Playstation Emulation

Shiny said:
PlopperZ said:
I played it once, on the day I got it.
You shouldn't give up so easily :/ You can't tell if a game is good or not if you've barely played it.

Meh, I played it for a few hours, got halfway through it, and could tell that it sucked. If a game doesn't grab my attention from the beginning I get bored of it.
I've never played God of War 1 or 2, so I can't really compare.
I might play it again sometime just to see if it gets any better.

EDIT: Now I got it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiny said:
PlopperZ said:
You shouldn't give up so easily :/ You can't tell if a game is good or not if you've barely played it.

Most likely he means he played and finished it the day he got it.

It's a short game, and can be finished the first time through in about 5 - 7 hours. Very beautiful and fun, but a bit shallow.

PlopperZ said:
Shiny said:
PlopperZ said:

Meh, I played it for a few hours, and could tell that it sucked. If a game doesn't grab my attention from the beginning I get bored of it.
I might play it again sometime just to see if it gets any better.

Ah, I thought maybe you beat it the first day - lots of people do.

It doesn't "suck" though - everything about it is extremely high quality. Most likely the genre itself is just not for you, but GOW is a superb action game. But it is what it is, and therefore it's (mostly) mindless and shallow, and short.

I guess it's not really my kind of game.
Maybe I went a bit too far saying it sucked, but IMO it was a mediocre game.
I've heard a lot of people say it's bad, and I've heard a lot of people say it's good.
But with GoW I & II I've heard nothing but good reviews, so I might pick up a copy of one of them , just to see how it compares.

I liked that and Crisis Core, as despite there flaws, is a step in the right direction. both were like $39.99 when they released where I'm at. They are actually going to be greatest hit fairly soon do to both fairing well in there bundles sold.

PlopperZ said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
nubie said:
I can't help thinking that this will be a million times better than a PSP. (including the native games :p)
Didn't you mean excluding ? :huh:
PSP commercial games are the best (playing stuff like the latest tekken or god of war in a portable is a dream come true), but the pandora will kick PSP's ass in everything else

PSP commercial games suck. They are, for the most part, shitty remakes or sequels to Playstation games (you can play the original on the Pandora).
The only game that was actually half decent was Patapon.
I was really disappointed with God of War: CoO, I paid fifty bucks for it, and I haven't played it since the day I got it.

"shitty remakes or sequels to Playstation games" ?
that is simply so unfair, when you have quality titles from the psp since launch day. there are some great ports, and incredible originals in it.

ridge racer, lumines, dragon ball, ratchet and clank, mortal kombat unchained, wipeout pulse, virtua tennis 3, gta lc/vc, megaman, marvel ultimate alliance, power stone, mercury, gitaroo man, parappa the rapper, def jam ffny takeover, ultimate ghosts n goblins, prince of persia, winning eleven(pro evolution soccer), star wars battlefront 2, monster hunter, outrun, me and my katamari, tekken dark ressurection, loco roco... that's just to list some of my personal favorites

you simply can't deny the psp has great games. some are ports, but great ports. some are new, and play incredibly well in the psp, a true revolution over past handheld generations, including the nds one (which I admit to have some quick and fun to play games).
playing ridge racer in a portable is like a dream come true, so is playing the new tekken, god of war, etc.
so please, don't generalize and just say the psp is shit, because it is certainly not.
just the fact that you played a game as beautiful and well-made as god of war for a while and never picked it up again, the psp is certainly not for you.

now if you talk about the superior power the pandora has to emulate older consoles, that's ok.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
"shitty remakes or sequels to Playstation games" ?
that is simply so unfair, when you have quality titles from the psp since launch day. there are some great ports, and incredible originals in it.

ridge racer, lumines, dragon ball, ratchet and clank, mortal kombat unchained, wipeout pulse, virtua tennis 3, gta lc/vc, megaman, marvel ultimate alliance, power stone, mercury, gitaroo man, parappa the rapper, def jam ffny takeover, ultimate ghosts n goblins, prince of persia, winning eleven(pro evolution soccer), star wars battlefront 2, monster hunter, outrun, me and my katamari, tekken dark ressurection, loco roco... that's just to list some of my personal favorites
I'm not bashing the PSP (I'm indifferent to it), but it just struck me as amusing that nearly all of the games (22 of 25) you listed are in fact "remakes or sequels to playstation games" :)

I don't consider that a bad thing btw, since it IS portable, but for me personally it doesn't provide a compelling reason to play it (unlike the DS). You could level the same argument against emulation of course! That's why the prospect of actual improvements (graphical, mostly, but also in control as I despise Sony Dpads) via the Pandora psx4all is so exciting.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
sequels are considered new games. or do you really think you can say playing tekken dark resurrection on the psp is almost the same as playing tekken on an emulated ps1 emulator? :rolleyes:
Er, no, but I would say it's pretty damn close to playing Tekken Dark Resurrection on PS3, yes? I think you missed my point.

just the fact that you played a game as beautiful and well-made as god of war for a while and never picked it up again, the psp is certainly not for you.

The PSP was for me...until I found out about the GP2X.
So what you're saying is, because I don't like a certain game, then I shouldn't have a PSP?

The one thing I did like about the PSP was the multiplayer. Medal of Honor: Heroes was a great game for online play. The Playstation network was great, but it was hard to find titles that lived up to its potential.

I think you missed the whole point.
When you compare quality ports vs NO commercial games, which one do you think it's better?

playing those games since the psp's launch date is wonderful, and you won't have this experience if you pay A LOT MORE now with a pandora.
the pandora was not made for new commercial games, I'm sorry, you'll never play the latest pro evolution soccer on it, nor play a new fun game like loco roco.
I'm still getting the pandora, but for many other reasons (big touchscreen and wifi for great umpc and internet, dual sdhc for media and emulators, etc).
attacking the current psp games library (and try to convince yourself you are not losing a great gaming system the psp and the nds are) is simply childish.

"PSP commercial games suck. They are, for the most part, shitty remakes or sequels to Playstation games (you can play the original on the Pandora)."
No one really thinks they are "shitty" remakes. I'm not sure what people are trying to defend here, but it certainly isn't gonna work by simply attacking the psp.

Jesus christ, I am a constant thread derailer, but will you guys give it a rest?

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
When you compare quality ports vs NO commercial games, which one do you think it's better?
I'd prefer to have quality homebrew (such as that on the GP2X) over shitty "quality" commercial games any day.
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
playing those games since the psp's launch date is wonderful, and you won't have this experience if you pay A LOT MORE now with a pandora.
Oh well, I guess on launch I will have to stick with the hundreds of PSX and SNES games, while I wait to play hundreds more N64 games and awesome homebrew games. ;)
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
the pandora was not made for new commercial games,
You're right, the Pandora wasn't made for commercial games, just like the PSP wasn't made for homebrew or emulation. You can't compare apples to oranges.
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
I'm sorry, you'll never play the latest pro evolution soccer on it, nor play a new fun game like loco roco.
Why would I want to?
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
attacking the current psp games library (...) is simply childish.
I'm saying that the games library is not that good (which is a fact). How is that childish?
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
No one really thinks they are "shitty" remakes.
I do.
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
I'm not sure what people are trying to defend here, but it certainly isn't gonna work by simply attacking the psp.
I'm not trying to defend anyone, you're saying that the PSP is great, I'm saying it isn't.

Sorry PoisonedV :p
I'd started writing this long before you'd posted that, and left for a while

So, what about PS1 emulation huh? :) You could just open a "PSP vs Pandora" thread and be happy :p

Tinnus said:
So, what about PS1 emulation huh? :) You could just open a "PSP vs Pandora" thread and be happy :p
Agreed. Tinnus do you have GT2? If you do could you at some stage please post some pics of it running like FF7 and Crash were.

I'm selling my PSP soon cause Pandora will be here very soon :).

Thanks

Tinnus said:
QFT. Let's leave out the PSP debate and get back to badgering Zod & Tinnus for more screen shots.

Agreed however you guys should understand that there is almost no graceful Hardware launch, devs have to fill things out before quality comes really.

Anyways,

lets get back on topic.

I really don't feel like answering that... it's useless anyway. it's just sad to see people say shit like that...

back on topic, let me ask some things that are not yet clear in my head :p
I'm not really sure, but are those psx4pand youtube videos running off 100% software or does it make any use of the 3d gfx chip? if not so, are you working on it now or just plan to implement it further?
what minimum clock would you consider it feasible to have full speed with sound (I'm talking about more intensive games like tekken3, maybe running fullspeed with sound at like 500mhz when you make use of the 3d chip)?

The YouTube videos are zodttd rendering in software, soft-scaled to fit the screen, plus some more overhead, so it should run a whole lot faster with the hardware GPU.

I'm working on the HW GPU now, where do you think these screenshots come from, Pete's plugins? :p I'm writing the new GPU with the PC version, but using OpenFL ES 2 code (with some DLLs to emulate ES 2 on top of GL 2) :) I just can't guarantee the HW GPU will be as compatible as the software one at launch time though, there are lots of small details about the PS1 GPU that are kinda hard to emulate with a higher-level API like OpenGL.

About clock for fullspeed + sound, I believe 500MHz might be a good shot indeed.

Back