Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

I got my 2X on Saturday. Here's my advice for you:

- Get Dr. MD with some good ROMs.

- Get Rage2X which is a frontend for that other Neo-Geo emulator and get Metal Slug; it runs well.

- Obviously, get this new release.

- Don't worry about homebrew games until you lose some interest in the emulators (if that's possible). Sometimes homebrew games are more trouble than they're worth if the compatibility sucks. There are some real gems out there though, so make sure you try out the homebrew games when the time is right!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 2X as much as I have.

I know that it' s not the good place, but what about the gizmondo version of psx4all?
We have no more news from zodttd since 14 days on the gizmondo forums. :(

thats because gizmondo stinks!? maybe?
<_<

A un-offending and not pre-teen answer:

I think the gp2x is the first system on their list, so they're gonna finish the next public release for the gp2x first, and maybe ( I don't know ) they'll fix the bugs first, port it then to gizmondo or will just stop the gizmondo part of it.
They were really busy working on this the last weeks and the public release could be here every second, that could be the reason for the lack of posts in the gizmondo forums. But my opinion is the same as vollgasis, it is just more gentleman-like if I say it that way.

But the best would it be, if you just write a short mail to zodttd or unai and ask them about it, I don't really think that anyone here knows much about the gizmondo version of this great emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that they consider cancelling a port, as with all, things sometimes get delayed.

I'm sure that they are doing a good job, so don't panic B)

THEME HOSPITAL PAL ( BIN ) :

OC : 250
VSYNC : Intro between 16 / 20
FPS : Intro between 4 / 5, Crashes on bullfrog logo.
INTERLACE : 0
PROGRESSIVE : OFF
UC_PSX : No changes

I know that it' s not the good place, but what about the gizmondo version of psx4all?
We have no more news from zodttd since 14 days on the gizmondo forums. :(

developments of one port improve others too. they are only few coders (notwithstanding that they are the best ones) but there's still a lot to be done! be patient, like we must be. ;)

btw: how much gizmondos exist? 3 or 4 prototypes? :D (i have nerver seen such a thing) <_<

@Vollgasasi : gentlemanlike!!!! :D a gp2x can stink too, its a question of owners hygienics :D

sorry i'm neither offending nor preteen (though sometimes i'd like to be preteen again!) gizmondo is just money making crap.

but,... oh well sorry :p

sorry i'm neither offending nor preteen (though sometimes i'd like to be preteen again!) gizmondo is just money making crap.

but,... oh well sorry :p

If they made money, why they go bankrupt?? :lol: they earned no money, they waste it!!! :D I´m agree with you! :p

i meant that smart ad thingie and stuff .. and yea they waste money and the company sucks. that's why my initial post was so rude.

you know infinium labs and the phantom console? they are even worse. but back to topic ok?

are your optimizations already part of the coming public beta?
what specific optimiziations have you implemented (speed up or compatibility)?
when is the dynarec applicable?
why are you no guru?? :lol: (I think you have earned it!)
a) Nope, they're only in my PC and Palm version currently :p I've not yet sent them to zodttd and Unai because they've still got some problems.
b ) Speed. Re-wrote a good part of the GPU in ASM.
c) When zodttd finishes it :)
d) Good question. Maybe because I don't do anything specific to GP32/GP2X...

Yea I definitely think Tinnus deserves guru status (maybe they are getting stingier about it, too many gurus around :p ) err you should definitely have a donation link up. Its nice to see u around the board more :D

@ Zodttd, Unai, Tinnus

What do you think about Squidge's MMU Hack?
Is it useful in our case anyway? Will it be a part of psx4gp2x ?
Or is something like this integrated already?
!!Questions of a gamer (no coder), if its to stupid discount it!! :D

@ Zodttd, Unai, Tinnus

I'm pretty sure if it is going to help speed up the emulator in any way they will include it... It is huge news now, so it will be applied to all that would need it/can use it.

@ Zodttd, Unai, Tinnus

Do you even read zod's messages? He just said it takes up less then 32mb (which raises some questions), so it can't make use of it.

The hack is only for programs that use more then 32mb of ram.

Sorry icurafu, I take back what I said.

After speaking to Squidge I found out the framebuffer is indeed in the upper 32MB of memory. So I was able to squeeze about 2 more FPS out of the emulator by using his mmu patch. It's what I've been busy with as it wasn't easy to get going stable.

So now that the mmu patch is in place and I have it stable, Unai's GPU is in a great state, I only have a few more things I would like to do with the emulator in terms of compatibility for this release.

For those wondering how I got the mmu patch stable, I can post a simple code snippet. It's pretty ugly, but by looping the two main uname writes until it returns something other than 0 or 0xfffffff2 it will work very smoothly.

So the mmu patch won't give a large speed increase as other emulators since psx4gp2x doesn't use upper ram other than the framebuffer from what Im aware of. The memory it uses is as fast as it gets now.

If I have time after the release tommorow, I will continue work on the dynarec, as it will give a VERY large speed increase once working. It will be my main focus for the next week or so. It will probably be a real pain, but it will be worth it however long it lands up taking.

The Gizmondo port is still being worked on, for those who are interested, but it's going very slowly in terms of development since the Giz still needs some work done within the development community to get it going at its full potential.

X-Code: Thanks for the great testing work! :)

So wait a little for the release, and I'll try my very best to get the newest version of psx4gp2x out tommorow.

Especially on games that are only 2 fps in-game anyway :D

Here's hoping for some reasonable speed increases in the new beta!
I think the dynarec'ed release will be the big one though.

Kev

Sounds great Zottd. Speaking of sounds, when do you think sound will be toggleable again in psx4gp2x?

Either way, excellent news. I may have to redonate when that dynarec is released! At the moment, though, Squidge will be garnering my money's attention.

For those wondering how I got the mmu patch stable, I can post a simple code snippet. It's pretty ugly, but by looping the two main uname writes until it returns something other than 0 or 0xfffffff2 it will work very smoothly.
I do the exact same thing :lol:
well, it try only 4 time. but with a little pause (100ms shoud suffice) just before the myuname call, it always work at the first attempt.

Back