Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

good news... nice to come home and see that the scene hasn't slept. Looking forward to the next release!

Is Final Fantasy Tactics playable? I tried it awhile ago but it was way to slow to be playable and had many problems . . .

Does psx4gp2x support different bios (PAL scph7502 or JAP scph1000) or only the NTSC bios (scph1001)?

Good question - I wouldn't see why it wouldn't support them - it was a port of another emulator, was it not? Now thinking - people have played PAL games on this emulator, and I do not believe they could have done that without the PAL bios... so I'd say it is compatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does psx4gp2x support different bios (PAL scph7502 or JAP scph1000) or only the NTSC bios (scph1001)?

Good question - I wouldn't see why it wouldn't support them - it was a port of another emulator, was it not? Now thinking - people have played PAL games on this emulator, and I do not believe they could have done that without the PAL bios... so I'd say it is compatable.

But I've read around that psx4gp2x works also without bios, but with major glitches and little compatibility. I've tried Metal Gear Solid PAL (renaming the PAL bios scph7502.bin to scph1001.bin), but it takes a lot of time to load the konami logo and the title screen (about three to four minutes) and it shows major graphical glitches in the menu. If i try to start a new game it shows a black screen and anything else...
I've not tried other games yet since i have no time (damn exams!)...

You have to use a bit of disk swapping to get it to work, iirc. Either using a cheat cart (you tell the cart you're ging to load a game from the US, and it forces a swap after the PSX has loaded the pal loader from some other disk - relatively safe to do) or by sticking a spring under the "open lid" sensor, starting up any pal game, and yoinking the CD after the copyright notice to replace it with the NTSC one.

Friends had to do it to play Xenogears - and considering how amazing that game is, I'm very glad they did!

Well, since PAL PSX runs NTSC games without problems, I don't see why emulator couldn't, to the same extent.
:blink:
This is quite new for me...
My PAL PSX doesn't read any kind of NTSC disc...
Do you have a mod-chip or a Gameshark with the modified firmware to load any disc? All you need is a device to bypass the country region protection on the disc.

I think most games just need to be set into the right video mode, since one of the first concerns of an emulator is compatibility, nearly all emulators come with video modes that work properly.

Usually the only difference between PAL and NTSC games was the mode the actual TV-Out chip in the PSX was set to, since we don't even have a PSX TV-Out chip the modes are immaterial to the emulator, it is rendering it to a memory location and displaying it with completely different hardware.

Well, since PAL PSX runs NTSC games without problems, I don't see why emulator couldn't, to the same extent.
:blink:
This is quite new for me...
My PAL PSX doesn't read any kind of NTSC disc...

In theory, only thing needed are a toothpick and nimble fingers. Toothpick to fool the machine into thinking the CD-cover is still closed, and then just switch PAL game to NTSC, after the... SCEE logo has faded, I seem to recall. There are more sophisticated aproaches, of course...

On an older tv, one might get black'n white picture... This happened on and old C=64 monitor I used while doing my civil-service. But, as it were, Medal of Honor did get a sort of an old WWII-movie feel to it, from the BW-graphics. :)

I just figured out what caused A LOT of games not to run at all, or crash mid-game. I also converted about 90% of the interpreter (psx cpu emulation) to ARM assembly. Everything it working smoothly. So an update is seems on it's way, but Unai and I will have to take a break at some point to release it. :)

So the next update will have a more (but how much Im not sure) speed and a lot more compatibility. :)

Will keep everyone posted. Thanks. :)
ZodTTD
Any chance that you will go back and update the Zodiac version with these new fixes?

i doubt that the zodiac could handle it

also how fast is this running (i dont feel like reading all 50 pages at 2:00 am)

well atleast its something (i wonder if its capeable of runnin any ff game at reasonable speeds?)

also great job zodttd (i see you keeping up the great work)

doesn'T the zodiac have a 200mhz arm processor? so it should be capable i guess.

... but stay at the gp2x project for now :)

Back