Pics From Mweston: Silk Screen Design

-Tj- said:
Alec  said:
How about something like this for Bluetooth?

arrows.png
That doesn't say "Bluetooth" to me. :p

"BT" or the Bluetooth logo works. Anything else doesn't exactly describe what it is.

You can't have the bluetooth logo because of the licensing fees, and I think "BT" looks ugly since they're the only letters describing an LED.

The two arrows I made are supposed to represent two-way exchange of data since that is what Bluetooth is often is used for (synchronization, hands-free earpieces, etc).

If anyone had any better ideas, that would be great. I just don't want it to be "BT". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteBat said:
TJSomething said:
Shouldn't we be using the Bluetooth logo?
300px-Bluetooth.svg.png
COPYRIGHT! read the thread silly
Actually, it's "trademarked," and that logo's out of date. It's a registered trademark now (the "R" in the circle). ;)

Alec  said:
You can't have the bluetooth logo because of the licensing fees, and I think "BT" looks ugly since they're the only letters describing an LED.

I guess my previous post regarding the Bluetooth thing wasn't seen by anyone. :lol: Here's another quoted from the Bluetooth.com site:

Adopter members of the Bluetooth SIG may use published Bluetooth wireless specifications and Bluetooth trademarks, but do not have the opportunity to influence or gain early access to unpublished Bluetooth technology specifications. Adopter members do not pay an annual fee.

Grabbed from this page: http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/SIG/Membership/Adopter.htm

Also, from the registration page:
Adopter membership is a free level of membership.

I didn't see OpenPandora on the site, so I assume they're not registered. But if it's free to become an adopter member, why not join? :)

-Tj- said:
Adopter members of the Bluetooth SIG may use published Bluetooth wireless specifications and Bluetooth trademarks, but do not have the opportunity to influence or gain early access to unpublished Bluetooth technology specifications. Adopter members do not pay an annual fee.

Grabbed from this page: http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/SIG/Membership/Adopter.htm

I didn't see OpenPandora on the site, so I assume they're not registered. But if it's free to become an adopter member, why not join? :)
After doing some research of my own, yeah, membership costs nothing. It's qualification that costs money. Consider Bluetooth SIG's Small Business Incentive Program. It says that 5 000 USD is a discount! In addition, qualification may delay the Pandora, unless it could be done concurrently with final FCC/CE qualification. Here's another nice document.

TJSomething said:
After doing some research of my own, yeah, membership costs nothing. It's qualification that costs money. Consider Bluetooth SIG's Small Business Incentive Program. It says that 5 000 USD is a discount! In addition, qualification may delay the Pandora, unless it could be done concurrently with final FCC/CE qualification. Here's another nice document.

But wouldn't the Bluetooth module already be qualified? Maybe it works the way the FCC certification (or whatever) does.

TJSomething said:
After doing some research of my own, yeah, membership costs nothing. It's qualification that costs money. Consider Bluetooth SIG's Small Business Incentive Program. They say that 5,000 USD is a discount! In addition, qualification may delay the Pandora, unless it could be done concurrently with final FCC/CE qualification.
Ha! you're right, qualification IS where they get you... found this page while doing more research on the subject:
http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Technology/Building/Qualification/Types/

Screw it. I say we go with "BT". Honestly I'd rather just have those two little letters than a logo that somewhat resembles the Bluetooth logo.

Here's some I threw together. They're all probably suspect for trademark infringement, tho:
fake_bt.png

Some "first batch" throw-togethers:
first_batch.png

... and a fake silk screen on rendered Pandora:
first_batch_sample.png

... hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. :unsure:

Edit: added pics.

anyway, after 131 pages, now the joke is:

i dont think they can silk screen in that place, at least not on that angle.

most of the silk screen machines, only have less than 45 degrees of action.
sum up that it has a whole panel next of it difficulting the use of the screen.

so did we waste our time talking about a useless option since that place cant be silked? from my knowledge on screen machines well we did jeje, hehe, aha aha.

i think it has to be above or in less than 35 degrees from the position of above. (plus thats a curved piece, the extra complexity)

also the other silk screen would or not work if there are sharp edges, that might break the silk. nor even a low tension 120 silk would do. as for example the front also wont do, since it is a little lower on a narrow place, so silk screen wont work, maybe tampo but it would have to be a very small gap. so no image deformation or fast tampo degradation.

hmm, so complex i think the team will use less cash on the sticker option. but it wont last.

OMG no responses, did the team just realized this or what someone say something,
its like i touched a nerve or what?

Nice.

I'm a bit late to the party, but a couple of comments:

• Aside from logos, stick to a single font. Certainly don't mix serif & sans-serif fonts without reason. The sans font you're using (Myriad?) looks fine.
  • Personally, I have an aversion to Courier for almost all uses. I don't see any reason not to use the sans font for the SD icons (and "First Batch", if printed).
  • Try to keep all the icons as close to the same size as possible.
  • Mixing icons & text labels is a bit messy; I'd iconify the BT label (just putting it in a rounded box as suggested earlier would do). If there is indeed no fee for using the real BT logo, you should definitely look into it.
  • The wireless icon is probably too fine-detailed to print clearly. I'd use a bolder, simpler antenna icon than that one.
  • Wherever practical, use the same baseline for all labels across the whole casing. (You may need more than one line, but align labels in rows, rather than the tops of the connectors)
  • If you're worried about localisation with "First Batch", the same applies to all other labels. Use symbols wherever appropriate (eg lock for hold) or widely-understood names/abbreviations.
    • The GP2X labelled its expansion port as "EXT" (external/extension?) -- this is fairly common, keeps a legacy association (as was done with the game buttons), and is less tightly coupled to English.
    • I don't think there's any licensing restrictions on using the "trident" USB logo, so that should be used on the back.
  • Should the power connector label include the current (eg 5V 1A)?

Front - courier changed to sans, simpler wireless icon, BT iconified, "first batch" logo separated from labels, lock icon for "hold":
2vns3mq.jpg

Back - USB logos added, "Expansion Port" relabelled "EXT", labels set to same baseline:
2vv870h.jpg

If you're using the USB logo, "USB" is then arguably redundant:
5ccc5v.jpg

As it turns out, there's even a recommendation for a trident logo variant for high-speed ports, but I don't think it's widely-enough recognised to bother using.

DroneB Dev said:

I don't know if the angle is so much of an issue (they could probably just use a rig to hold it upright when printing), but the proximity to the case corner could be. They probably can't print within X mm of the flat of the case. They'll need to check with the manufacturer to find out the tolerances on printing.

OMG no responses, did the team just realized this or what someone say something,
its like i touched a nerve or what?
Dude. It was only like 2 hours.
I wouldn't even expect a dev reply the same day (if at all).

Kagato said:
DroneB Dev said:

I don't know if the angle is so much of an issue (they could probably just use a rig to hold it upright when printing), but the proximity to the case corner could be. They probably can't print within X mm of the flat of the case. They'll need to check with the manufacturer to find out the tolerances on printing.

the angle also does a lot on screen, there are several issues with the actual positions,

1. im pretty sure its impossible to position the canvas and leave at least 4-5cm and print in that angle(minimal distance for the scrapper/sweeper to not get stuck)
2. the front panel, since it is lower, the scrapper/sweeper wont be able to do the inprintunless they used a very narrow one and even if they did, the silk wont last long.

3. the back panel, might get broken instantly if they try to silk screen it horizontaly, so i would recommend a shorter vertical movement.

DroneB Dev said:
1. im pretty sure its impossible to position the canvas and leave at least 4-5cm...
Ah, I see where you're coming from now.

Product printing isn't always literally silk-screening (even though it's often informally called that), and almost certainly wouldn't be on an odd-shaped object like this.
The factory is far more likely to use a pad printing process, which is much more appropriate for handling weird shapes. There are still tolerance limits to take into account, but as long as you're not too close to an edge or a corner, you can print on just about anything.

Back