Picodrive 0.96

Hello,
Very happy to see that second core is used !!

For thunderforce 3, i have the same probem.. with the game over, but with accurate timer on this problem disapear..

Shikaku posted on Oct 15 2006 at 12:56 AM said:
I agree with this new moving standard: allow us to enable RAM timings and internal overclock! YESS!!!
You forgot the internal Gamma settings (which are currently a bit bugged though: they don't reset back to 1.00 or whatever it was before Pico was launched) which is also a really neat thing. :)

Also, another thing that I like about Pico over DrMD is that you are able to load games through a commandline, which is great for alternative GP2x menus (GMenu2x, GP2xcc) and makes for extra speedy loading of games.

So, here's what I should think is a nice "standard" featurelist for applications and emulators to have:
Enable/disable/change RAM timings
Enable/disable MMUhack
Change clockspeed
Change Gamma settings
Have ability for loading roms or datafiles (whatever the application uses) through the commandline, so it is able to be wrapped in GMenu2x, GP2xcc or other frontends that support that wrapping style.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 15 2006 at 08:22 AM said:
In Streets of Rage if you use the second core option every time you punch it sounds like you are shooting a laser :p.
DARKGATE posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:26 AM said:
But i have see a problem in ADVANCED OPTIONS, you can't use the 32XSCALE for put at full screen a some of games , why dont' work?
Megagun posted on Oct 15 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
You forgot the internal Gamma settings (which are currently a bit bugged though: they don't reset back to 1.00 or whatever it was before Pico was launched) which is also a really neat thing. :)
Thanks for the bug reports. These were easy to fix, so I have put up a quick bug-fix release. See my first post.

DaveC posted on Oct 15 2006 at 08:22 AM said:
In Thunderforce III when the game ends and "game over" spins into place the sound doesn't play alot of times or it gets all distorted and staticy.
You have to use "accurate timing" for Thunderforce III from now on, I had to change the default mode for other things. Always try "accurate timing" if game has any kind of problems.

fomit posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:50 AM said:
I've noticed that sound isn't quite htere for Wonderboy 5 (in Monsterworld? it's the one that never would get past the title screen in DrMD2X).
Just tried both english and japanese versions, both work fine for me.

This piece of code is awesome : it can run most games fullspeed with 44khz sound and very accurate emulation, at 200Mhz for most games using BOTH processor (and THIS is quite a step for the GP2X), but also run games without sound and less accuracy at 120Mhz (Sonic 3 fullspeed, about 120/130Mhz)

Did you use some parts of Reesy's code?

Wow, I've not had chance to test this yet but it sounds like your making amazing progress. Well done!

notaz posted on Oct 15 2006 at 05:12 PM said:
reiboul posted on Oct 15 2006 at 07:08 PM said:
Did you use some parts of Reesy's code?
DrZ80 only

Thats mostly Flubba's code now :)

I'm hoping that soon many emulators will take advantage of the 2nd core, either for sound, or graphics :) Using the 2nd core for something usefull is the best new since Squidge's MMU Hack!!
By playing Sonic 3 at 130Mhz, all options ON, I get 13fps with 2nd core and... 1, without!!

[dreaming]PSX... SNES... Quake... NeoGeo... [\dreaming]

LOL alot of this thread makes comments about SNES emulation.. its got my thinking that full speed SNES is going to be coming soon

On topic, I havent even tried any PicoDrives yet since DrMD is pretty perfect for me.. guess its time for me to test this out..

thanx for making this notaz ;)

mdinire posted on Oct 15 2006 at 04:38 PM said:
LOL alot of this thread makes comments about SNES emulation.. its got my thinking that full speed SNES is going to be coming soon

On topic, I havent even tried any PicoDrives yet since DrMD is pretty perfect for me.. guess its time for me to test this out..

thanx for making this notaz ;)

Yeah I agree that SNES would be the bees knees. If decent SNES came to the GP2X I could go to my grave complete :p

Hopefully someone will be able to make use of the tecniques used in Picodrive with the SNES emu.

Major major news - with this and the recent ScummVM update, this last week has been a rather exciting one, methinks. Most majorness, of course, due to the whole actually using the 2nd CPU and getting a speed boost kinda thing.

Now I just need to find some time to play it!

Julius posted on Oct 15 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
Awesome release, works really nice!
But it actually makes me wonder what the chances for a MegaCD emulator are :)

.0000000000000000000000001%

MCD had a whole extra 68000 plus DSPs, "mode 7" etc.

I would think the extra core could speed up Amiga though. The Amiga had only 4 8-bit DACs for sound, surely simpler than the Megadrives' sound hardware.

BUG:

When I set the gamma and save it it works fine. When I exit and come back to the game the gamma reverts back to default in the game sometimes but still shows my modified setting (1.6) in the config menu. Then I reloaded the emu and it worked, seems a little wonky sometimes. I also noticed the difference between 1.5 and 1.6 seemed rather a large increment.

First version of Pico that I've tried, so I don't know if this only works with the new release or not.
In Sonic2 on DrMD the game played fine, but the auto demo at the beggining of the program was always messed up. This seems to work fine with this emu though :D.

Nice work & it's good to see the second processor being used as it should be.

Anyone having a problem with sound dissapearing completely?

For some reason, after fiddling with a few options my sound dissapeared, and only came back after opening and closing the emu a couple times. A hard reset of the GP2X didn't seem to immediately solve the problem either.

Anyone witnessed anything similar? Maybe a fresh install will see me clear.

Excellent release though, Zombies, Skitchin' and god knows what else all seem perfect now. Ace!

DaveC posted on Oct 15 2006 at 09:02 PM said:
BUG:

When I set the gamma and save it it works fine. When I exit and come back to the game the gamma reverts back to default in the game sometimes but still shows my modified setting (1.6) in the config menu. Then I reloaded the emu and it worked, seems a little wonky sometimes. I also noticed the difference between 1.5 and 1.6 seemed rather a large increment.
just fixed this, will wait until tomorrow before posting, maybe another "easy" bug pops up.

Has anyone tied TV-out or USB joystick support?

dowboy posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
Anyone having a problem with sound dissapearing completely?
Well actually I do, this happens very rarely and I just can't easily reproduce it, what makes difficult to fix it.

Just in theory, could you also use the 2nd cpu to playback external mp3s? Of course with disabling the game sound, but i mean, with no slowdowns? would be quite fun, but of course its nothing important ;)

Well actually I do, this happens very rarely and I just can't easily reproduce it, what makes difficult to fix it.

Typically I find the most obscure bug! I'm stuck with no sound at all at the moment - I'll keep fiddling and post any little breakthroughs I have.

Great release... Megadrive emulation is just getting better and better.

Thanks Notaz!

By the way, since DrMD was discontinued, would you consider using It's menu's for Picodrive? DrMD menus are one of it's finest features, and it would be great see that menu in Picodrive because it is intuitive, good looking and an all-round great menu. :D

Anyway, keep up this great work.

notaz posted on Oct 15 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
Has anyone tied TV-out or USB joystick support?

I just tried it using TV-Out. The menu works fine, but as soon as you load a rom the GP2X appears to crash.

Back