Release PPSSPP, Emulator for PSP

What are the best PSP games that work well on a 1Ghz model?
Doesn't the compatibility list on the first page show this information? :p  
Quit being rude... A horrible boring game might have great compatibility! 

What's the best game that works well.

On my unit (overclocked at 1.2Ghz) , Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 runs above 50FPS.  Dragon Ball Evolution and MicroMachines V4 at 40 FPS average...

Wow, I can't believe they actually stretched the aspect ratio instead of increasing the viewport, what a lazy port.. But I guess par for the course for PAL stuff :/

Thanks for the link rohezal.
Looks like they cropped the images instead of stretching them.

Looks like they cropped the images instead of stretching them.
It looks to me like they did both. It's possible the original image wasn't intended for exactly square pixels, and probably some of that was cropped by the TV anyway. But what they have here looks like they cropped to about a 196 pixel tall image meaning about a 1.63 aspect ratio while the PSP's aspect is 1.76. Everything looks wider but it's most obvious with the characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a beta version of PPSSPP. It's up to 0.7.6 now, with better localisation (inside PSP also now), but I have problem with the new FrameSkipping code. There is something fishy here, but cannot exactly found what. If some of you want to test, grab the PND. But be warned, I found Frameskiping to most of the time not show anything (but it should do max 3 frameskip, so that strange).

*EDIT* Grab build 18 on the repo, it works better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested it, and found out that only when Alpha Hack is enabled, I could get into most of the games.  Just a very wild guess: Could it be related to the alpha tests introduced in v.0.7.6.266 and v.0.7.6.277?

Regarding to the frameskip options, I found, in my tests, that '1' makes the gameplay very fluid, but equally slow... '2' makes it flicker so hard, that it's unuseable.  'Auto' is, therefore, the only sensible option. 

I tested it, and found out that only when Alpha Hack is enabled, I could get into most of the games.  Just a very wild guess: Could it be related to the alpha tests introduced in v.0.7.6.266 and v.0.7.6.277?
Thanks for hint. I'll look at thoses 2 revisions. I also found it strange to have it running OK only with Alpha Hack enable. I doesn't make sense too ?!

Well, I will try some vanilla (without Alpha Hack) build this weekend, and I'll see if it's still needed or not. I think it is, but current behavor is inconsistant for me, so why not.

New build on the repo. I think my problem with the Alpha Hack was that I was trying to use the new translation System... I don't now, and it seems to work better. I still have issue with "Auto" FrameSkip (Auto means 3 frame max, in fact). But it's a good release. I think some games have a good speedup, like Ridge Racer 2, and some are begeniing to be playable (like Split Scond, but unfortunatly way too slow for now).

Build 18
-----------
 * In sync with current git repository

Can't see much difference for Dissidia 012.

Screen is black with Frameskip not Auto.

Auto is fine as before.

Wow, Street fighter alpha3 is actually faster than normal and very playable BUT it has to be at frameskip 2 or there is no video, so that makes the game fast but somewhat choppy, Still this is VERY encouraging.

Sorry to report that Sid Meier's pirates crashes on startup now that I've upgraded...

Hey, does this thing actually work on a ReBirth, clocked at 800?

I might want to check this out if it can work.
Yes, some games (a few to be honest) are playable on a ReBirth. The more speed (CPU & GPU), the better.

Sorry to report that Sid Meier's pirates crashes on startup now that I've upgraded...
Try to play with "FastMem" and FrameSkip and Buffered Rendering. That's the mains things that can cause segfault.

Hey, does this thing actually work on a ReBirth, clocked at 800?

I might want to check this out if it can work.
Yes, some games (a few to be honest) are playable on a ReBirth. The more speed (CPU & GPU), the better.

>Sorry to report that Sid Meier's pirates crashes on startup now that I've upgraded...
Try to play with "FastMem" and FrameSkip and Buffered Rendering. That's the mains things that can cause segfault.
Thanks for the tip. Removing Fastmem did it for me!

Never mind, I worked it out.

But can anyone tell me...how can you do an in-game save?

Without some kind of memory stick it wants you to have?

I mean, you could hardly play Final Fantasy without a way to save your progress....

But I have that one working, just to try this thing out.

Back