Paper Wars

Blue Protoman said:
It's beautiful! Check the RIOT thread on the official boards.

torpor said:
I have to say that this game looks bloody beautiful on the Pandora .. wow!

Thanks a lot guys! I only wish I had a Pandora to try it on *crying*
And here is something interesting, all the graphics for the level and units are actually half their native size due to the constraints on the Caanoo. I bet the Pandora could handle the full resolution graphics quite well ... and look even better B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Open up a donation pool and people will donate. And if you win the compo, you're a big step there.

awesome game!

any chance of aquiring the sources?
I'm just starting a game project myself and you guys are like half way there ^^

Blue Protoman said:
Open up a donation pool and people will donate. And if you win the compo, you're a big step there.

thats something to think about

conso said:
awesome game!

any chance of aquiring the sources?
I'm just starting a game project myself and you guys are like half way there ^^

The source code is Crow's area. I'm gonna guess that he's gonna wanna keep it closed. But I'm sure he'd be happy to help you with any questions. Regarding the art, ask me anything!

Orion4874 said:
Congrats guys, you totally deserved 1st place imo! Now this game better get finished or I see torches and pitchforks in your future!

If last night's epic 3 hour long dev discussion is any indicator, there's a LOT incoming. We are planning some pretty significant gameplay changes that will totally alter how this game will play and how you will plan your strategies ... for the much much better.

conso: get the Wakebreaker sources if you want a leg-up for 3D game development .. pretty much everything you need to get started is already done in Wakebreaker, and you can extend it easily enough .. http://w1xer.at/pandora/

torpor said:
conso: get the Wakebreaker sources if you want a leg-up for 3D game development .. pretty much everything you need to get started is already done in Wakebreaker, and you can extend it easily enough .. http://w1xer.at/pandora/

awesome. will definatly take a look. :)

Advance Wars (Days of Ruin) has always been one of my favorite games, especially for multiplayer, so I've been waiting excitedly to see what this game is like. Played it on my pandora today, and I must say it's definitely heading in the right direction. I really hope you continue this project because it has the potential to be something grand. Oh, and the graphics are gorgeous, btw.

I played alot Advance Wars 1+2 on the GBA, even managed to almost finisch hard mode in AW2 which is actualy "unfair mode" I would say. :D
So I guess I know a little bit about these kind of games and I'm sure that Paper Wars is the right thing for me. I hope my Pandora is soon back from repair, I have to play this game as soon as possible.

Just one question first, do you capture Cities only by shooting them down or can you just walk over if no enemy Unit is in and the City (neutral or enemy) is yours then? Because the great thing in Advance Wars was that an enemy can't just capture your Cities as long one of your Units is in the City. :) Cities also give a big defense Bonus so it is great to keep a Unit in each city for defending.
In the TuT Video it seems that you just stand beside the City so can an enemy just shoot it down and capture it even if you are in the range of the City?

Hey Fusion!

Currently, you can't park your units on top of a structure/city. The game being 3D and all, it makes that visual metaphor a little difficult. Advance wars is 2D, so its pretty easy just to drop a sprite on top of building in order to convey the information that the structure is "occupied".

I can't think of a great way of doing currently. Perhaps some sort of garrison option ability.
But currently (and I kinda like this) you have to just position your defending units correctly. Understand what shoot distance is for all the units (hint: its the same) and put your defensive units correctly in between your structure and oncoming enemies.

What we are working on, is height advantage, because that is a concept that is easily communicated in 3D. And while a building does not offer extra defense, it can heal you! So, that in itself is in a way, some defense.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

;) Congrats! :lol:

Please, don't drop the game!
I'd like to see a good turn based strategy with some campagins / wifi multiplayer and hot sit.
Caanoo lacks of such games badly ;((((

traylorpark said:
Hey Fusion!

Currently, you can't park your units on top of a structure/city. The game being 3D and all, it makes that visual metaphor a little difficult. Advance wars is 2D, so its pretty easy just to drop a sprite on top of building in order to convey the information that the structure is "occupied".
I know this is a different in 3D graphics, I just thought onto the meaning of the capture function. :) So can a enemy unit simply take over your City, even if there is a Unit of you in the range of this City? Or does your Unit automaticly "block" the capturing ability of the enemy (also the entering of the city area itself), as long as you are in range of the City? And raises a City your defense for Units in (around) the City?
For the graphical aspect, maybe the City could have a space onto ground where you can park one unit but this is not that important. As long as "IN" the City means NEAR the City, it should be fine.
Sorry to ask all that, would be more clear if I could test this Game by myself.

Oh, cool that you use Blender for the Game Grphics, I also experiment with Blender, Interface is torture but after Years of trying I guess I have found out how to use it, newest discovering of me was how to do UV-Mapping. :D I made some Towers just for testing and maybe for a 3D Tower Defense Game we are curently discussing in another Thread. What Engine do you use for your Game and in what format do you export the Blender Files? .obj I guess? I never did much in that direction but it could come in handy when my little Towers are really be used in a game (maybe) :)
We are also searching for someone that can do "organic" stuff like moving Enemies & Co. I have no clue/talent for this and never animated anything in Blender, you seem to have Talent for such things, could need some Mobs for a (possible) Tower Defense Game. Please take a look, we are still in the Idea phase, nothing is set into stone yet. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/60001-pandora-tower-defense-in-3d/

fusion_power said:
traylorpark said:
Hey Fusion!

I know this is a different in 3D graphics, I just thought onto the meaning of the capture function. :) So can a enemy unit simply take over your City, even if there is a Unit of you in the range of this City?

we're treating things differently in paperwars, we didnt clone the mechanics of advance wars.

each building has health, like a unit. and if you take down the health of a building to 0, it gets capturable. no matter if a unit stands beside it or not. you just cant walk onto a building and recapture it. also, the buildings do not influence the surrounding units, but each of them can actually heal a unit.

we did not intend to actually did not create advance wars in 3d, so don't expect that :)

anyway, we're always open to input that helps us in making the game more approachable! so i'm definitely looking forward to you comments+critique :)

Don Miguel said:
;) Congrats! :lol:

Please, don't drop the game!
I'd like to see a good turn based strategy with some campagins / wifi multiplayer and hot sit.
Caanoo lacks of such games badly ;((((

thanks! congrats back to you and your teammate, too!

we definitely dont drop the game, i've already picked up developing again (yesterday).
so expect a new release with fixes and changes and whatnot hopefully soon :)

we definitely dont drop the game, i've already picked up developing again (yesterday).
so expect a new release with fixes and changes and whatnot hopefully soon
very good! i'll wait it :D ;)

crow_riot said:
we're treating things differently in paperwars, we didnt clone the mechanics of advance wars.

each building has health, like a unit. and if you take down the health of a building to 0, it gets capturable. no matter if a unit stands beside it or not. you just cant walk onto a building and recapture it. also, the buildings do not influence the surrounding units, but each of them can actually heal a unit.

we did not intend to actually did not create advance wars in 3d, so don't expect that :)

anyway, we're always open to input that helps us in making the game more approachable! so i'm definitely looking forward to you comments+critique :)
I took Advance Wars just as an example. Of course there is no need to copy its mechanics (even if it has some interesting elements in, like the different Commander Skills etc. :D )
Cities were a great strategic element in AW so I asked. So in your game, I have to defend a city "from outside" and kill the Attacker before he can take over the city, sounds also like a nice Idea.
Do you plan more different Units or are the current units the only ones?

EDIT: OK, My Pandora is back and I finaly was able to play Paper Wars. Pretty nice game, and fluid too. :) I played until the game freezed, Memory Leak maybe? ^^" I was not able to finish a game yet, maybe I just need to long. Even when I had every building, enemy still can build units like mad, does the CPU cheat? The 3-Moves-Limit is not easy to learn, it takes ages to move new units to the front, and you can't defend the front correctly when you have to move and heal other units. Makes the game insane hard with more than a handful of units, I guess Paper Wars is designed to only have a few units or so.
The Pandora Touchscreen is quite unresponsive in Paper Wars, I have to klick hard and long and often need lots of clicks until something happens, I wish it would be faster input detecting, hope this can be adjusted.
During combat, I guess I noticed that the Enemy still can fire, even if he is actualy dead, because HP are reduced only at the end of the round, I would prefer that an enemy can't fire and instantly vanishes when its HP are 0. ;) Or at least that HPs are instantly reduced. Displaying stuff like "critical Hits" with special Graphics or so would be also nice, if crits exists of course. ^^
The Game needs more ingame feedback, I don't see enemy moves outside of the camera, an option for displaying enemy moves (camera move to place of enemy action and then back) would be great. More Usage of gaming buttons also would be nice, switching through Units etc...
Can I actualy heal Buildings? Also, nice feature would be if Units can pass directly through Cities, at least captured Cities. At the moment you have to move around a city even if it is yours.
The Map itself is not that good balanced IMHO, at least not fo a game with a Move Limit of 3. Orange has a clear advantage over the terrain and blue has a hard task to do with sending troops to the enemy base or to other buildings. It should be tweaked here and there for better "game-flow".

But the game is on a very good way. Makes a lot of fun already. ^^

EDIT 2: I forgot one thing: When you do 3 Shots with one unit in a row for example, there should be 3 shooting animations instead of one, makes more fun I think. BAM!-BAM!-BAM!;)

Hey! That is some great feedback, thank you very much! I don't have the time to respond at the moment, I'll try to later tonight.

Yes, good games do inspire me and fill my head up with ideas, could write entire Novels about it when I have the right game in my hands. :D

Back