Payback Playable Demo Released

Many have said it, but I have to do it as well : Very impressive game! Will certainly get this!

Lupin posted on Oct 24 2006 at 08:25 AM said:
Also these pics. . . Have obviously been put through Anti Aliasing techniques on a PC as they do not accurately represent the in game graphics.
Looks to me like they replaced the AA with that HDR lighting. As I recall, AA and bloom/HDR don't generally get along with each other, even on some fancy new graphics hardware. Personally, I'd rather have the anti-aliasing back. . . there should be an option to choose between the two.

Anyway, feels like an awesome game so far. As for it being a GTA 2 clone. . . well, at least *this* demo isn't on a 5 minute timer =P

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave it a thorough play for the past few days, and I have the following points to make:t
  • the music and sound effects are top-notch, the GP2X's speakers don't do it justice
  • the graphics are detailed and colourful, a pleasure to look at
  • the engine is smooth and does not lag, even when clocked at 200mhz - that's some terrific coding!
  • I like the camera lifting at a slight angle when you move, and enjoy the top-down view a lot
  • I hope the full game has a save-state feature
  • I hope there are more car types in the next levels/full game
Last but not least, a funny thing happened during the mission to follow the back-stabbing right hand: he was crossing the street when a bus struck him dead. Being the helpful fellow that I am, I took control of said bus and fully burst the backstabber. Oh well, can't have them all I guess ;)

One question, whose voice is Craig doing?

- Alex

Lupin posted on Oct 24 2006 at 07:25 AM said:
now I know you are not going to tell me your game looked as good as those cars in the first pick? Cause I know mine didnt.
I think you are right. I don't think the screenshots are doctored, but I do think they are from a previous build. after comparing, I see the hearts appear in a different place and the text seems different. I assume this is an earlier build of the game. I'm sure craig can clarify.

ingrin posted on Oct 25 2006 at 12:58 PM said:
Lupin posted on Oct 24 2006 at 07:25 AM said:
now I know you are not going to tell me your game looked as good as those cars in the first pick? Cause I know mine didnt.
I think you are right. I don't think the screenshots are doctored, but I do think they are from a previous build. after comparing, I see the hearts appear in a different place and the text seems different. I assume this is an earlier build of the game. I'm sure craig can clarify.

It's probably the difference in seeing them on an average LCD and then seeing it on a high-end PC monitor.

Noo, they obviously dropped the "4x antialiasing". the graphics are smooth enough as they are. of course, it would've been nice to provide accurate screenshots that reflect the demo...

- Alex

Alex. posted on Oct 25 2006 at 03:03 AM said:
I gave it a thorough play for the past few days, and I have the following points to make:t
  • the music and sound effects are top-notch, the GP2X's speakers don't do it justice
  • the graphics are detailed and colourful, a pleasure to look at
  • the engine is smooth and does not lag, even when clocked at 200mhz - that's some terrific coding!
  • I like the camera lifting at a slight angle when you move, and enjoy the top-down view a lot
  • I hope the full game has a save-state feature
  • I hope there are more car types in the next levels/full game
Last but not least, a funny thing happened during the mission to follow the back-stabbing right hand: he was crossing the street when a bus struck him dead. Being the helpful fellow that I am, I took control of said bus and fully burst the backstabber. Oh well, can't have them all I guess ;)

One question, whose voice is Craig doing?

- Alex
You obviously arent very good at noticing lag. There is a noticable improvement at 260mhz, much smoother. There are pauses at 240. At 280 the difference is hard to notice between 260 and that, but there is a difference to be noticed if playing music while not in cars.

Alex. posted on Oct 24 2006 at 02:00 PM said:
Goemon4 posted on Oct 24 2006 at 11:25 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 24 2006 at 10:16 AM said:
Lupin posted on Oct 24 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
This game was made to appeal to people who dont just want retro gaming on the GP2X
Is this your own assumption or did you read it somewhere?

The GTA-style top-down view is pretty retro these days.

yeah, back to the ps1 days, which people are emulating on their 2x... i mena its just about 2 generations old (in console generations) imo its very retro with a new modern touch... man i cant wait till this thing get here!!
Do you honestly consider the PS1 retro? :-\

- Alex

well its almost 2 generations old, so kinda, i mean the n64 is considdered a retro console...and i belive it came out in 96 (i not sure tho) either way it an outdated way of playing games (imo) since most games (gta
) have the camera viewing you character from the back so imo its (payback) is a pretty retro-ish

Alex. posted on Oct 25 2006 at 04:03 AM said:
[*]I hope the full game has a save-state feature
I don't think so, Payback is designed to be played in long sessions. Not really ideal for a mobile game and probably the reason why the GBA version didn't receive more hype... A save state on exit that would be reloaded when starting the game again would be nice but it might be an awful lot of work to code it...

By the way, I love the HDR lighting effects... B) This game has so many nice touches everywhere... I just love it. It's like the top down GTAs finally getting a sequel. Now it needs to be modded like hell. B)

OrR posted on Oct 25 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
It's like the top down GTAs finally getting a sequel.
Finally? GTA Advance was top down, too, and it was pretty good. No where near as impressive graphically as Payback, but still good.

OrR posted on Oct 25 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
I don't think so, Payback is designed to be played in long sessions. Not really ideal for a mobile game and probably the reason why the GBA version didn't receive more hype... A save state on exit that would be reloaded when starting the game again would be nice but it might be an awful lot of work to code it...

By the way, I love the HDR lighting effects... B) This game has so many nice touches everywhere... I just love it. It's like the top down GTAs finally getting a sequel. Now it needs to be modded like hell. B)
ummmm. if there werent save states you couldnt advance in the game. You end up doing many missions over again. I figure saving simply isn't in the demo because then people would just play the demo. How could u get to the other cities, or levels or whatever, if this is the case I will not buy it because unless on a trip I only use my 2x in 20 minute bursts.

Jackd posted on Oct 25 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
ummmm. if there werent save states you couldnt advance in the game. You end up doing many missions over again. I figure saving simply isn't in the demo because then people would just play the demo. How could u get to the other cities, or levels or whatever, if this is the case I will not buy it because unless on a trip I only use my 2x in 20 minute bursts.
I would assume it saves like it does in the Demo, when you complete the level's point requirement.

Jackd posted on Oct 25 2006 at 07:59 PM said:
oh my bad, i suck to bad to have completed the requirement

Go to that red arrow on the map at the start of the game, you will find a ringing phone. pick it up, complete the mission, go on a rampage, voila, mission complete... Bet you can get it done in under 3 minutes...

OrR posted on Oct 25 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
I don't think so, Payback is designed to be played in long sessions.
That's great, especially with our battery-hungry beast...

Not really ideal for a mobile game
Yea, too bad it's on a handheld huh.

A save state on exit that would be reloaded when starting the game again would be nice but it might be an awful lot of work to code it...
It's a commercial game, so hard work being put in it should be a given :p

- Alex

Well, im surprised my comment caused any kind of talk at all. Even more so that there where people who agreed and disagreed. (Typically I get one or the other) As far as "Is PSX retro?" to me it isn't retro yet because we haven't that jump forward in gaming like we did from the 2d era to the 3d era. To me retro is the fact that we are pardon the cliche gaming in the "new era" of 3d. Some might argue, then does nothing become retro since there is no "4d". No it will, but only when something comes along to push us to the "next level". Im banking on the Wii right now. Where in the next 2 or 3 console cycles we look back on N64 and XBOX and Gamecube and PSX and call them retro because when you play them you lose something. You lose that added depth of gameplay, which in the case of a "Wii Future" if you will is motion based gameplay.

Just a crazy mans musings I suppose. Go on do what you must, don't worry, Im "Flame Proof" hehe hehe. *Goes off and laughs at his on joke*

Ravnos posted on Oct 26 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
OrR posted on Oct 25 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
It's like the top down GTAs finally getting a sequel.
Finally? GTA Advance was top down, too, and it was pretty good. No where near as impressive graphically as Payback, but still good.
Well, I didn't like it... The framerate was crappy without any reason and gameplay wasn't that great, either. Maybe it was at a level with GTA 1 but I never liked that one too much, either. The camera has to rotate with the character as it does in Payback to make me happy. B)

I'll be sure to download the demo of this when I get my gp. Hopefully my parents will let me buy it. (I mean, you cant really go on the page without seeing all the blood and guts... I wish there was some way :{ )

Back