Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

Ooh, day 9 looks like it's been a busy one; was 573, is currently 589, making 16 sales if nobody's bought one in the last five minutes! That's the most sales since day 6.

Edit: And someone did buy one, so that's 17 sales!

Edit2: And that makes a certain number of EU4G sales; it's the big:
300.jpg

The ninth 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

It seems we got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)
18 Pre-orders in the fifth 24 hours (525)
26 Pre-orders in the sixth 24 hours (551)
12 Pre-orders in the seventh 24 hours (563)
10 Pre-orders in the eight 24 hours (573)
17 Pre-orders in the ninth 24 hours (590)

Note: Daily figures also include converted Pre Pre-orders. As such , actual new pre-orders would be a little less than quoted figures.

Is it really a concern to have those numbers?, where was it stated a minimum number needed to happen?
I didn't plan on getting a cell enabled version on the sole fact it won't work on my current provider and they're the only provider in my area.

Oh, no that means if we don't get to 500 US versions I won't get my LTE version with GPS built in!

I imagine it probably working like this:

1000 mainboards will be ordered as soon as affordable
500 preorders (currently at 407) for mobile version *any region*, could pay for 500 PLS8-E chips (which have the most demand)
when enough of those (and non-mobile versions) have sold, the profit from final sales or new pre-orders, should make it affordable to order 500 PLS8-US chips - even if less than 500 had been ordered yet,
then at some point there'd be enough funds for a second batch of PLS8-E... etc.

My point is, after the first 500 PLS8-E chips are paid for, any pre-order - even for the non-mobile or PLS8-E versions - makes it possible to order the first batch of PLS8-US sooner. With the expectation that 'eventually' the shop would be able to use all 500 PLS8-US. It's not necessary to wait for 500 US orders.

Last edited:
@stevenc99 are you recommending that US units be manufactured and shipped after EU and standard ones, or to keep preorders open until enough total units have been preordered? It sounds like you meant the former. I don't like the sound of either, but waiting, at least for US mobile buyers, seems like the only decent option (other than buying modules in a smaller quantity through a third party).

I don't really see it being a problem unless he decides to switch to a different mobile chip in the future. If he needs to he can take up a collection from those of us that want a US 4G model (myself included). ED doesn't need all 500 to go ahead and order the chips, he just needs enough money to cover all the parts, period.

Oh man been awhile since visiting the forums and preorders started.

Sucks as I have a new kid and not feeling very financial right now as our dual income house turned into a single income with a small cash eating critter, not to mention the AU dollar dropped.

Stupid expensive Australia.

@stevenc99 are you recommending that US units be manufactured and shipped after EU and standard ones, or to keep preorders open until enough total units have been preordered? It sounds like you meant the former. I don't like the sound of either, but waiting, at least for US mobile buyers, seems like the only decent option (other than buying modules in a smaller quantity through a third party).
I really like the third party option, I don't see why it's not considered more. I'd be willing to pay 10 or 20 euros more if it means I get one.

it's nice to know we have options, but let the pre-orders play out before we assume we have to scrap or modify US 4G. it may make people less apt to purchase it, if they hear this kind of talk.

it's nice to know we have options, but let the pre-orders play out before we assume we have to scrap or modify US 4G. it may make people less apt to purchase it, if they hear this kind of talk.
That's a good point, I'll be quiet about it now.

I thought 'Muricans are the masters of advertising. Just make more people over there want a Pyra.
Seeing how expensive used Pandoras are over there atm, it seems as if there aren't many people interested in such a device but the ones that are want it very much.

@stevenc99 are you recommending that US units be manufactured and shipped after EU and standard ones

*Iff* there's no money to buy 500 EU and 500 US chips all together, then yes I think it makes sense to sell a batch of 500 EU units and some non-mobile units. Once they are fully paid for, the profit should allow to buy 500 US chips before there are 500 US preorders. I just hope the lead time on these parts isn't too long.

Further EU preorders (after the first 500), could subsidise the purchase of US chips to happen even sooner. At a 3:1 ratio it seems likely there'd be 750 EU preorders (500 of which shipped) by the time there are 250 US preorders. That's still money to buy 500 chips, even if it has to be a batch of US chips (to fulfill the orders that have waited longest) and then the second EU batch has to wait its turn.

After a second EU batch, there'd be spare EU and US chips stocked, no waiting time and so probably no need for preorders any more.

So - no need to worry! Anyway I'm sure ED has it figured out already :)
[doublepost=1462871065,1462870399][/doublepost]
Okay, it's even simpler than that! ED can commit to buying 500+ EU and 500 US chips without paying for all of them up-front:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...ate-more-pre-orders.77370/page-3#post-1378083

So it seems the first batch of Pyras can be a mix of EU and US in any ratio. And hopefully all 500 US units will eventually sell, to make the money back.

Back