Paper Wars

Rodolfo said:
The so lightweighted, free and cool Blender? ;) Why not?
The old Blender was made to drive you crazy with its weird UI and stuff. Now that It made me crazy, I can handle it quite good. :D
But then, they released Blender 2.5 with a NEW UI and even worse, NEW Hotkeys, I havn't reacht THAT level of madness yet so I stay at Blender 2.49 for a while. ;)

However, beginners will have it much easier with the new Blender, to be honest. It not even look better but also make some things more clear. When I'm in the right mood, maybe I dig deeper in Blender 2.5 but for the moment, the old, crazy Blender is just fine ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
I used before and after 2.5 release. The current problem is the lack of tutorials the 2.4X build in time...
I think it easy to use, but not straight-foward. ;)

the modeller doesn't really matter as long as it can export FBX files. i dont use raw blender files, just peter is using blender as his 3d modeller. i got a tiny tool that converts from fbx to my proprietary format, thats all.

So, here is some progress reporting.

I am currently working on the next map. It's much bigger with more strategic opportunities! It takes place in the wintery mountains.
Here are some shots!

mountains1.jpg

mountains2.jpg

mountains3.jpg

mountains4.jpg

And this is what it kinda looks like when I'm building in Blender ... kinda.

makinmountains.jpg

Dr. Crow is working his magic on some new UI features, such as health bars, showing the damage done, a camera showing the enemies attack and more.

It's all very delicious right now actually!

i like too make new maps... but i don't think i can use blender :p
for the new screens, well, is what i want to see; A FANTASTIC WORK! the textures are amazing!

WOW! But it looks more like a plateau than a mountain. Are you going to throw in a bit of scenery (however inaccessible) around the edges to balance it out, or at least a background?

torpor said:
It looks absolutely beautiful. I sure wish I could do that with Blender!

You can! Don't let anybody tell you you can't B)

Blue Protoman said:
WOW! But it looks more like a plateau than a mountain. Are you going to throw in a bit of scenery (however inaccessible) around the edges to balance it out, or at least a background?

Bla bla, plateau, mountain ... do you want tanks just rolling down the slopes? actually, that could be funny. anyways, yes I am planning much more scenery and detail around it to give more context.

This looks very nice. The Paper really looks like Paper. :) I still have to fight in Blender with the correct Material and lightning settings, but I make progress over the time. I discovered that some alternative Material shaders can do miracles, I always used the standard ones. The Blender standard settings are actualy all pretty useless. :D Same for the renderer. I always wondered why my Render Images are so blurred, now I know the "bad guy". Blender standard render Anti Aliasing filter setting is "Gauss" - all the years I used this blurry blurr filter, now I switched to "Mitch" and all is crisp clear ans sharp. ^^ Same for the correct "Ambient Occlusion" settings and many other standard stuff. Blender can drive you crazy with searching for the best settings. And I guess I keep 2.49 for a while even if the new UI looks much better.

traylorpark said:
Bla bla, plateau, mountain ... do you want tanks just rolling down the slopes? actually, that could be funny. anyways, yes I am planning much more scenery and detail around it to give more context.
Scenery and Detail is nice but it never should lead into loosing overview over the Map. I guess this is the real challenge in making a good looking but also good playable Map. :)

If you have any questions, Id be happy to help you out!
And my first piece of advice would be to run away from 2.49 screaming with your hands in air like ET. Truthfully, the more recent 2.59 series is a pleasure to work with. Leaves very little to be desired from the old versions. Its all kinda logical now.
Check out one on http://graphicall.org/

Hello friends, here is a little update. Well, little in terms of how big this post is ... not little in regards to how much work has been done.

These are a couple of beauty renders for the upcoming level. It's already fully playable with lots of interesting tactical opportunities. Note, the depth of field is just me having fun, not available in the game, sorry. ;)

moutnain_beau1b.jpg

moutnain_beau2b.jpg

Not much farther on this now, mostly just get it game engine ready! Hopefully we can release it soon, geez, I'm working every day on it.

Looks great, with the DoF Effect, it even looks like you really built it out of Paper, especialy with this lights setup. :) I never tried depth of field in Blender, I don't even know how to set it up correctly (I'm already happy when I get some decent shadows) but it seems that DoF give some nice results.
Are these the final Map colours?

wow! wonderful work traylorpark :)
see forward to a new release of this.. this gem of game ;)

fusion_power said:
Looks great, with the DoF Effect, it even looks like you really built it out of Paper, especialy with this lights setup. :) I never tried depth of field in Blender, I don't even know how to set it up correctly (I'm already happy when I get some decent shadows) but it seems that DoF give some nice results.
Are these the final Map colours?

Hey Fusion! Yeah, these are the final colors, save for some slight hue adjustment if I feel like its needed. What do you think? Also, if you have an questions about Blender, send me a PM! Id be glad to help you out!

This looks stunning. Good job. Looking forward to the next release

Is it going to be possible to port to a desktop at a later date?

We've not fully decided yet, what platforms are getting a release - also not in the far future :)

the first target was the caanoo and this one will remain for sure; the Pandora, too. The rest of the platforms may come or not, it's just a matter of time to do the ports, and time is tight as usual :)

crow_riot said:
We've not fully decided yet, what platforms are getting a release - also not in the far future :)

the first target was the caanoo and this one will remain for sure; the Pandora, too. The rest of the platforms may come or not, it's just a matter of time to do the ports, and time is tight as usual :)
As long as you make a Pandora version I'll be happy (I don't own a Caanoo), but having a desktop version would be pretty smart.

Keep up the good work

Back