sure to post your graphics setting within gpSP as well as your overclock (or non-overclock). This should be very cool indeed!

Please have your beta requests in time (roughly some time tommorow). If possible provide your email used when donating here or via PM.

Thanks for the support everyone. This will be a very awesome release candidate for sure. :)
donated 10 bux.

To be completely honest though, I'm doing this more because I feel bad for derailing your thread. I feel especially worse for talking about buying a website out of boredom, especially when I would like to say that right now I am unemployed and will be for a long time due to drivers license complications..

However, for these reasons, I cannot say with a straight face and with any form of tact that I could not spare 10 dollars. Being bored out of my mind as I currently am, I would love to beta test this, if at all possible.

(Edited)

10 bux in your box, etc.

By the way, you use Ubuntu, maybe you could tell me. Why wont rhythmbox play mp3s? I've tried installing gstreamer or whatever, I've installed all the plug in packages, and yet edgy eft still rhythmbox still wont 'find the plugins' I dont get it :(

You dont have to answer if ya dont want to, but if you know it off the top of your head let me know ^^;; no biggie, I know this isn't tech support.

Auritribe posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:34 PM said:
Hi everyone,

I would like to give those who donated to me a special "treat". I will be releasing a beta version of gpSP to donators tommorow. If you have donated any would like to participate please reply here or PM me. Thanks! :)

For tommorow when the private beta starts, please be sure to post your graphics setting within gpSP as well as your overclock (or non-overclock). This should be very cool indeed!

Please have your beta requests in time (roughly some time tommorow). If possible provide your email used when donating here or via PM.

Thanks for the support everyone. This will be a very awesome release candidate for sure. :)
donated 10 bux.

To be completely honest though, I'm doing this more because I feel bad for derailing your thread. I feel especially worse for talking about buying a website out of boredom, especially when I would like to say that right now I am unemployed and will be for a long time due to drivers license complications..

However, for these reasons, I cannot say with a straight face and with any form of tact that I could not spare 10 dollars. Being bored out of my mind as I currently am, I would love to beta test this, if at all possible.

>snip<

10 bux in your box, etc.

By the way, you use Ubuntu, maybe you could tell me. Why wont rhythmbox play mp3s? I've tried installing gstreamer or whatever, I've installed all the plug in packages, and yet edgy eft still rhythmbox still wont 'find the plugins' I dont get it :(

You dont have to answer if ya dont want to, but if you know it off the top of your head let me know ^^;; no biggie, I know this isn't tech support.
Nice, throw him a bone the last minute for the beta :p

Seriously, I'd PM him your email and delete it from public view...

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 8 2007 at 04:45 AM said:
Auritribe posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:34 PM said:
Hi everyone,

donated 10 bux.

10 bux in your box, etc.

Nice, throw him a bone the last minute for the beta :p

Seriously, I'd PM him your email and delete it from public view...

If you wanna trash my box go ahead. I really dont care.

If he doesn't wanna send me the beta he doesn't have to. However, if the community is going to be a bunch of dicks to me over sending the donation now, rather than an hour ago, rather than a day ago, rather than a week or a month ago, then it'll be the last donation I ever make to anyone here. I have no problem donating, especially when I have a job, but when I haven't been employed for two months now due to circumstances beyond my control, I try to be a little tight with my money.

In any case, in the case you're saying I should remove the address for some other purpose, fraud, hax, spam, I willl do so now. But I dont appreciate being patronized for deciding to donate, regardless of the 'reason'.

By the way, if you genuinely care about my email address being blotted out, you may want to edit it out of your quote >_>

awww shucks! no beta for me then :lol:
whatever, although maybe I should make a paypal account.. :mellow:
I just have to get my psp modchipped and then I might donate to someone..

SiDCrAzY posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:04 AM said:
Chill out Auritribe.
Well, maybe its just being 12 AM, but it sounded like a threat to me. I've only had my gp2x for 3 months, two of those months I haven't had a job because of a crappy crappy circumstance.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the first time I decide to donate, I get shit for it. I genuinely dont care about testing the beta. But I figure to myself, I spend all that time in the thread, even announce that I bought a site in same thread, and then I'd be so stingy as to not donate? Fine, the timing was bad, and that makes me look bad, but I genuinely was going to donate once I had a job anyway.

In fact I still intend to donate to Squidge and Reesy when I have a job. But I dont have much money at all right now.

I don't think DCGM meant any harm by his comment. Thanks for the donation Auritribe! Very generous of you considering your current position. I haven't used Ubuntu for anything other than development since I run it under Parallels (virtualization for x86 Windows) so I don't have an answer for your problem currently. Please don't let people derail you from donating though. :)

Things are running really fast on gpSP so far. I added 1:1 translation ops, better branching outputted code, unscaled screen mode with centered screen on a black background (backgrounds won't be implemented in this release). I also added Squidges MMU patch which helped when using HW SDL with the upper memory. I am adding volume control now as the default volume is a bit loud. The sound output is much smoother now and not jittery unless it slows down for some reason.
I'm not sure since I am currently unable to test it, but gpsp.gpe takes a filename as it's first argument, so it can load a game from an external menu system. :)

I just played Yggdra Union, PacMan Collection, Super Mario Bros 4, Sonic Advance 2, Mario Kart Super Circuit, Chu Chu Rocket, and a bunch others without any issues. This is quite awesome!

Purple Goat: If you need help softmodding your PSP, I can help via PMs. :)

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:13 AM said:
I don't think DCGM meant any harm by his comment. Thanks for the donation Auritribe! Very generous of you considering your current position. I haven't used Ubuntu for anything other than development since I run it under Parallels (virtualization for x86 Windows) so I don't have an answer for your problem currently. Please don't let people derail you from donating though. :)

Things are running really fast on gpSP so far. I added 1:1 translation ops, better branching outputted code, unscaled screen mode with centered screen on a black background (backgrounds won't be implemented in this release). I also added Squidges MMU patch which helped when using HW SDL with the upper memory. I am adding volume control now as the default volume is a bit loud. The sound output is much smoother now and not jittery unless it slows down for some reason.
I'm not sure since I am currently unable to test it, but gpsp.gpe takes a filename as it's first argument, so it can load a game from an external menu system. :)

I just played Yggdra Union, PacMan Collection, Super Mario Bros 4, Sonic Advance 2, Mario Kart Super Circuit, Chu Chu Rocket, and a bunch others without any issues. This is quite awesome!

Purple Goat: If you need help softmodding your PSP, I can help via PMs. :)

I just recently got my license back after two months. It was suspended in the state I moved out of, then I had to go back to the original state to take a driving improvement class, I couldn't take it wehre I lived, then I had to go back to original state again to get my license unsuspended, first time I go they say they only do it on the weekdays, so I had to make two trips then.

I'm now waiting on getting re-insured and license changed over to the state I now live in >.>;;;

anyway, whatever...back to reinstalling sabayon... I screwed up the network config on the last install somehow.

Yeah thanks zod. I really didn't mean anything by it, it was just the standard warning. You're absolutely right though, I should have edited it out of my reply. My mistake.

Don't take things so personally man. The tongue smily shows my remark was light hearted ;)

edit: just for the record, putting you email out also makes it available for bots to pick up..... No one here is going to spam your box (believe me, ive been around enough to know most of the community).

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:20 AM said:
Yeah thanks zod. I really didn't mean anything by it, it was just the standard warning. You're absolutely right though, I should have edited it out of my reply. My mistake.

Don't take things so personally man. The tongue smily shows my remark was light hearted ;)

edit: just for the record, putting you email out also makes it available for bots to pick up..... No one here is going to spam your box (believe me, ive been around enough to know most of the community).

Yeah, sorry I've been kinda touchy tonight... having gone through about 6 linux reinstalls from switching back and forth from ubuntu to sabayon and back again does that to me @_@

Broadcom drivers are a bitch, and sabayon takes like an hour to install.

I should probly go sleep now, my apologies for exploding out on everyone.

Auritribe posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:28 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:20 AM said:

Yeah, sorry I've been kinda touchy tonight... having gone through about 6 linux reinstalls from switching back and forth from ubuntu to sabayon and back again does that to me @_@

Broadcom drivers are a bitch, and sabayon takes like an hour to install.

I should probly go sleep now, my apologies for exploding out on everyone.
You should switch to windows.

*runs*

Enough derailing this! Im sending zod (another? (Can't remember!)) donation now!

Donated last year, but am unlikely to have enough time to do any serious beta testing--however, somehow I doubt you will be lacking in candidates for that :)

Yay! This is going to be a really cool beta. :)

I also just added volume control. The menu is now the center volume, and volume control is vol_down/vol_up. No more weird A/Y menu issues.

:)

Back