Picodrive 0.96

impressive !
i just tested this new release with all options on at 225 htz and 200 mhz and it runs flawlessly.

no slowdown, no bug ... well, a perfect release :D

Wolfsclaw posted on Oct 14 2006 at 07:10 PM said:
notaz for Guru!
That was bound to happen wasn't it. Seconded :) Many thanks for your wonderful work Notaz, it's great to see that efforts to bring the great Genesis closer to perfection on the GP2X haven't been dropped!

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first reply on this forum So hi to all, But this work is totaly awesome, dualcore finaly ^^, tested a few games all where running great, and dune 2 plays perfect now :rolleyes: , Big ThnX and is there a way i can donate to you.

jmetal88 posted on Oct 15 2006 at 01:56 AM said:
Hah! And when I suggested someone move sound processing to the second core, they just laughed and said it would never work!

:blink: So what if you suggest using the 2nd core as a fast OpenGL 3D accelerator, and then tell Zod he could code a fullspeed PSX emulator with it?

Thanks again notaz! You've given a lot to the community, what with fixes to Cyclone and now a brilliant update to Picodrive which uses both CPUs!

EDIT: I can't help wondering that this dual CPU approach you've used to emulating the sound could also be used for SNES emulation?

So where's the source at?

I'm sure these advances would help many other projects.

One Word.. !!!

WOW !!!, this update make me left over drmdx .. I completly LOVE 44kHz !!!!

I'd like to have at least 22k in Gngeo :( Damn.. 245 Mhz gp2x :(

Thanks for your update.. You roxoooooorrrrrrr

paxl

Wow this is great. This is a great emu. Between this and DrMD I think Megadrive is pretty much handled. Glad to see the second CPU is useful for something.

After playing some more I have found alot of sound glitches using the second core. In Streets of Rage if you use the second core option every time you punch it sounds like you are shooting a laser :p . In Thunderforce III when the game ends and "game over" spins into place the sound doesn't play alot of times or it gets all distorted and staticy. Then when you continue the game the music doesn't play you just get this static that sounds like a radio tuned to no station. I even had the game lock up at that point and I had to use the reset game option to get it back. Sometimes sounds don't stop when they should, it is like the first core forgets to tell the second to "shut up" when it is not supposed to play. Sounds like the cores go off on their own and become out of sync or something.

Edit: Tried playing with the second core disabled. Similar sound bugs and crashing in Thunderforce III after "game over". Maybe the sound code in general is buggered and it has nothing to do with the 2nd core? Shutting off the second core got rid of "laser punch" sound in Streets of rage though. Strange maybe there are two unrelated sound bugs.

Still very impressive though. A bit of tweaking and this will be just about perfect.

Now only if SNES could be as good as this we would be complete.

Thanks, notaz. It's a brilliant job!! :)

notaz posted on Oct 14 2006 at 07:50 PM said:
Now I just wonder what is better for battery life, overclocking one CPU or using both of them, but with no overclock? It would be nice if someone would check, I do not have time for that now.

I've read the thread that one checked the power consupmtion of the second processor and it uses much less than first one, (1ma?) but I'm not sure, I'll double check it :)

notaz posted on Oct 14 2006 at 07:50 PM said:
* Severely optimized MAME's YM2612 core, part of it is now rewritten in asm.
+ The YM2612's code now can be run in GP2X's ARM940T CPU, what causes large performance increase.

Does it mean the possibility of another speed boost for our lovely MAME? :D

Just tested it. First off, games that didn't work in DrMdx (its still awesome though... thanks for everything reesy...) work now (ie. Nba Jam, mk2 etc) and speed is freakin incredible. Wow you outdid yourself. Using the second core for sound is probably the equivalent to the MMU Hack. More than just the genesis emulator, you probably helped out every other emulator that still need improvements out there :D

cowai posted on Oct 14 2006 at 09:16 PM said:
One thing though, the sound is kinda fuzzy in some games. Like Ultimate mortal combat 3, were its very like some broken speakers. And in rock & roll racing, when sliding in the corners it makes a very stupid and poor sound like wiping a window :p This don't happen in drmdx.

But its a very fast release we have here, isn't this the first emu that make us for the 2nd core?

As far as the broken speaker sound set the volume to less than 100 if using second core. I noticed that it will get distorted over 100. If you don't use the second core you can pump it up more.

INCREDIBLE!!!!!!! :D accomplishement for this great emu.
But i have see a problem in ADVANCED OPTIONS, you can't use the 32XSCALE for put at full screen a some of games , why dont' work?
The old version the 32x scale work perfectly. :(

I've noticed that sound isn't quite htere for Wonderboy 5 (in Monsterworld? it's the one that never would get past the title screen in DrMD2X).

Also the screen is off centre ans I am not able to scale it.

Aside from this thanks for a great (and speedy) emulator!

slaanesh posted on Oct 15 2006 at 02:53 AM said:
Thanks again notaz! You've given a lot to the community, what with fixes to Cyclone and now a brilliant update to Picodrive which uses both CPUs!

EDIT: I can't help wondering that this dual CPU approach you've used to emulating the sound could also be used for SNES emulation?

Yeah somone posted the source of a test version of a dualcore SNES emulator. I couldn't get it to build though :(

Notaz, the emulator rocks! Well done :)

I hate to say it, but this has gotten me off DrMD. The games look better with 16bit and the water in Sonic comes out right plus it may just be me but the sound seems crisper and fuller. Either way, PicoDrive is my new default MD emu.

Superlative work. Jimmy White's Snooker works now, as there were region messups in DrMD regardless of what region was chosen. Sound is a lot clearer despite occasional completely forgivable messups. If only the gp2x joystick was good enough to dragon punch with. :(

If someone hacks together a SNES emulator using the same sound-on-other-core ideal, I think we'll be dancing. Dancing, I tell you!

Top marks, but Reesy's work is still the benchmark of grooviness. I'm not going to do the "the king is dead, long live the king" stuff that a couple of folks seem to be doing. Both emulators will live on my SD card for the forseeable future.

Back