Payback Playable Demo Released

ingrin posted on Oct 23 2006 at 09:24 AM said:
*Edit* Oh Yeah, does the KKK really have a presence Europe? I always assumed that overall the ideology only held appeal for small subset of folks in the US.
I wondered that as well, what British city has KKK people hold meetings in central parks? :lol:

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
plounted posted on Oct 23 2006 at 12:18 AM said:
did not enjoy the demo.

for one, it took me a second ot realize that i had to get into the car on the opposite side to drive, being from america myself.

:huh:
Erm, yeah... we Brits have to put up with the driving styles of games set in America, including GTA, which was actually developed in Scotland, and Driver, made in Newcastle.
(Yay: Newcastle was in the original, Boo: it was part of the credits and only unlockable via an Action Replay code)

So kindly get over that please. :ph34r:

Damn you guys are really lame, in GTA games I dont really care what side of the road im driving.I drive on the left, right, sidewalk, into buildings, over pedestrians, on the train tracks...who cares about what side of the road your driving, im playing as a grand theft thug, not my drivers road test.

god people.

i just didnt like it.
from the acceleration and forward motion, and the people exploding when i shoot them.

i just did not like it.

im sure i like alot of games you dont.
and alex i appreciate your apology. i think it was an apology.
maybe.

Alex. posted on Oct 23 2006 at 09:40 AM said:
ingrin posted on Oct 23 2006 at 09:24 AM said:
*Edit* Oh Yeah, does the KKK really have a presence Europe? I always assumed that overall the ideology only held appeal for small subset of folks in the US.
I wondered that as well, what British city has KKK people hold meetings in central parks? :lol:

- Alex

yeah, shouldn't they have been like, neo-nazi skinheads?

do you get to beat up football hooligans also?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 23 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
Yeah seriously who the hell bitches about the proper side of the road to drive on in a GTA STYLE GAME????
LOL. On that speed mission, I drive in the middle of the road to fit between the cars in the 2 lanes to get there fastest. When its a GTA/Payback game, every inch of land is the right side of the road.

wow, i just found crack on my 2x (i dled this the day it came out and haven't stopped playing it) definatly brings me back to the GTA 1/2 days...the game, imo, is great, love the driving, physics, missions...cant wait for it to arrive (ordered it today!)

so is there going to be a download option for the full game soon? Just want to make sure I dont order it then before I get it a download opition becomes available.

So after spending a little time with the demo I hate to say this but I dont think its that good. Lets start with what is good first:

Graphics are nice
Music fits the mood
Voice over (when working) is cool
You can tell its a real game title

Now that being said it kind of finds itself in an odd place. This game was made to appeal to people who dont just want retro gaming on the GP2X imho but thats what it delivers, retro gaming. This is an almost 1:1 throwback to the orginal GTA titles. The only differences I can see is that the main guy looks like someone drew him in MS Paint. Also the camera angle is really bad. They could of at least made it show its not top down but perhaps 3/4. Now, if this title was going for $10 or even $20 these points to me would no longer be valid. But since they are asking for $40 the price of many PSP titles and more expansive then most DS titles, I cannot say it is worth it.

But, dont take my word on it. Do yourself a favor and download the demo it will be worth your time and 54Mb. Its not a bad game per say, just bad at the price they want for it.

EDIT:
Also these pics

paybacks1.jpg

paybacks3.jpg

Have obviously been put through Anti Aliasing techniques on a PC as they do not accurately represent the in game graphics.

Lupin posted on Oct 23 2006 at 08:41 PM said:
They could of at least made it show its not top down but perhaps 3/4.
I agreed at first, but after some more time playing, I think the top down angle works best. 3/4 angle would require a smarter camera than they can shoe-horn in I suspect. Still, it would be nice to have a debug mode where we could change the angle or zoom in a bit.
Now, if this title was going for $10 or even $20 these points to me would no longer be valid. But since they are asking for $40 the price of many PSP titles and more expansive then most DS titles, I cannot say it is worth it.
They are asking for $30 (+S&H), not $40. And you get a 512 card (less the space the game takes up)out of the deal, which is worth $10-$15 easy. Also, you need to factor in the fact you will be able to customize with your own songs,unlike a DS (and Maybe PSP too, not sure if you can play your own tunes in the GTA games) .
But, dont take my word on it. Do yourself a favor and download the demo it will be worth your time and 54Mb. Its not a bad game per say, just bad at the price they want for it.
I think the price is right, if nothing more than to reward the makers for bothering to port it. Judging by the screens I've seen of the GBA version, the graphics do look much better, the GP2X version is cheaper, and the features are better.
The game has glaring flaws, like I mentioned earlier. The GBA version sports a 6 (out of ten) or so average rating. I think that when you take into accounts the GP2x improvements, the game is a 7 or 8. There is room for improvement, but at least it can help establish the console as a legitimate target for commercial game houses.
EDIT:
Also these pics

paybacks1.jpg

paybacks3.jpg

Have obviously been put through Anti Aliasing techniques on a PC as they do not accurately represent the in game graphics.
I think the game has AA built in on the 2x. Those don't look that different from what I see on my MK1, except they are all from night missions, so it is hard to make a 1 for 1 comparison.

now I know you are not going to tell me your game looked as good as those cars in the first pick? Cause I know mine didnt. Also, your right I made a mistake its 30. Yeah it comes on a 512 card and yea you can have your own music. But, idk im out of reasons. Pick the game up. Even if it sucks just think of it as you got gouged a little on a 512mb card. Heh. Still judging just as a game its lackluster for this time frame. But they did do a good job for what they had to work with.

Lupin posted on Oct 24 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
This game was made to appeal to people who dont just want retro gaming on the GP2X
Is this your own assumption or did you read it somewhere?

The GTA-style top-down view is pretty retro these days.

subcon959 posted on Oct 24 2006 at 10:16 AM said:
This game was made to appeal to people who dont just want retro gaming on the GP2X

yeah, back to the ps1 days, which people are emulating on their 2x... i mena its just about 2 generations old (in console generations) imo its very retro with a new modern touch... man i cant wait till this thing get here!!

Shikaku posted on Oct 24 2006 at 04:14 PM said:

I love newbs who don't know what they are talking about, they make funny sentences when you poke them too =D

i thought they were more like garbles shrieks of pain than sentences.

but i guess its just how you poke them.

Goemon4 posted on Oct 24 2006 at 11:25 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 24 2006 at 10:16 AM said:

yeah, back to the ps1 days, which people are emulating on their 2x... i mena its just about 2 generations old (in console generations) imo its very retro with a new modern touch... man i cant wait till this thing get here!!
Do you honestly consider the PS1 retro? :-\

- Alex

Back