Pics From Mweston: Silk Screen Design

atombat said:
I think this design is the best idea yet, if the Dev team decided to go with "first Batch" or a similar sentence wouldn't some reviewers/customers/gamers etc wonder if it's called the "PANDORA FIRST BATCH" or the "PANDORA CUBE FIRST BATCH", this may create a bit of uncertainty amongst some people, the idea could of course get out of hand and become a joke maybe depending on the reviewer?
This whole control-freaking over what exact impressions or conclusions the reviewers could get from this and that is blown way out of proportion. You can't remove people's stupidity regardless of how much effort you put into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
fiori_musicali said:
atombat said:
I think this design is the best idea yet, if the Dev team decided to go with "first Batch" or a similar sentence wouldn't some reviewers/customers/gamers etc wonder if it's called the "PANDORA FIRST BATCH" or the "PANDORA CUBE FIRST BATCH", this may create a bit of uncertainty amongst some people, the idea could of course get out of hand and become a joke maybe depending on the reviewer?
This whole control-freaking over what exact impressions or conclusions the reviewers could get from this and that is blown way out of proportion. You can't remove people's stupidity regardless of how much effort you put into it.

Yeah, but a bit of modesty and foresight help to guard against attacks from the idiots. If we put ourselves on a pedestal with a big "FIRST BIATCH" target on us, maybe I'm wrong, just thinking, maybe best to be subtle.

I certainly don't want to step on anybody's toes, but I have to ask why do we need labels(at least most of them)? Nearly every port and switch is obvious in what it is and what it does. Over time won't the stickers just wear down and look awful, since they are in exterior locations that probably get brushed a lot and since they won't have any coating on them like the keyboard keys to protect them(the exceptions maybe could be the microphone, headphone, and HOLD and power).

Also, wouldn't a "First Batch" sticker on the inside corner of the battery bay be better than on the outside? :unsure:

atombat said:
I dunno, I think the Pandora Cube with a 1 inside it has more subtlety, and would convey that it's from the 1st batch, then a 2, 3, and so on.
Or that it's a different console because if it wasn't it wouldn't have a different logo.

"What will an idiot think" is not a good measure to apply here because that would lead to the only applicable solution being a three-paragraph text on first-grader level explaining how the unit was one of the first 4000 manufactured.

The problem with the logo with a 1 in it is that it literally screams "Pandora 1". The logo itself is a symbol for the Pandora, 1 on top of it is analogous to adding it after the word.

Although some reasonable ideas have been proposed, I still like the original "First Batch" the most because writing it out instead of substituting it with a minimalistic symbol kind of adds value to it. It's like... This Is It.

j6cubic said:
atombat said:
I dunno, I think the Pandora Cube with a 1 inside it has more subtlety, and would convey that it's from the 1st batch, then a 2, 3, and so on.
Or that it's a different console because if it wasn't it wouldn't have a different logo.

"What will an idiot think" is not a good measure to apply here because that would lead to the only applicable solution being a three-paragraph text on first-grader level explaining how the unit was one of the first 4000 manufactured.

This is totally different to what I mean, I like the idea of keeping things simple. No need for essays or a small paragraph of explanation for the ignorant or uninformed. I hope the finished style wouldn't have to explain itself.

I think it's safe to say that not every first batcher (hmm, sounds like badger...) reads the forums. Those people may not like having an inside joke they don't know staring at them from their new shiny consoles. I'd go with a discrete number, like mwestons logo+1.

MWeston said:
MDave said:
How about just the number "1" instead of "First Batch"? Then increment the number each production run? :) Would also seem more universal then to have english text written on it.
Good point about the English stuff. Perhaps it would be better to be more universal.

What do you think of this? http://i198.photobuc...t_universal.png

I just hacked ED's drawing up with MS Paint so it's not ready for prime time, but this is the idea. The mold company has the first drawings to maybe put on the sample cases but I don't know if they will be putting them on early samples or not. I asked but I get no reply. Shipping is also 'this week' and that's all I got so far. :rolleyes:

At any rate, we could still make the change for the 10,000 cases (not sure if they will do 4k with first batch marking and 6k without but I will ask).
Golf, and the first hole is on a little square island about two yards wide :)

atombat said:
fiori_musicali said:
atombat said:

Yeah, but a bit of modesty and foresight help to guard against attacks from the idiots. If we put ourselves on a pedestal with a big "FIRST BIATCH" target on us, maybe I'm wrong, just thinking, maybe best to be subtle.

I'd much prefer that than the, 'FIRST BOTCH', tag.

vote now http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50168-silk-screen-poll/

i really think that for a collectors view the "first bach" text is much more valuable than the 1 logo,

also the 1 really could be confused as pandora 1 like ps1.

anyway this is just silk screen people, you dont like it just clean it.

the statement that this could be confusing for reviewers or anyone else is just plain exagerated, if you really dont like it maybe changing the text to a more traditional "First Edition" suits better.

(naw)mcx said:
rmm21 said:
I certainly don't want to step on anybody's toes, but I have to ask why do we need labels(at least most of them)?
Looks more professional/finished, also idiots.

Maybe but then it could be argued that it would make it look toy-like and Nintendo cheesy if too many stickies are there. This could lead to a "Touch Me" sticker near the LCD, a "Battery" sticker on the battery cover, and "Left" and "Right" stickers near the shoulder buttons(besides the L and R indentations).

I'm joking here, but in all seriousness wouldn't an elite Pandora buyer have the intelligence to mostly know what the switches and holes do or at least have the ability to look at the manual or the wiki if they don't?
I think we do. :)

rmm21 said:
I'm joking here, but in all seriousness wouldn't an elite Pandora buyer have the intelligence to mostly know what the switches and holes do or at least have the ability to look at the manual or the wiki if they don't?
Given that a lot of people stated, in an earlier thread, how they never read the manual, won't read the manual, and if it isn't immediately obvious what something is for then it's a poorly designed product, I'm going to have to go with "I think we don't". Sadly.

rmm21 said:
An elite Pandora buyer also has the intelligence to build the Linux installation on his Pandora from scratch (well, I'm going to allow using Gentoo), yet I still expect the thing to work out of the box.

I have better things to do than memorize what every status LED on a gadget means before I have even turned the thing on. The Pandora might be a homebrew system but that doesn't mean it has to look cheap.

How about something like this for Bluetooth?

arrows.png

Alec  said:
How about something like this for Bluetooth?

arrows.png
That doesn't say "Bluetooth" to me. :p

"BT" or the Bluetooth logo works. Anything else doesn't exactly describe what it is.

Back