Picodrive 1.34

notaz said:
Hallie Miles said:
I figured, what the hey, it's only a little time, so I re-encoded them to the above settings and now it work fine. ...Except - I'm still having problems with the audio being out of sync with the video. The sound seems to be a good 2 seconds ahead of the action.
Your ripping program might be cutting out silence at beginning, so now everything plays too early. Does your rip work right with PC emus?

Aahh, I got it backwards - the video is ahead of the audio, and yeah, it does it with Gens32, too. It did it with the original mp3s, too - that's where the "still" came from (it ran too fast in PicoDrive to tell about sync), so I guess I need to look around and see if I can find a better set of mp3s out there somewhere.

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all thank you SO MUCH!
I`ve never thought it could be even better and now it is!
Gamma correction option is amazing, it should be in every emu :)

Scrolling improvement just fantastic, mmm.. but i`ve got some problems with it in Dune-2. Noticeable slowdowns happens every time, when i`m choosing the unit and er.. scrolls away somewhere. It happens also, when new building is ready. Or when my base is under strong attack.

FPS counter however shows 60FPS. I`ve tried overclocking 240MHz, Ram Timings, Squidgehack and 8-bit fast renderer, but... :(

Cruel said:
Scrolling improvement just fantastic, mmm.. but i`ve got some problems with it in Dune-2. Noticeable slowdowns happens every time, when i`m choosing the unit and er.. scrolls away somewhere. It happens also, when new building is ready. Or when my base is under strong attack.

FPS counter however shows 60FPS. I`ve tried overclocking 240MHz, Ram Timings, Squidgehack and 8-bit fast renderer, but... :(
IIRC you have to enable "accurate timing" for this one.

Whoa! That helped! Thank you very-very much! :D

Now the game looks perfect at 133-140MHz! (8-bit fast renderer)

And with perfect Vsync Option ON the scrolling even smoother :rolleyes:

:huh: I have several problems, with ULTIMATE MORTAL KOMBAT 3, MORTAL KOMBAT 3, and ULTIMATE MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY, terrible slowdown, when you play it.

DARKGATE said:
:huh: I have several problems, with ULTIMATE MORTAL KOMBAT 3, MORTAL KOMBAT 3, and ULTIMATE MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY, terrible slowdown, when you play it.
notaz said:
IIRC you have to enable "accurate timing" for this one.
...too.

I found that the audio is broken for arcus odisey, it has no soud at all, but when i load "el viento" first (another wolfteam game) arcus odisey presents choppy audio and it will have no sound again if I change the sample rate.

:huh: Yes with accurate timing MK3, UMK3, and UMKT work, but too much slow, in an old version of PICODRIVE, work perfectly.
There is a BUG in this new version? :unsure:

DARKGATE said:
:huh: Yes with accurate timing MK3, UMK3, and UMKT work, but too much slow, in an old version of PICODRIVE, work perfectly.
Nah, the emulator is just trying to protect you from rubbish games :).

Orkie said:
DARKGATE said:
Nah, the emulator is just trying to protect you from rubbish games :).

:D I was about to write something along the lines of "well, I have a proplem with those games to - Namely, that they suck", but I chickened out :)

just wanted to pop in and say that perfect vsync looks awesome. like others have said, it raises the black level a lot on my mk1 but it's totally worth it. so close to the real thing. i hope this becomes a trend!

shinra said:
I found that the audio is broken for arcus odisey, it has no soud at all, but when i load "el viento" first (another wolfteam game) arcus odisey presents choppy audio and it will have no sound again if I change the sample rate.
Hm, will check those when I find some time.

DARKGATE said:
Not sure what your problem is. Just tried and they seem to work right. Wrong region? Or do you mean they need some overclock for full 50/60fps now? Might be because the emu was gcc-profiled with different games.

rokdcasbah said:
just wanted to pop in and say that perfect vsync looks awesome. like others have said, it raises the black level a lot on my mk1 but it's totally worth it. so close to the real thing. i hope this becomes a trend!
I thought this was the unwanted side effect for mk1s?

Well, it took a while, but I finally found a full disc of Lunar: Silver Star Story. Both Gens32 and Fusion play it well, and the sound is in sync again. :lol: Will PicoDrive read the image, or do I really need to rip it and change the sound tracks to mp3s? I didn't have much luck with a .bin & .cue set - it ran until it needed to access the first music track, then the screen stayed black and didn't continue any further. I tried to change a couple of the settings, but I didn't want to mess up my configuration, so I didn't go too far into it.

Hallie Miles said:
Well, it took a while, but I finally found a full disc of Lunar: Silver Star Story. Both Gens32 and Fusion play it well, and the sound is in sync again. :lol: Will PicoDrive read the image, or do I really need to rip it and change the sound tracks to mp3s? I didn't have much luck with a .bin & .cue set - it ran until it needed to access the first music track, then the screen stayed black and didn't continue any further. I tried to change a couple of the settings, but I didn't want to mess up my configuration, so I didn't go too far into it.
Well PD can't read audio tracks from .cue/.bin, so you will have to make iso+mp3 out of it. If you are using windows, you can mount .bin with daemon tools and then rip the mp3s with your favorite ripper (must be 44kHz and NOT mp3pro), and make iso with some disk image tool. Here is some info about doing this with Nero.

notaz said:
Hallie Miles said:
Well PD can't read audio tracks from .cue/.bin, so you will have to make iso+mp3 out of it. If you are using windows, you can mount .bin with daemon tools and then rip the mp3s with your favorite ripper (must be 44kHz and NOT mp3pro), and make iso with some disk image tool. Here is some info about doing this with Nero.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I ripped it down with another set of instructions I found here (ripping the audio to wavs first, then mp3s - this sounds loads easier!) It took about 45 minutes to do the whole thing, so not too bad, and the audio is still in sync!

Thanks for the help, and thanks again for the wonderful emulator - I've been wanting to play this game since I first heard about it, and it's great to be able to do so on the 2X.

notaz said:
rokdcasbah said:
I thought this was the unwanted side effect for mk1s?

it's very unwanted :/ what i meant was, even though the black level is raised, i will put up with that to gain the smoothness of perfect screen timing.

If you're looking at bugs, I *think* this version fixes occasional freezing in Madden 98, but I can't get NBA Jam to load. AFAIK, NBA Jam has not worked in any version of PD.

About this: "Added an option to use A_SN's camma curve for gamma correction (improves dark and bright color display for mk2s)."

Have you tried it? What setting do you use? I want to add this to MAME, but i don't have a MK2 model... Thanks and regards.

I found also some problems with sound in silpheed CD, even with better sync option enabled.

EDIT: I played more time silpheed and notice that it has again no only sound issues, also the game frezzes, and in worst case the emu crashes, just like in releases prior to 1.32.

naples39 said:
AFAIK, NBA Jam has not worked in any version of PD.
This is one of those games which used serial EEPROMs for saves. After a few adjustments it now runs.

shinra said:
I found also some problems with sound in silpheed CD, even with better sync option enabled.

EDIT: I played more time silpheed and notice that it has again no only sound issues, also the game frezzes, and in worst case the emu crashes, just like in releases prior to 1.32.
This one is very timing-sensitive. Probably broken because of Cyclone changes. Will try to resolve this too.

Franxis said:
About this: "Added an option to use A_SN's camma curve for gamma correction (improves dark and bright color display for mk2s)."

Have you tried it? What setting do you use? I want to add this to MAME, but i don't have a MK2 model... Thanks and regards.

It just adjusts gamma differently, what setting is best is a bit subjective I think, it also depends on game being played.

Back