Tinnus said:
gleshot6xu8.png

gleshot7qi0.png
Smooooooooooooooooooooooooth... :D

Thanks Tinnus!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great, fellows.

Correct me please if I'm understanding this wrong:

Fully 3D games like Ridge Racer be rendered at 640x480.
Fully 2D games like Rayman will be 320x240 blown up to 640x480 (or stretched to fullscreen).
Games which are a combination of 2D and 3D will be both of the above depending on what is shown at a given time.

Tinnus, feel free to correct me if Im wrong here...

Fully 3D games like Ridge Racer be rendered at 640x480.
Fully 2D games like Rayman will be 320x240 blown up to 640x480 (or stretched to fullscreen).
Games which are a combination of 2D and 3D will be both of the above depending on what is shown at a given time.

I believe the OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU will render everything, 2D or "3D". Whether its a polygon or sprite, it will be rendered using OpenGL.

Playstation games can use a combination of horizontal and vertical resolutions, beyond that of 320x240 and 640x480. Many games switch between resolutions multiple times within their gameplay.

Where I could be mistaken is whether Tinnus feels it's best to scale everything to 800x480 or 640x480, or some sort of way to keep each resolutions aspect correct within the Pandoras 800x480 display. Personally I think it would be best to maintain aspect ratio of the games resolution and scale to the largest size within 800x480.

6th! (No fishybawbs, it's not lice :mellow: )

I was at first pretty skeptical about playing PSX games on Pandora at 800x480, but after seeing those two screens... well, color me impressed. :D

Just look at those character models in the FF7 screen! :)

zodttd said:
I believe the OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU will render everything, 2D or "3D". Whether its a polygon or sprite, it will be rendered using OpenGL.

Correct. You see, the GPU doesn't give a damn about the game "being 2D" or not. In 2x mode it will simply render each primitive to 2x its size in the screen--that means it won't render to 1x and then re-scale the entire screen, but actually scale each element individually. This may, ot may not, in your opinion look better :)

Where I could be mistaken is whether Tinnus feels it's best to scale everything to 800x480 or 640x480, or some sort of way to keep each resolutions aspect correct within the Pandoras 800x480 display. Personally I think it would be best to maintain aspect ratio of the games resolution and scale to the largest size within 800x480.

We'll just add an option "adjust screen size/position" and one will use it to set the game's proportions however one likes it, and this aspect will be maintained along the game. You see, I can't keep the proportion the *game* renders to because some render to very weird dimensions like 512x240 (ie: extra resolution in only one dimension) :) And in the original console, I believe the video out circuitry scaled the stuff to the same aspect in the TV signal so it makes sense to do the same here.

Personally, I will stick to full screen cutting some top&bottom borders :)

Tinnus said:
You see, I can't keep the proportion the *game* renders to because some render to very weird dimensions like 512x240 (ie: extra resolution in only one dimension) :) And in the original console, I believe the video out circuitry scaled the stuff to the same aspect in the TV signal so it makes sense to do the same here.
Although I'm sure you're right that the output circuitry scales horizontally, in the case of 240 vs 480 height I would expect that the former is effectively non-interlaced and the latter is interlaced. So it makes sense to line-double the output of non-interlaced mode, even if you don't scale the image horizontally. Some people are going to moan about horizontal scaling no matter what BUT as most people think Picodrive's horizontal scaling looks great I'm sure they won't be that opposed to bilinear filtering going to 640 wide. Going to 800 wide is not going to be that great though, IMO, since that does distort the aspect ratio. Don't most PS1 games tend to be 320 wide anyway? Then again, there's also > 320 available...

Exophase said:
Although I'm sure you're right that the output circuitry scales horizontally, in the case of 240 vs 480 height I would expect that the former is effectively non-interlaced and the latter is interlaced. So it makes sense to line-double the output of non-interlaced mode, even if you don't scale the image horizontally.

Yes, the height is either 224, 240 or 480, where 480 is interlaced. That means that for, say a 512x240 game we just render to a regular 1x VRAM and for Tom Raiders that do 512x240 we only double the vertical resolution. OK, I'm going to add that option... :p

Don't most PS1 games tend to be 320 wide anyway? Then again, there's also > 320 available...

Either 256, 320, 368, 384, 480, 512 or 640 wide. Games actually used all of them, can't say one was more "common" than the others. They mostly used the biggest they could considering the need for storing textures in the rest of the VRAM.

Sweet, thanks Tinnus, you are da man.

This is more like ;):
gleshot7qi0_fix.PNG

http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/Psx4Pa...605967904888882

I would Loooove, to see some Gran Turismo Action on this thing, or Vigilante 8, or NFS3

Edit, notice that what Tinnus is saying is that we could scale it up a little bit and cut off the top and bottom of the picture so as to use more of the screen.

As long as we get a choice of the backend and frontend render and scaling options everyone will be able to set it to what they want, hopefully a good comprimise between pixel-for-pixel and proper aspect ratio. (a fine line to be sure, as the screen is pretty small, so 1:1 is not going to do it, and I can't stand objects that change their shape as you move around, ala stretched to widescreen).

Keep in mind that the PSX was displayed on a TV, so unless you were heavily into your TV's Service menu (so what?) back when the PSX was popular you will likely be plenty happy with these results.

I can't help thinking that this will be a million times better than a PSP. (including the native games :p)

nubie said:
I can't help thinking that this will be a million times better than a PSP. (including the native games :p)
Didn't you mean excluding ? :huh:
PSP commercial games are the best (playing stuff like the latest tekken or god of war in a portable is a dream come true), but the pandora will kick PSP's ass in everything else

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
nubie said:
Didn't you mean excluding ? :huh:
PSP commercial games are the best (playing stuff like the latest tekken or god of war in a portable is a dream come true), but the pandora will kick PSP's ass in everything else

PSP commercial games suck. They are, for the most part, shitty remakes or sequels to Playstation games (you can play the original on the Pandora).
The only game that was actually half decent was Patapon.
I was really disappointed with God of War: CoO, I paid fifty bucks for it, and I haven't played it since the day I got it.

PlopperZ said:
I was really disappointed with God of War: CoO, I paid fifty bucks for it, and I haven't played it since the day I got it.
How can you be dissapointed by a game that you haven't even played yet? :-||

@PSX4Pandora team:
It's looking great. My PSP just went out of business.

Shiny said:
PlopperZ said:
How can you be dissapointed by a game that you haven't even played yet? :-||

I played it once, on the day I got it.

PlopperZ said:
I played it once, on the day I got it.
You shouldn't give up so easily :/ You can't tell if a game is good or not if you've barely played it.

Back