Paper Wars

traylorpark

Very Active Member
Currently, the game is called

Paper Wars

Concept:
You can guess what the primary aesthetic goal is.
The idea is to make an extremely approachable and fun tactics game.
Inspiration is drawn from a number of places, such as Advance Wars, Chess etc.

Design:
However, there are a couple very conscious design decisions that makes this game unique:

There are three units: Tank, Copter, and Soldier.
Player has only 3 moves per turn. However, they can do whatever they want during those 3 moves, including move the same unit 3 times, or shoot with the same unit 3 times.

There is no base building per say, but there will be capturable locations such as a helicopter pad and cities.

Gameplay:
(Ill fill this in later)

Visual Targets:
The key word here is, Visually Tactile. The game looks like something you can touch and feel.
The following images are pre-rendered aesthetic targets. We hope to get close to this in realtime on the Caanoo ;)

oceanscene_1b.jpg

mountain%20scene_2.jpg

Click here for concept animation.

Credits:
Crow-Riot - code, magic, sensible ideas
Peter Traylor(park) - art, crazy ideas

Builds!
Oldest to most recent
Super Mega Alpha build: Paper Wars 5-29-11
The Riot Tag Team Coding Compy 2011: Caanoo, Wiz, Pandora

Website
RiotandPark.com

WOW! :) :) It's nice!!!!!! :eek: :eek: for what console you release this?

Aww man, and here I was hoping you were gonna restart and submit your minigolf game. Oh well, this is acceptable as well. ;) Just kidding, this looks FREAKIN AWSOME!! With you and Crow working together this should be something special!

Thanks guys!

Orion4874 said:
Aww man, and here I was hoping you were gonna restart and submit your minigolf game. Oh well, this is acceptable as well. ;) Just kidding, this looks FREAKIN AWSOME!! With you and Crow working together this should be something special!

Heh, the golf game was good practice to get used making for the Caanoo.
Working with Mr. Crow-Riot has been and remains a pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
just that i write something here, too ;)

i also asked peter if he doesnt want to submit his minigolf game, but as he stated, it's not ready yet. on the other side, this makes it possible for me to work with him on this visually unique project! :D

we're making steady progress, hopefully to have an early beta ready in 2 weeks.
the images are a visual target we want to achieve, but for sure the shadows are not going to work on the caanoo, for DOF i've some ideas, but i'm far away from trying that out.

currently i'm working on the gui system, which should then enable us to create a gui once for all build targets without major changes.
so to say, for the contest deadline, i'm planning to have at least caanoo and pandora binaries and hopefully when there's time left, a wiz binary too.
and if all else fails, caanoo for sure and a windows executable which is proven to run with wine.

"I was rooting for you kids to get together" ... ok, sorry, that was a quote from Firends. This looks really good. It truly feels like i can reach out and grab it. I'm not sure why? Is it because of the textures? If you get the DOF working it will be amazing. Let us know how those experiments go (with screenies ;) )

/Uni

Akabei said:
Wow, be careful.
This one looks so good, you might demotivate some other coders in the competition :lol:

Gah! I hope not! I really hope there are a lot of entries in this competition.
The more, the better for the community.

u9i said:
It truly feels like i can reach out and grab it. I'm not sure why?

I know why ;)

BlackCurtain said:
I believe it's the simple toon textures + the occlusion shadowing and DoF.
Looks great anyhow.

That's part of it ... B)

kayuz said:
for when a beta of Paper wars? :)

well difficult question. it's done when it's done - we're heading for mid of may, but dont hold your breath ;)

this week the beta of Paper Wars should be released, right? :) :)

Gah, so much working.
So little posting...

Just to show you we aren't dead...

Here is a city that has recently been captured
city_inprog.png

*note - tanks can't capture cities ;)

Back