Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

I will get things written up over the next couple of days, the 3D and X11 stuff is definitely at a state where it is testing-worthy now (main remaining issues are the tearing at the left of the screen, and external display support.)

In terms of the audio, that is a quick test to do on whatever image you are currently using as long as sound was working. Start some audio playing in one window; and in another terminal run "sudo python /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/vibra.py", and report how often this results in corrupted audio.

Now the thread is back on track, is there a chance you could share some more photos or thoughts on the case @daveshah? There's a earth-shattering decision reaching us fast, and I'd like a little more to help us decide between dark chrome and black. Currently I'm on the dark chrome side of the fence, but not by far...

If that's ok for you.

It appears that daveshah has solved another problem. As per kernel mailing lists, issue of audio glitches is solved now.

Well here is a pdf dialog of that mailing list thread for those not on the list if you're curious.

Attachments

• TWL6040 decoupling.pdf
    147.4 KB · Views: 249
@daveshah
I am likely to have a bit more time on my hands starting next week. Have things progressed to where it is worthwhile to write up step by step in order to have additional hands and eyes testing things?

Here are some instructions to try (I haven't actually tried them verbatim yet so expect problems...).

If you aren't on Buster already, you can start from this image: https://packages.pyra-handheld.com/rootfs/buster/mate.img.7z

Run:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.6.15-letux-lpae-dave dri3wsegl-pyra xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5

Reboot, and replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fbturbo.conf with the following content (you will need to be root to edit this file):

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Pyra  FBDEV"
    Driver        "omap5"
    Option        "DRICard" "2" # must point to the /dev/dri/cardX corresponding to omapdrm because detection can sometimes fail
    Option        "DriverName" "omapdrm"
    Option        "SoftEXA" "false" # will disable etnaviv acceleration. CPU only EXA is actually faster, but let all the work to A15 core
    Option        "TilerRotation" "270"
EndSection

Finally, reboot again, and you will now have 3D and X11 playing together. Download a gl4es build from ds0.me/libGL.so.zip and extract it somewhere (for the sake of below, /home/david/gl4es).

Then, in a terminal, run

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/omap5-sgx-ddk-um-linux/lib/:/home/david/gl4es DRI3_VSYNC=1
glxgears

Make sure that glxgears runs smoothly. If you are connected over SSH or serial, rather than a terminal window on the Pyra itself, you will need to add DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority to the export command.

Finally, in the same terminal, run SuperTux:
Code:
sudo apt-get install supertux
/usr/games/supertux2

Let me know how you get on with this :) I do apologise that it isn't as user-friendly as it could be, but it's still a work in progress.

Addendum:
- when I say reboot, I really mean "turn off and on again", soft reboots are still in the progress of being fixed and a patch isn't included in that kernel yet
- if you get spurious '+' button presses, run "sudo rfkill block wwan"

Last edited:
Here are some instructions to try (I haven't actually tried them verbatim yet so expect problems...).

If you aren't on Buster already, you can start from this image: https://packages.pyra-handheld.com/rootfs/buster/mate.img.7z

Run:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.6.15-letux-lpae-dave dri3wsegl-pyra xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5

Reboot, and replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fbturbo.conf with the following content (you will need to be root to edit this file):

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Pyra  FBDEV"
    Driver        "omap5"
    Option        "DRICard" "2" # must point to the /dev/dri/cardX corresponding to omapdrm because detection can sometimes fail
    Option        "DriverName" "omapdrm"
    Option        "SoftEXA" "false" # will disable etnaviv acceleration. CPU only EXA is actually faster, but let all the work to A15 core
    Option        "TilerRotation" "270"
EndSection

Finally, reboot again, and you will now have 3D and X11 playing together. Download a gl4es build from ds0.me/libGL.so.zip and extract it somewhere (for the sake of below, /home/david/gl4es).

Then, in a terminal, run

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/omap5-sgx-ddk-um-linux/lib/:/home/david/gl4es DRI3_VSYNC=1
glxgears

Make sure that glxgears runs smoothly. If you are connected over SSH or serial, rather than a terminal window on the Pyra itself, you will need to add DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority to the export command.

Finally, in the same terminal, run SuperTux:
Code:
sudo apt-get install supertux
/usr/games/supertux2

Let me know how you get on with this :) I do apologise that it isn't as user-friendly as it could be, but it's still a work in progress.

Addendum:
- when I say reboot, I really mean "turn off and on again", soft reboots are still in the progress of being fixed and a patch isn't included in that kernel yet
- if you get spurious '+' button presses, run "sudo rfkill block wwan"
I’m confused, I thought “-get” was deprecated?

Sorry, I'm not a Debian person :) probably best to replace apt-get with just apt
But here’s not the first place I’ve seen “apt-get” quoted since it was supposedly deprecated so that’s why I’m confused - otherwise I’d have just assumed it was a typo hangup from before it was deprecated lol

The only reason I used it was out of habit, but it does still work fine.
Habit! That’s the word I was looking for! Ah ok so when something’s deprecated, that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work thereafter?

Yes, until it's been actually removed (I guess it's probably now a symlink) it'll continue to work, and you could always make that symlink yourself if it does eventually get removed from the debian distribution. Deprecated just means you should learn the newer way to do it because we might remove it some time.

uhm... it's derailing again.
I don't think it's deprecated. They serve different purposes. apt is more end user focused whereas apt-get is more conservative regarding backward compatibility and such.
apt [...] is intended as an end user interface and enables some options better suited for interactive usage by default compared to more specialized APT tools like apt-get [...]
https://manpages.debian.org/buster/apt/apt.8.en.html#DESCRIPTION

I like chocobos a bit more
But everybody needs at least one bird ^^ (in Germany, if they say you have a bird, they mean you are „plemplem „ ) ^^

Whit best regards, Matthias

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Hey Dave, could you please post more videos? Don't forget about us mere mortals who have never seen a Pyra on the flesh, whenever you have some extra free time of course.
Here are some suggestions:
  • Using the Pyra outside, under the sunlight
  • RGB lighting under the finished lid logo (I don't remember seeing any footage of this)
  • Testing the vibration motor
  • Testing the Bosch sensors, particularly curious about BME280
  • Testing GPS, assuming your unit has modem

Back