Playstation Emulation

DaveC said:
Tinnus said:
That means that even the 256x240 games look pixel-perfect--they're being rendered to 480 height (native height) and 512 width--which scaled to 640, or even 800, is unnoticeable. I have RIdge Racer running at 800x480 and you can't tell it's being scaled in any direction at all.

Not to mention the games which render to more than that :) The Tomb Raider series for example render natively to 512x240, and then we have a 1024x480 pixel framebuffer which is even bigger than the Pandora screen :) Also, I'll not even start with Tekken, which IIRC renders to 512x480... :)
Hopefully there will be basic 2:1 doubling (integer scaling) too without any stretching available too. This means 256x240 will be 512x480 but NOT scaled to 640 or 800 (This would add extra pixels inserted unevenly while not noticeable to some, others will notice.) , and 320 x 240 would be 640 x 480 not 800 x 480.

Actually in 3D games there is no real resolution and it should look just as sharp whatever the res, rather like quake etc. can render to anything. That is unless I've misunderstood how the PSP renders polygons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, but my "ePSXe" on PC can somehow. Maybe he uses another Renderer or something like this, would be cool if the Pandora Emulator could do this to because I really hate wobbeling, deformed Textures.

What's the source on ePSXe rendering perspective correct textures? As far as I know epSXe uses the PSEmu Pro plugin system, what GPU plugin do you use? I'm honestly preety skeptic on that.

Actually in 3D games there is no real resolution and it should look just as sharp whatever the res, rather like quake etc. can render to anything. That is unless I've misunderstood how the PSP renders polygons.

Not really for emulators. What happens is that we are emulating the entire VRAM of the console which in the case os the PS1 is a 1024x512 16-bit image. All textures and the framebuffer are stored here, say a framebuffer might be at (0,0)-(320x240) and the rest made up of textures and palettes. What happens is that we must emulate the entire VRAM as one big framebuffer, and then at a VSync blit a part of it to the screen, just like the game would do, or else a lot of accuracy problems surface, due to a game being able to use the entire VRAM as its drawing area and then when the VSync happens set what part of it should actually be sent to the real screen device.

There's the possibility of just converting the coordinates from the set framebuffer area to the host screen area, Pete's first plugins and my first attempt here did that, but it's far easier and more compatible to do it the other way. Everything "just works" without having to worry about corner cases. Remeber the "adjust framebuffer access" option so you could see FF7's battle swirl?

Ah so it will just be doubling up to 640*480 4 pixels for 1? That's a shame, I'd assumed like PC emulators the quality would actually be higher on the Pandora resolution.

Ah wait, or do you mean you will render the polygons on a 640*480 buffer so they are infact higher res?

Ah wait, or do you mean you will render the polygons on a 640*480 buffer so they are infact higher res?

That's what I mean :)

Tinnus said:
Hm, but my "ePSXe" on PC can somehow. Maybe he uses another Renderer or something like this, would be cool if the Pandora Emulator could do this to because I really hate wobbeling, deformed Textures.

What's the source on ePSXe rendering perspective correct textures? As far as I know epSXe uses the PSEmu Pro plugin system, what GPU plugin do you use? I'm honestly preety skeptic on that.
Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't played ePSXe since Years. I've checked my Version right now with a 3D DBGT Fighting Game.
ePSXe version 1.5.2
Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.67

The Textures look OK, but maybe all the Filtering etc. covers the Texture movement. And I've noticed that some Backgrounds are only 2D and not 3D so this also could be a reason why it doesnt wobble. ^_^ Pretty creative and clever these Game Devs. :)

I can live with this Texture issue in PSX. If the Filtering covers the wrong allignment of the Textures I'm fine. But I would prefer unfiltered Textures with Z-Correction instead of filtered Textures without Z-Correction. ^_^
I'm sure, everything will look great onto the Pandora Screen, even unfiltered. :)

You know, I've had my change of Ridge Racer screens. What about you? :)

gleshot6xu8.png

joshwaan2k said:
Cool he looks sad :p, That's PSX PC emu of coarse hey?

That's psx4all running on Windows with the hardware GPU that will also render on Pandora, just like the former Ridge Racer pics. It will look exactly like that (or better) on the real thing ;)

Tinnus are you the same tinnus working on the little john project? cause if you are you are goin on my effin christmas card list. little john flat out rocks.

Tinnus said:
You know, I've had my change of Ridge Racer screens. What about you? :)

gleshot6xu8.png

You guys are Gods for making this. It looks really good! In fact, it probably looks better than it did on my rubbish TV :p. Keep up the good work, this'll be amazing when the Pandora's released - I'm buying one partly for this, and it seems you won't disappoint.

Tinnus are you the same tinnus working on the little john project? cause if you are you are goin on my effin christmas card list. little john flat out rocks.

I happen to be :p

What game is it?

Crash Bandicoot 3 (Warped).

Now, this one has still some glitches to solve but I couldn't resist :D
gleshot7qi0.png

I'm wondering about the possibility of "importing" save files from other emulators into psx4pandora. Could it be done?

GunPei2X said:
That's pretty amazing, Tinnus. You and Zodttd are making it worth playing through FF7 again :)
It was worth playing through in the first place?!?!

PoisonedV said:
GunPei2X said:
That's pretty amazing, Tinnus. You and Zodttd are making it worth playing through FF7 again :)

Hey now - be nice to FF7. It truly was a great game.

Vorporeal said:
I'm wondering about the possibility of "importing" save files from other emulators into psx4pandora. Could it be done?

I'm pretty sure the memory card file format psx4all uses is the same as PCSX and ePSXe :)

Vorporeal said:
PoisonedV said:
GunPei2X said:

Hey now - be nice to FF7. It truly was a great game.

Well when you played thru it the first time back in 99 or whenever it came out it was a great game.

If you go back and replay it you'll find that it is really flawed. . .

If a ps3 remake ever did come around it have to be a replica of your memory of the game not the game itself.

Tinnus said:
Vorporeal said:

I'm pretty sure the memory card file format psx4all uses is the same as PCSX and ePSXe :)
Yay! I'm currently playing through FF7 on my PC via ePSXe, so once I get a Pandora I'll just transfer my gameplay onto there :D

That's actually VERY useful, now that I come to think about it...

Back