Playstation Emulation

IsSuE said:
any updates on the PSX emulator? Is there currently a .pnd available?

No, be patient

miyagi.jpg

Wax on, wax off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job so far - just one quick question (sorry if i missed the relevant info) what format will the games need to be in?, hopefully standard .isos - i am eager to start ripping some disks.

Does anyone know if Vib Ribbon (a personal favourite) would be able to access music files stored on the pandora?

Thanks for your time.

.iso should work as well as a few other formats, and I think? they can even run from zipped archives as well.

.BIN format works best for most emulators and generally recommended.
.ISO causes issues for some (for me anyway).

I would love support for PSP EBOOT's!
Smaller file size and readily available.

miseryguts1969 said:
what format will the games need to be in?, hopefully standard .isos - i am eager to start ripping some disks.
I believe you can't use ISO, because the format can only hold a single filesystem, whereas the playstation discs used "tracks" on the disc for music.
This might be slightly inaccurate however, someone who understands better should comment...

Does anyone know if Vib Ribbon (a personal favourite) would be able to access music files stored on the pandora?
You could perhaps use a virtual CD of some kind to allow the playstation emulator to access arbitrary music files, but it will likely slow the emulator down slightly, as the Pandora will also have to decode music to offer it as PCM to the emu. Alternatively you could store disk images of the CDs you want, uncompressed, but it would obviously take up a lot more space.

EDIT: This assumes the emulator supports arbitrary control of the CD device, rather than just a "run game" style thing, but I'd imagine that's not that hard to add, even if it's not included.

Aninhumer said:
I believe you can't use ISO, because the format can only hold a single filesystem, whereas the playstation discs used "tracks" on the disc for music.
This might be slightly inaccurate however, someone who understands better should comment...

There are PSX games without CD Audio so ISO should work for those but, IMO BIN/CUE is just a better format to use.

You could perhaps use a virtual CD of some kind to allow the playstation emulator to access arbitrary music files, but it will likely slow the emulator down slightly, as the Pandora will also have to decode music to offer it as PCM to the emu. Alternatively you could store disk images of the CDs you want, uncompressed, but it would obviously take up a lot more space.
EDIT: This assumes the emulator supports arbitrary control of the CD device, rather than just a "run game" style thing, but I'd imagine that's not that hard to add, even if it's not included.

If they made the emulator like the Sega CD ones that I have used, they let you use an ISO for the game data and mp3 files for the CD audio. Like with Sonic CD, you would have SonicCD.iso then Track01.mp3 Track02.mp3 and so on in individual folders.

frefol said:
There are PSX games without CD Audio so ISO should work for those but, IMO BIN/CUE is just a better format to use.
The bin/toc format from cdrdao also works well for these. :) The bin part of those should work fine, as far as I'm aware, but when I last asked about it, the toc part (and thus redbook audio) wasn't supported (yet?).

If they made the emulator like the Sega CD ones that I have used, they let you use an ISO for the game data and mp3 files for the CD audio. Like with Sonic CD, you would have SonicCD.iso then Track01.mp3 Track02.mp3 and so on in individual folders.
I seem to recall (but please don't quote me on this, as I may be misremembering) that redbook audio isn't yet supported in psx4pandora, but that would certainly be a good way of doing this. (As would supporting the complete bin/toc combo, since that stores the redbook audio as well. :lol: )

Just thinking about the Pandorapanic game, got me thinking of an old mini game fav of mine on ps1, Point Blank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BShVQueLHFE

i hope we can play this, it's on the DS too and very playable with the tap screen action

...and if one pandora, should accidently ship, there'll only be three thousand nine hundred and ninety eight pandoras sitting in the hall...
[in front of mine!]
;)

Back