Payback Playable Demo Released

this games pretty good... not sure how people can say the police dont bother with you... i've got killed by them a couple times, at one point i had like 3 or 4 coppers chasing me and i was shooting the hell outta them

not sure if i'm gonna buy the game, i'm pretty broke at the moment...

i have to mention that i do agree the volume seems really quiet on it though

yeah volume could be louder. also while the replays are a really cool feature it would be nice to have some control over them like being able to fast forward and rewind considering that the replays can be pretty long.

In my view it is very nice, for some it may feel like GTA again, but we should see it as a base for future work. Having a engine like this with the developers close to the community, only leaves room for new games on the future. This one is a bit too close to the earlier GTA games, the theme and all, but this opens ground to other stories using this style of game.

If they take the time to make it expansible, they can release expansion packs with new missions and new stories in the future, the engine is already working well, and will get tested and improved along the way. :)

As for the demo Ryo stated the main points, I guess. I'd add the non destructible light poles. I hit them because they're not very visible. If they could be destructed and reapered some time later would be nice too. Another thing I noticed is when you accomplish some task before the narrator tells you he gets lagged, and is still saying you to do stuff well after you've done it. In the limo mission, I've passed the starting check point and when I was in the second or third he yelled 'go'. :p Maybe an action control could be added so the narrator skips the instructions when you do what he was saying or going to say next. ;)

Great game already, though. Will buy it for the reasons stated above (help it improve and have expansions released). :D

Edit: Is it the perspective? I believe that it could be a bit less direct top down (since the visible area is very small), so you can see what's ahead of you, would help seeing the poles, the fences and the garage doors, no?

Edit2: Oh the shock wave is cool! :D

Edit3: What kind of setup had the translators? How many voices are needed, and how many lines are there?

Edit4: LOL the people screaming on the BUS XD

I love the game, I will definitely buy it. (but part of the reason is to try and show that there is a commercial market here, and maybe Apex might feel more inclined to release a version for XGP when it comes out,.. and yes, if there is a version for it, then I will end up buying two copies of the game (if one is optimized for XGP's hardware)

Anyways, about the GP2X version, it's really great, there are only two things I didn't like:
First, the camera, I really wish (if it's possible) that there could be more of a behind the character angle.
Second, the police. They're not entirely intimidating. The road blocks could be better, (with tire spikes, where if you ran over them your car would automatically go the slow speed that damaged vehicles go) I also can't believe the cops don't get upset if you hit their cars. And I wish that tanks and stuff would come after you. (or even, if you accumulate enough stars then the entire city gets pissed and every citizen around you tries to take you out.. that could be cool. But I think it would have to be a "hard to reach" level, since it would be next to impossible to get out of).

Anyways,.. I guess Apex spent 11 months working on this, and I wouldn't blame them at all if they didn't want to ever write patches for this game (and just wanted to move on), but just in case, I though I should mention what was on my mind.. (either way, I'm still buying it)

I loved the driving on the left side of the road (Even though I'm American).. games don't normally do that, and I like the originality. Hijacking buses is so cool since the passengers scream. And I like that you can save replays. But I do wish you could fast forward them (and maybe control the camera) since if you end up doing something special after 15 minutes of boredom then you could skip the crap and go straight to the cool stuff when you show your friends. (or maybe some kind of "edit" feature would be cool)

Ahh yes... and I almost forgot (infact, for a moment there, I did forget) There is no abiltiy to jump.

i liked the demo, played untill my batteries crapped out :)
i havent read this whole thread and im pushed for time so bear with me if somone already mentioned this.

it would be cool if we could make our own city (not sure if this is possible might take a lot of work and wouldnt have any missions on it) i had visions of copying a town/city from google earth then being able to play on them.

i might buy the game after i have played the demo again (when bats charge)

it brings back memories of the earlier gta games but I think it is unique enough not to just be a complete clone. the map system is really well done. the lack of focus on story is nice which got to be a bit too much in later gta games. replays are a cool feature. the fact that no specific missions are required and you just have a goal of a certain amount of points gives the game a more freeform feel. yeah a lot of people enjoy just going on a rampage in gta but in this game if you already have a decent amount of points that rampage might just give you enough to go to the next city instead of accomplishing nothing like in gta.

this may be the first game where you get to kill a bunch of kkk guys. That was my favorite mission.

I do hope they update the game with patches and either a map editor or extra maps but its already really good as it is.

oh yeah if you start killing enough people and police they will get you and blow up your car or stop you somehow. it doesn't get as over dramatic as gta with tanks and such but they get the job done here.

this game has had a fairly long history but I think with the gp2x they found the perfect platform for this game. combination of anybody being able to develop for it commercially unlike gba and the hardware capabilities and you have a perfect match for payback.

now we just need download versions of this and vektar since I know thats the only thing keeping me from buying it. download could be cheaper and not have to worry about shipping which is good for those of us in north america

It's a pretty nice game, aye. :)

Although the 'gta style of play' (read: pissing off everyone and killing as many people as you can) isn't really.. well... well-done. Cars don't slip when you race through corners quickly. You keep bumping into lantern poles. Fences aren't to be seen early enough. The police is a joke and thus it's not really that much fun to go on a rampage. It just feels a bit slow in this mode. :(

Anyways, what IS fun though is the Tank mission (yes, you can drive a tank in the demo!). How? Just go to the North, and stand close to the red arrow on the map (so your red blip is near the red arrow). There should be a phone ringing around there, as long as you don't have a mission yet. Touch the phone and voila! Tank mission! :)

great game, it feels like a real commercial quality game does. i had fun playing it until i exited payback and now my gp2x won't boot :-(freezes at the green screen)
I don't know if i should blame the game for this though, gonna try to reinstall fw2.0 instead of 2.1....

yuujin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
great game, it feels like a real commercial quality game does. i had fun playing it until i exited payback and now my gp2x won't boot :-(freezes at the green screen)
I don't know if i should blame the game for this though, gonna try to reinstall fw2.0 instead of 2.1....

Yes, my gp2x refused to boot after I had exited payback. I replaced the batteries then it was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cars that don't have changes =( :
PUG
PUG GTI
Scooby
Vapour
Evo

In full game this cars don't change too?

dodgyville posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:08 AM said:

Yes, my gp2x refused to boot after I had exited payback. I replaced the batteries then it was fine.
Perhaps you fellas didn't fully update the firmware. After pressing start+select, launch the provided .gpu to finalize the upgrade!

- Alex

After about 5 hours of playing (finished all missions now, i think :D )
some more little details i noticed:
* The tank is quite cool, but its shoots missiles way too fast, in my opinion! And when your level goal is to reach like 1.5M points, you can get that by just getting a tank and shooting around for about 30 seconds and the whole level is done... not the best balance in this case :/ the tank mission that is in the demo is also way too easy "reach 20.000 points" you can get that by just shooting one (!) police car and thats already enough... it should be more like 200.000 points :unsure:
* I never noticed that the Police did anything against me when i have got 1-2 stars... maybe they should at least run behind me.. :/
* In fact, police is never a real big problem, or at least not with 1-4/5 stars. The police road blocks are fun to drive through, but they dont stop you.
* if you are in the soccer stadium, there is a hole you can fall in if you first walk up the wall, and theres no way to get out. The only way is to bomb yourself up, but if you dont have the weapon you're really stuck and have to restart the WHOLE level :/
* (little suggestion) right now, all the people are the same... would be über, if there are maybe people who are trying to jack your car, beat you up, etc (for no apparently reason :p ) or if you jack somebodys car this person tries to get it back again B) ... but thats just some suggestions
* the things i said in page 4 or 5

Other then that, this is a great, addictive making game and im definitely getting it (soon) :)

The game is great but the police are useless! For the full game we need slightly changed camara angle,better and more fun police,more cars,take away the ability that busses can speed up 45 degrise red *thing* more islands. That should be good! :p Mabey a way to make import 3d models and create your own cars!

Sorry for repeating the same question, but... there will ever be a "Download Version"? I know it takes a lot of MB, but it could be possible, including a "unlock" code which only works with GP2X ID, as Elements Games have done with Blazar.

Yours,

Erhm, ED or Craig, will Apex continue development on the game after the 'official' release? I mean, will there be patches that will solve bugs or will there be gameplay improvements with the input gathered by the players?

And is this the gold demo? ( = The game is finished. )

There is a Minigun that you CAN access easilly.
When you enter the millitary base through the main gate, go RIGHT immediately. Follow the airbase fence on your right and at one point you will see a crate. That one contains a minigun. Have fun. There aren't many bullets though :p

Alex. posted on Oct 22 2006 at 02:12 PM said:
dodgyville posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:08 AM said:

Perhaps you fellas didn't fully update the firmware. After pressing start+select, launch the provided .gpu to finalize the upgrade!

- Alex

yeah i missed that part of the upgrade, but i sort of solved the problem by downgrading to 2.0 and then (when the menu decided to show it's face again:) running the patch. Quite funny result cuz now i have a mix of 2.0 and 2.1 :-O
sorry for the off-topic bit.

Back