Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

Dear God. Upon seeing this, I instantly purchased a GP2X from GBAX. I previously owned a GP32. :D
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone could link me to a guide on how to do this? I have many Playstation games at home and I want to rip the ISO and play it, but if someone could give me a guide I'd appreciate it.

Also, if you get FFVII, VIII and IX working at great frame rates, I will donate £50. Keep it up! ;)

On a sidenote, I am a greatly interested on how this progresses and I know that I cannot use the emulator to its current extent now as only beta testers are allowed that. If you could make me a beta tester, I would appreciate it so much. I was previously registered here but I forgot my user name! XD

is that with sound?! you know the sound is what makes a final fantasy a final fantasy!

thats so great 34 frames is full speed (30fps that is) and its so much more coming for optimization...

no sound at the moment and i agree that FF isnt the same without sound. but all good things come to those that wait.

and even without sound, the emulator is pretty damn impressive as it is at the moment.

I know I already asked this, but no one responded:
How well does Final Fantasy Tactics run?

And, while i'm at it, has anyone tried the following games:
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar Eternal Blue
Vagrant Story
Chrono Cross

Anyone tried G-Police or Colony Wars (to push it a little ;) )?

Also, can anyone remember where I put all my PS1 games? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Unai and I have been working non-stop on a new version of psx4gp2x. I have been working on getting a better toolchain to compile it with, as well as other optimizations. The biggest news is that I'm almost done with an initial build of a dynarec for ARM based platforms that psx4all supports, such as the GP2X. There's a 99.9% chance this initial build won't even be close to working, but I have a good grasp of what I'm doing now, and with the entire interpreter converted to ARM assembly by hand, I can now tackle the dynarec. I'll update everyone on how the initial build of the dynarec progresses over the next few days. I hope to have it done within a week, but my guess is it will take a month based on others expierences with this type of coding.

In the meantime, I've only optimized the ARM assembly interpreter to reach 37 FPS in-game on Buster Bros collection (2D game) at 270MHz oc. The same OC with the latest build gets about 10 FPS in Wipeout XL in-game (3D). So there's a slight speed increase, but nothing major yet. The dynarec will change that.

Compatibility is alot higher now though. Games such as Wipeout 3, RC De Go, Suikoden...the list goes on, now work. There are still a few games that do not work, as Unai has told me that Tekken 3 doesn't work. So while the compatibility is much higher, its still not perfect.

As for the Zodiac, I'll see if I can get Tinnus to work with me to get an updated Zodiac version. Though it should wait til the dynarec is done as it will need the extra performance.

Unai has worked out a lot of bugs in the GPU, and depending on how well this dynarec progresses, I'll see if we can release a version before the wait for the dynarec to be completed. I know Unai is very busy with the GPU working out some things he wanted to get done with it, so I imagine once he's done with that, a release is possible.

I really hope this dynarec works out, as it will give a considerable amount of performance thats greatly needed. The dynarec is not an easy thing to program, but I have everything laid out pretty well, and it's just a matter of time before it works. :)

The beta linked on this forum was the latest beta out. I'll get another version released as soon as possible. I need to discuss how to go about the release with Unai first though, so with a little patience you'll get it. :)

ZodTTD

The dedication towards this project that you two are giving is amazing. I can't help but feel that you get excited everytime you see an extra FPS, I know I do. I really hope project works out the way you are planning.
I showed the second beta that you released to my sisters boyfriend, running FF7 and he was extremely impressed. Every time he sees my GP2X he asks about how the PSX emulator is going on.

Anyway, err, yeh... Good luck and thanks!

Yeah - sounds like you two are doing an amazing job from what I've read - 51 pages, phew! Best of luck with the project; sounds fun.
Many people are following your progress and hanging on for your posts :D

Kev

Back