Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

I wonder whether "He who must not be named" is aware of the Pyra and if so, whether he pre-ordered one.

TBF without his vision, the Pandora and thusly the Pyra wouldn't exist. Thankfully, despite HWMNBN's feck ups, ED managed to keep the torch burning :)
Maybe he will receive one as a thank you.
[doublepost=1462731013,1462730581][/doublepost]
We have a believer! :D
I would like it to happen, just like with the Win. I am more likely to buy one of them than the Win, too (if they have an official *nix version...not including Android/iOS, if they fall into that category for some people...). I don't know if they will be able to make it happen. I think I am more of a Pyra user, since it isn't all about games for me, and the whole physical keyboard thing, however I love all these great little devices, and wish there were more.

I would like it to happen, just like with the Win. I am more likely to buy one of them than the Win, too (if they have an official *nix version...not including Android/iOS, if they fall into that category for some people...). I don't know if they will be able to make it happen. I think I am more of a Pyra user, since it isn't all about games for me, and the whole physical keyboard thing, however I love all these great little devices, and wish there were more.
Assuming that it isn't an hoax - they are making exactly the same mistakes we have already seen in the original first production of the OpenPandora. If this won't simply get aborted (or declared as an hoax), it will have the same pricing problems as the Pandora and will result in about thrice the price but without the great custom software the Pandora has.
ED's documentations on this board are gold for every tech startup and people could learn a lot from it.

*ahem* You mean "pre-orders," yes? Thus far, 0 Pyras have been sold, considering a final revision doesn't exist. Ergo, no Pyras are available to purchase. Besides, a pre-order can be cancelled at any time, for any reason, without a single Pyra leaving Dragonbox.

Minor correction. 8 Pyra prototypes have been sold. With conversion and shipping to US, mine was a bit over $1700. Delivery still pending.
[doublepost=1462732139,1462732032][/doublepost]
:D Made my day.
I am dissapointed that you didn't draw us a caricature to suit that... please?

Y
Minor correction. 8 Pyra prototypes have been sold. With conversion and shipping to US, mine was a bit over $1700. Delivery still pending.
[doublepost=1462732139,1462732032][/doublepost]
I am dissapointed that you didn't draw us a caricature to suit that... please?
You had to rub it in... Yes, we know you will have a Pyra before the rest of us mere mortals. We shall cower in your shadow while we wait for out pyras.:D

Assuming that it isn't an hoax - they are making exactly the same mistakes we have already seen in the original first production of the OpenPandora. If this won't simply get aborted (or declared as an hoax), it will have the same pricing problems as the Pandora and will result in about thrice the price but without the great custom software the Pandora has.
ED's documentations on this board are gold for every tech startup and people could learn a lot from it.
I agree. The major difference, afaik, is that they haven't taken any money. I don't like how tight lipped they are about things, but not everyone is as open as ED. I won't be preordering if that is something they do (just like I didn't with the Pandora). Most of us are pretty sure they can't do it at the price they want to, especially with all the fancy stuff like telescoping sticks, however they might be able to do it at a higher price. They could prove us wrong and get a million orders and do it fairly cheap.

I considered mentioning that too, however I thought that came with a caveat of "if we have enough prototypes left", which is why you thought you might not get one.

Y

You had to rub it in... Yes, we know you will have a Pyra before the rest of us mere mortals. We shall cower in your shadow while we wait for out pyras.:D
I seem to remember something about more money than sense. :p

The 1Ghz Pandora did cost a good chunk more than 600€ once if you bought a CC Pandora earlier and upgraded it later like I did.
yup... I payed close to 1000 euro for it... (700 something for the full package, then 300 for the lower quality one, and extra thingies again, like a second battery, a charger that actually worked (because the first didnt) finally a real second one, just to see if those were better build... and yes... those full-priced were better); Then some donation money for the stingy or unfortunate ones that could not fork over 300 euro to get one... it was not cheap. But it was worth it.

"The Pandora was burned to the ground by a madman who jumped off of roofs to promote his gadgets. From its ashes, the Pyra rose. Led by a man who breathes technology and bleeds coffee, never will the Pyra suffer the same pitfalls in its development that plagued the Pandora."
they did a good promotion, didnt they? Hey, did anyone of us get a hair from E.D. in their packaged Pandora? We could use that to clone him...

they did a good promotion, didnt they? Hey, did anyone of us get a hair from E.D. in their packaged Pandora? We could use that to clone him...
Or when we have silly ideas he couldn't reasonably consider, we try some voodoo with that.

The pandora continues to be expensive even as a second-hand device. I had to wheel and deal to get a 1ghz one for less than 800 dollars (canadian) about a year ago (CIB, good condition with no hinge or case cracks). Not sure what it's like now that ED has injected some more stock into the market but it was tough out there when I was looking and resellers were adamant about the price.

Recently while showing it to a nerd friend he asked the price and was completely taken aback when I revealed the sad truth. I was asked if I would do it again, and responded without question that I would.

Its the most expensive second hand device I've ever owned, but also the most powerful and practical. I would rather spend the full price on a Pyra than buy another subsidized smartphone with a neutered corporate OS that I have to trick into doing what I want.

The Eight 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

It seems we got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)
18 Pre-orders in the fifth 24 hours (525)
26 Pre-orders in the sixth 24 hours (551)
12 Pre-orders in the seventh 24 hours (563)
10 Pre-orders in the eight 24 hours (573)

Note: Daily figures also include converted Pre Pre-orders. As such , actual new pre-orders would be a little less than quoted figures.

I finally managed to parse the updated thread title... 'priorly' should be 'previously' if it is going to make any sense at all.

Or "was" can be used. It doesn't matter, there are much more messed up thread titles around.

I did wonder if 'priorly' was a valid word, correctly used. My dictionary defines prior as an advective as meaning the same as previous, amongst other definitions, which would suggest priorly==previously. But it's certainly an unusual way of naming a renamed thread - I've seen either 'previously named...' or 'was...' before, but not 'priorly named...'.

I did wonder if 'priorly' was a valid word, correctly used. My dictionary defines prior as an advective as meaning the same as previous, amongst other definitions, which would suggest priorly==previously. But it's certainly an unusual way of naming a renamed thread - I've seen either 'previously named...' or 'was...' before, but not 'priorly named...'.
There are plenty of other words that fit. Had I known it was going to be changed again I would have recommended erstwhile instead of was.

[RANT] Mint is one of the most bass-ackwards distros I've ever seen. "Hey, let's fork GNOME3, and never update it! We'll call it 'stable!'" Ever heard of Solus? They got it right. Focus on what matters the most: the UI. Gnome's got the underlying tech squared-away. No need to fork every component under-the-sun and give it delicious-sounding nicknames. [/RANT]
Eh? Since when did Mint mean Cinnamon?
Well, the WIN had a hugely-successful IndieGoGo fundraiser
Since when did ~1800-2000 units become HUGELY-successful?

I would go on, but I really don't care to. :D

more promotional material (tongue in cheek):
The-First-Pyra.png

Back