The Second Batch Info Thread

mali

-
Website
Visit site
(edit: This thread won't be updated any more. Go to http://pandorapress.net for info)

I'm bored, so I'll start this thread reserved for second batch info. It'll help to keep the info separate from all the 1st batch spamming B)

5. June
craigix said:
It will be at least $349. There is good reason why similar machines are $500+.
craigix said:
I'm hoping to announce batch2 ordering this month (at the end of this month at the earliest).

Batch2 ordering will be done in a slow steady way up to September, rather than the crazy free for all of batch1.

If you want a Pandora for Christmas you should order from batch2, while batch 3 parts will arrive in November it's unlikely any will ship from that batch before Christmas.
29. May
craigix said:
[...] Batch two is looking like August/Sept, there probably won't be much of a break in shipping between batch1 and batch2. We have started ordering the parts already, we will explain when you can order from batch2 soon.

Then batch 3 will probably follow on for Christmas.

It's all going at 1000MPH here suddenly!
14.+16. February
craigix said:
The main thing to remember is you got the Pandora for less than cost price. We lose money on every one.
Batch2 will be more expensive.
craigix said:
daffy said:
craigix said:
The main thing to remember is you got the Pandora for less than cost price. We lose money on every one.
I don't suppose you'd share whether that is marginal or average cost (meaning: are you including development costs, or just the cost of making and shipping the individual unit?)
We don't have the final bill yet for the board population, but it will probably put the Pandora just a little over ($20-$30) the price charged.

Fingers crossed we can lower all that on batch 2, but due to high lead times some parts are actually now MORE expensive! FFFuuuu....
11. February
MWeston said:
The current plan is to have the second batch of parts delivered in May. We shall see if they all arrive but that is only an estimate and not something to quote for truth. ;)
EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
Confirmed: Second batch ships in May :p
If you want to build your own Pandora from the parts, yeah :D
Maybe you should add some time for mass production and assembly, too ;)

I'd say June / July :)

Last edited by a moderator:
31. January
craigix said:
We have placed the same order for the same chips. The 720 chips are *TWICE* the price. It is exactly the same chip it just *might* have been tested, but who knows what the test even is or how many they are testing? The lead time on the 720 is also about 6 months.
We will just stick to the 600mhz ones. It's not like they are not amazingly fast anyway. We will do some overclocking experiments on them though to see if there is any difference.
29. January
craigix said:
[...] Tomorrow I'm signing the paperwork for the next 8000 units.
22.+23. January
ED said:
The order is for 4000 + 4000 later in the year. The lead time is 4months+

Sounds like a good idea :) Very good news indeed, that all parts for the second batch are ordered. This could be one nice flowing organization.

Sounds very interesting since the Cases are scheduled to be 10.000, so they should be ready when the other 2°batch parts are ready.

so they ordered parts for the 2nd batch already? They haven't said how many it would consist of yet though..... hmmmm

soo... theory; the next batch might not actually be just pre-orders?

and I thought I read that they won't be carrying a surplus of them untill they have the excess profit to do so... interesting

They don't need everything delivered ASAP since the nubs apparently takes 6 months. I doubt they have to pay for all the components before delivery. IIRC the keymats are made by the same company that does the cases, I wonder if they got 10'000 of them coming as well. Anyway, ordering the stuff probably means that OP have to start taking preorders for the 2nd batch soon, and that's probably not gonna happen until batch 1 have been shipped.

They probably have to front 50% of it to get the ball rolling though.

Right, so, I'm really interested in seeing those parts from the first batch. Only put together now in a case and shipped to me since I like ordered one of those things. A long time ago.

Ok I'll play nice, it's good to see that this is happening not just for the people who are planning on being 2nd batchers.. but for us first batchers at least we know the ball is still rolling.

chris_merris said:
I wonder what the possibility is that the OpenPandora team is running low on funds?

very very high... this first batch is not designed for profit though. first batches never gain much (if any profit). they will just make up for it in the upcoming ones after that.

craigix said:
The order is for 4000 + 4000 later in the year. The lead time is 4months+
What are you planning to do with the 2000 odd excess cases? Order another 10'000 made before the third batch? Better get started on that now ;)

JackTheKnife said:
Bad move. Not finished with the first step and moved further to the second :blink:
No, good move. It's normal practice. They'd be absolute morons to wait until the first batch is shipped before ordering components for the second.

None of this has any bearing on how long it's taking China to do the cases.

JackTheKnife said:
Bad move. Not finished with the first step and moved further to the second :blink:
They have to. There's a huge lead time for some of the parts. If they don't order now, those waiting for second batch will have almost as long to wait as those waiting for the first batch ;)

edit: :ph34r:

JackTheKnife said:
But imagine when something will slip more then is now. 3800 + 4000 upset customers :unsure:
you're assuming they take preorders for the second batch before the first has shipped. All they're doing is ordering the parts needed. As far as I know, they haven't said they plan to take such preorders, and I would imagine they'd hold off for as long as possible for just this very reason we're experiencing with the first batch.

Back