Payback Released

Is there any changes from the demo? Cause i'd be considering it if the sunlight didn't blind me all the time.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting this regardless. I'm very impressed with what Apex Designs have done despite the lack of 3d hardware.

Just read the progress report and I'm speechless at some of the techniques, like a compression of 500:1 on a HDR floating point lightmap??

I hope that Apex Designs are considering doing another game for the gp2x cause I'd really like to see it! :D

What do you think Evil Dragon (or any other mod who's played it)?

I think an RTS with the Payback engine would work immensely well!

- Alex

So is this a copy of the first GTA? Or was Payback actually released first and Rockstar copied this game?

Either way, judging only from the video, I'm going to have to say that Rockstar had a better soundtrack for the first GTA. This soundtrack seems to be all (crappy) hiphop.

So is this a copy of the first GTA? Or was Payback actually released first and Rockstar copied this game?

Yeah thats what I kinda thought when I saw that this was made for the amiga (amost other systems). But here's whats on wikipedia:

Payback is a videogame by Apex Designs. It was originally one fan's project to make an Amiga clone of Grand Theft Auto, but, in the author's own words, "every effort has been made to ensure that Payback beats GTA in every way."

fomit posted on Dec 7 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
Either way, judging only from the video, I'm going to have to say that Rockstar had a better soundtrack for the first GTA. This soundtrack seems to be all (crappy) hiphop.

The default playlist on the GP2X version is less than half hip-hop and you can also change the playlist if you want, including adding your own songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
jrd posted on Dec 7 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
you can also change the playlist if you want, including adding your own songs.
Best of Metallica here I come :)

- Alex

I will probably buy this after Christmas, it's not really my kinda game but I really want to support development for the GP2X. My boyfriend will probably play it more than me though.

vaustein posted on Dec 7 2006 at 06:11 PM said:
What's the FPS? The rolling demo seemed to be running at <30 on average.

Same as the playable demo, which is much higher than the rolling demo because it's based on a much more recent version of the code. There's a link to it at the top of the thread.

I just ordered it from the US distributer. I honestly don't even like GTA clones. I just did it because it was done well for the HW, and takes advantage of it. It was more of a "donation" for the good work. The GP2X is such a small platform with little support. If you are kind of "on the fence" but can afford it, you may want to consider buying just to support good developers if nothing else.

Good development should be rewarded. I would never buy "odonata" for example, with it's dithery 256 color converted GFX, that was just a crappy effort.

OrR posted on Dec 7 2006 at 06:20 PM said:
So at can you add player created maps ( http://www.apex-designs.net/payback_maps.html ) ? Never heard an answer to that...

Unfortunately the GP2X version uses a different file format to the Amiga and Mac versions so you can't use those maps - although it does include a lot more built-in maps than those versions (11 vs 4), including some of the better ones from that page.

Back