Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

Amazing stuff here.

If this emu gets close to fullspeed with sound. OMG. Lookout.

Lets hope the second processor can also be utilized for this as well: when someone does it (one person has an idea of how it will be usable: a 4K size sound decoder that fits exactly or less in the second core), it will mean huge speed increases in lots of emulators. However someone has to do it first =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be a little cynical of this project; How could they emulate Playstation games? Surely not on a 200mhz processor? But every week there seems to be some major improvement now, and it's made me really look forward to when this emulator gets a public release.

Your dedication is outstanding, please keep up the great work :)

@ Zodttd: Have you seen what Squidge has done to the MMU Cache tables?

When you add this code it can move or disable the MMU caching in the upper 32MB of ram, speeding up anything that uses that memory, thus the main CPU sees all 64MB and it all goes the same speed :).

You or Unai might want to look into this, pepone claims a 10-20 FPS speed up in gngeo, but only when run from terminal, not from Selector or Rage2X

Compatibility is alot higher now though. Games such as Wipeout 3, RC De Go, Suikoden...the list goes on, now work. There are still a few games that do not work, as Unai has told me that Tekken 3 doesn't work. So while the compatibility is much higher, its still not perfect.
Strange, I had Tekken3 in game on v0.10 or 0.09 or 0.35 (can't remember this was last December :)), it ran very very slow but it ran, I think it may have had some spiky polys running off-screen, but not that many, the hit textures looked like pure ambrosia on the GP2X screen :).

I had to skip straight to the menu by pressing Start as soon as the ISO loaded and I believe I may have replaced the Videos with blanks, or alternatively used the entire ISO, like I said it was last December.

I used to be a little cynical of this project; How could they emulate Playstation games? Surely not on a 200mhz processor? But every week there seems to be some major improvement now, and it's made me really look forward to when this emulator gets a public release.
I guess you never played the PSX emulators on a 200mhz PC then? It can be done and it is similar to the experience here, except the temptation to use 640x480 resolutions keeps it slow.

Hi Nubie,

I did take a look at Squidge's code for using the upper 32MB using the MMU cache tables. I could be wrong, but I think this only helps if using more than 32MB of RAM. Right now everything in psx4gp2x fits easily into the 32MB limit and uses plain old malloc.

What was really interesting was Franxis' use of the hardware blitter in that thread. He mentioned a speed increase when using the hardware blitter in the way he implemented it. I would like to try to use the hardware blit in psx4gp2x using his technique if possible, but in the code snippet he used a gp2x_2dregs, which I dont know where they were mmap'd from. I suppose I can take a look at paeryns SDL code to find out...

I'm going to give the open2x toolchain a chance and see if GCC 4.0.2 gives a speed increase any, just so I know I am using the most optimal toolchain.

ZodTTD

Hi Nubie,

I did take a look at Squidge's code for using the upper 32MB using the MMU cache tables. I could be wrong, but I think this only helps if using more than 32MB of RAM. Right now everything in psx4gp2x fits easily into the 32MB limit and uses plain old malloc.

What was really interesting was Franxis' use of the hardware blitter in that thread. He mentioned a speed increase when using the hardware blitter in the way he implemented it. I would like to try to use the hardware blit in psx4gp2x using his technique if possible, but in the code snippet he used a gp2x_2dregs, which I dont know where they were mmap'd from. I suppose I can take a look at paeryns SDL code to find out...
Wow, we are still in the first 32MB? That is cool.

Yeah, I guess the blitter stuff is fairly undocumented, best of luck :).

(Selling my nForce XPC on ebay, topic here in marketplace, hope to have enough scratch to buy a GP2X again soon :)).

I am looking forward to seeing this thing run again, although it is so tempting to try and help people get stuff to work, and it is really hard to communicate intricacies of the sort the GP2X fosters in a forum.

Not that I'm a beta tester ( though I do have the beta as it was posted here ;) )...

I've tested the following game or four B)

Ridge Racer Revolution :

OC : 250
VSYNC : Can't Remember lol
FPS : Ingame Between 3 / 6, some graphic problems, but they are probably caused by the redraw speed.

Need For Speed - High Stakes:

FPS : Ingame Between 3 / 5 but looking very good, the main issue is the speed, the rest of the game works quite nicely.

Legend Of Mana :

FPS : Ingame Between 15 / 22, very playable I would daresay ;)

Worms Armageddon :

FPS : Ingame Between 15 / 20, also a very playable game ;)

Next ones that I'll be testing are:

Oddworld - Abe's Oddysee
Oddworld - Abe's Exoddus
Driver
Driver 2
Gran Turismo 2
V-Rally 3
Ridge Racer Type 4

And some others, I can't remember half of my games :blink:

Keep up the good work, I think that you devs are deserving some form of contribution, so I'll try to sort one out soonish... At least enough for a couple of beers lol :p

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all these games were PAL format. My GP2X is a Mark II / Firmware 2.0.0

Driver:

FPS : Ingame Between 4 / 10, Menus between 5 / 24. Some minor graphic problems... Would be great to see this running with even a couple FPS more :)

EDIT : All CD images tested so far are BIN

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee :

VSYNC : Can't Remember lol <--- Happens quite often :blink:
FPS : Ingame Between 17 / 24, Very playable game , some small graphic issues, but nothing that should seriously impair playability.

Somebody please test "Dead or Alive" again. I know it's asking a bit much at the moment, but I love this game. :p

I have no idea of what I have spoken of as well. Whatever was I thinking? The "jiggle effect", what could that be except the dynamic ingame rendition of gravity's effect on the mammary glands of iDoA's exceptionally busty female characters? Oops!

:p

(I rewrote this post about 5 times, trying to come up with a reply, but have decided that the tonguie smilie above is probably the only appropriate way of expressing myself)

Back