Picodrive 0.95 Released

markiej posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
I did a quick search & nothing came up, so I'll go ahead and ask. Is there anything resembling v-sync or dbl-buffer in picodrive.
Doublebuffer-yes, vsync-no. And it looks good enough for me, I don't notice any tearing, But v-sync can be added if there is demand for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
reiboul posted on Sep 19 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
starpause posted on Sep 19 2006 at 10:15 PM said:
notaz posted on Sep 19 2006 at 06:16 AM said:
starpause posted on Sep 19 2006 at 04:17 AM said:
the minimal menu is fine but the key configure screen is pretty bad. i can't tell if it's a bug or not, but when you have more than one key associated with an action, picodrive doesn't require a combo of these keys (as you would expect),
That is what I intended, can make it a combo if others think this is good too.

to me combo is the only thing that makes sense.

you have a limited number of keys on the gp2x. in what case would you waste one of your rare keys by assigning two keys to do the same thing?

on the other hand, if you implement combos, then many keys are freed up!

for example, you can hold PUSH down to enter a shift mode for all save state business, where PUSH+L goes back a save state, PUSH+R forward, PUSH+whatever else for load and save ... with buttons left over for doign 6button emulation :)

i'd rather use Vol+ + Vol-, because I (and other guys here) don't want to use the Stick button, for it seems quite fragile...

Actually my opinion is, I'd rather use incremental save states, that way you can't screw your save states
Incremental, I mean : you have, say 5 states : you save for the first time in state 1, and you aotomatically switch to state 2. Then you save again, in state 2, and it automatically cycle to state 3, and so on. That way, if you do a wrong save, you always have the 4 previous saves :)

everyone who replied to my example key config demonstrates the value of allowing all keys to be configable. we can already thank notaz for that. :D

however, i was trying to demonstrate a different point ... that picodrive's configurable controls would be more powerful/versitle by defining button combinations when an action has more than one button press associated with it.

currently it mirrors, if you have PUSH + START asigned to load-state, then either PUSH or START will cause the action to happen. if you have START also assigned to genesis-controller start, the then the game will pause every time you save, for example.

however, enableing combinations, the game would fix such problems and allow for more unique controls which could be assigned to actions. pushing just START would pause/unpause. holding PUSH and hitting START would cause the load-state. for example.

edit: notaz, you don't have to worry about what buttons get pushed first. leave it up to the user to leave a button or two unassigned except in combos, effectively making it a shift :)

+ Added optional hardware scaling for lower-res games like Shining Force.

What does this mean? That we can rescale NHL hockey and the original lemings so they are full screen?

Please say yes...

Elephant Gun posted on Sep 21 2006 at 12:52 PM said:

What does this mean? That we can rescale NHL hockey and the original lemings so they are full screen?

Please say yes...

I don't know the two games, but activate the option "Scale 32 column mode". Try it out and look if you are satisfied...

Regards,
Stephan

notaz posted on Sep 20 2006 at 04:25 PM said:
markiej posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
I did a quick search & nothing came up, so I'll go ahead and ask. Is there anything resembling v-sync or dbl-buffer in picodrive.
Doublebuffer-yes, vsync-no. And it looks good enough for me, I don't notice any tearing, But v-sync can be added if there is demand for this.

Hi, it would be great to have vsync or at least double-buffer!
Count me as a demander!

Tnx

Elephant Gun posted on Sep 21 2006 at 11:52 AM said:

Please say yes...

YES! Nhl hockey series FULL SCREEN
Wonderboy in monster world FULL SCREEN
Lemmings FULL SCREEN

the only game I cannot get going is fatal rewind...

AMAZING!!

Elephant Gun posted on Sep 21 2006 at 06:35 PM said:
Elephant Gun posted on Sep 21 2006 at 11:52 AM said:

Please say yes...

YES! Nhl hockey series FULL SCREEN
Wonderboy in monster world FULL SCREEN
Lemmings FULL SCREEN

the only game I cannot get going is fatal rewind...

AMAZING!!

Too bad the scaling looks butt ugly. It isn't the emus fault it is just that any fractional stretching on an LCD looks god awful. I can't see how anyone thinks this looks good ;)

DaveC posted on Sep 21 2006 at 11:43 PM said:
Too bad the scaling looks butt ugly. It isn't the emus fault it is just that any fractional stretching on an LCD looks god awful. I can't see how anyone thinks this looks good ;)

I think it's psychological; "I paid for all these pixels, and I want to use them ALLL, dammit!!" :p

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 20 2006 at 03:53 PM said:
I love the quickload/save feature via L / R, using it in Theme Park all the time :) however, i have to watch out for not pressing load while not having saved for a long time or saving after a rom reset....
a confirm box would be great

Theme Park?! You can get that on the gp2x??? Wow please tell me how, is it on dosbox?

I just tried nhl 94 and while the FPS was 50/50, the vertical scrolling was atrocious (sorry, being honest): very jerky and distracting. I did not see dbl-buff as an option in the menu so I guess it's on by default (?).

Anyhow, I think improving that is critical to an emulator of the genesis, because, again, almost every game is a scroller of some kind.

Even so, this is clearly a work of genius and I am totally in appreciation and awe of the effort involved. So the above is meant as a request to get this on the to-do list.

*smiles*
Glad it's running well and people are working on it and improving it!

.... See open source rocks right?! Spread the word ;)
Kudos to Notaz :)

The thing I loved was the day after this was released, I saw "DrMDx goes open source" as well. That's pretty cool! Kudos to Ressy :)

By the way, I will do something cool on GP2X one day, promise, I'm just 'busy' at the moment ;)

Back