Paper Wars

start writing your own games and we'll be waiting
no no, i've only asked when the games will be disponible for what are planned to the competition. :eek:

Code:
Submission deadline: Sunday, 10th Jul 2011 23.59 GMT (23 days left)
Voting deadline: Friday, 22nd Jul 2011 23.59 GMT (35 days left)
Winner announced: Sunday, 24th Jul 2011 20.00 GMT (37 days left)

from the riotdigital page. submission deadline is in 3 weeks and i guess every contestant is going to put as much work as possible until then and not getting released anything before.
at least from my side, we're waiting until the deadline before we're going to release anything, as stated before.

patience is the key ;)

Sorry haven't been round much this weekend. Its been a busy one <_<

Here's a little taste of some in game stuff.
The red base. Defend this with your life .. YOUR LIFE!

redbase.jpg

traylorpark said:
Sorry haven't been round much this weekend. Its been a busy one <_<

Here's a little taste of some in game stuff.
The red base. Defend this with your life .. YOUR LIFE!

redbase.jpg

great !

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! looks very nice! i hope this can get to the caanoo! :rolleyes:
great work traylorpark and crow! ;)

Paper Wars has officially been submitted! ... (a day ago)
I'm really psyched for you guys to play it.

I realize crow and I didn't update much here the past couple weeks. Honestly though, we were too busy polishing the game to do any forum posts.

I have to lament for a moment, that a full range of sound effects didn't make it into the game. Crow and I are not sound artists, so naturally it was the last thing to address, haha!

Instead we spent the time implementing a large array of animations and FX for the units. Certainly, after the contest, sounds will be put in.

Anyways, in the next day or so, I'll be putting up some/a tutorial video, for those who are kinda in the dark about how to play this game.

I'm excited for you all to see some of our solutions to the problems discussed earlier in this thread, such as the camera. I think we have an amazing solution for that. You won't even be thinking about how to control your perspective much anymore. Of course I'm also excited for you to see the paper game world itself :lol:

So, bring your crits! Bring your compliments!

Hey friends!
Since the game is going up soon as part of the competition, I figured it would be good to make a video tutorial on the basics of the Paper Wars gameplay.

title-screen.jpg
Click the image or here to view it on uTube.

Its my first tutorial, the editing is a bit messy, you can hear my computer in the background, and I missed some slightly more advanced topics. Ahhh well, perhaps I'll do another video later covering advanced tactics ... or you can discover them yourself :ph34r:

Beautiful!!! :D :D thanks peter :)
and, the graphics shown in the video is the graphics on real caanoo?
and final question: you thinks after the compo you can still work on this game?

kayuz said:
Beautiful!!! :D :D thanks peter :)
and, the graphics shown in the video is the graphics on real caanoo?
and final question: you thinks after the compo you can still work on this game?

You can download it now and find out :rolleyes: It looks almost exactly the same on the Caanoo (actually, probably better then the video makes it look).

Oh yeah, this is a long term project! After the compo, expect maaany more maps and cool stuff.

foxblock said:
Hey there, sorry to ask, but any chance for a PC build while the compo is still running?

I had to think about this question for a while. Crow and I decided back that this would be a handheld only release. We didn't want to the dilute the value of the handheld game by having a PC version. We want players to feel that this game is custom tailored to their handheld. The handheld is the best place to experience this game.

That was our decision, and I guess it might be unfair to change that half-way through the compo voting. I'm happy to face the consequences of only releasing a portable version.

But I don't want to be a jerk and stop people from playing our game. Perhaps after the compo is finished, I can send out PC versions to people on a per-request basis. I'll have to talk to Crow about that (who is actually on vacation right now).

If somebody has an argument against all this, I'll be happy to hear it. However, I was kinda let down when I saw all the PC and Linux builds. This is an open handhelds contest! These are handheld games. They should be judged as such.

heh, sorry, that was a bit more of an answer then you needed B)

You can download it now and find out It looks almost exactly the same on the Caanoo (actually, probably better then the video makes it look).

Oh yeah, this is a long term project! After the compo, expect maaany more maps and cool stuff.
is that I want to hear ;) ;)

traylorpark said:
If somebody has an argument against all this, I'll be happy to hear it. However, I was kinda let down when I saw all the PC and Linux builds. This is an open handhelds contest! These are handheld games. They should be judged as such.

heh, sorry, that was a bit more of an answer then you needed B)

No argument against it, this is your decision and I respect it.
But on the last comment: Sure this is a handheld competition, but guess why it was supposed to be a cross-platform competition - in order to ensure that all people are able play all of the games.
If you would port all games over to all handhelds there would not be a need for PC builds, but as you can see this is a unrealistic assumption and I understand that it is not trivial in every case as there are hardware differences (mind this is still easy in most cases).
Now games being released for only one platform cannot be experienced by a lot of the users, which is where PC builds come in handy (everyone has a PC after all).

I agree that handhelds should be the main priority target, but I do not agree that a PC build dilutes the value of the game (why would it?), actually it helps you to reach a broader target audience and when I make games I want as many people as possible to experience my game, independent of hardware. Exclusive content is something stupid in my eyes, it only seems to make one group of people feel special while the rest of the world is left in the rain, why not try to bring the fun to all people?
I agree that the experience might be better on a handheld and cannot be matched on a PC, but if you are afraid people might judge your game wrongly when playing on a PC, put a note in "This game is supposed to run a CAANOO, it simply feels better" (just like Team Meat put a note "Use a controller instead of a keyboard - it plays better" at the start of SuperMeatBoy - they did not just disable keyboard input).

Well that is my view on the matter, I don't think there is the need and this is the right place for a more elaborate discussion on the matter.
If you still would like to do so however you are free to comment, write me a PM or contact me for IM details :)

Still, as said before the game is looking incredible nice, it would be shame to keep anyone from playing it ;)

foxblock said:
put a note in "This game is supposed to run a CAANOO, it simply feels better" (just like Team Meat put a note "Use a controller instead of a keyboard - it plays better" at the start of SuperMeatBoy - they did not just disable keyboard input).
That will just wont work. How will you emulate the G-sensor on a PC ? this game use it a lot.
(well I guess one could use the mouse for that, but it wouldnt fell the same at all)

@Crow & traylorpark :

Great game. I've had a short play so far and I liked the experience.
I'm looking forward to updates (musics asap please ;) )

This game looks fantastic peter - how about multi player over wifi ad-hoc and online B)

Thanks for your hard work guys ruffnutts ;)

sebt3 said:
Great game. I've had a short play so far and I liked the experience.
I'm looking forward to updates (musics asap please ;) )

Yeah, I know! Music is needed ASAP.

ruffnutts said:
This game looks fantastic peter - how about multi player over wifi ad-hoc and online B)

Thanks for your hard work guys ruffnutts ;)

Wifi is for sure something we want to do. how when and where are not things that we are totally decided upon. For sure, it is my dream to play Paper Wars online with members of this community! You guys will of course be the first to know when we decide something.

Thanks for the comments! If you have any crits or ideas please share 'em!

sebt3 said:
That will just wont work. How will you emulate the G-sensor on a PC ? this game use it a lot.
(well I guess one could use the mouse for that, but it wouldnt fell the same at all)

The instruction video did seem to be played on a PC and I also don't see what this game desperately needs the G-Sensor for (Camera movement probably, but you can do that easily with a mouse, too - sure that is not the same experience and that is exactly what that note is for).
Then again I haven't and can't play it, so I will shut up now.

foxblock said:
sebt3 said:

The instruction video did seem to be played on a PC and I also don't see what this game desperately needs the G-Sensor for (Camera movement probably, but you can do that easily with a mouse, too - sure that is not the same experience and that is exactly what that note is for).
Then again I haven't and can't play it, so I will shut up now.

What, a PC? That was the super secret dedicated Paper Wars development mainframe. No PC here, no sir.

kayuz said:
And what about an map editor? will be fantastic! :D

How are your Blender skills? B)

Oh, by the by ... be sure you turn on the vibration on your Caanoo. Paper Wars uses it!

Back