Pandora Shipping In February 2009?

aliking said:
You need to stop thinking in absolute dates and switch to relative dates. The Pandora has always been going to ship in 1-2 months from now. ;)
That's a good bit of thinking, that.

:) :p

True

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
Sooo all those thinking its coming out in March are expecting delays then, eh? :p
You haven't been paying any attention to the last 6 months, have you? :p

Feb? I hope it does, i'm tired of people at my LUG asking me about it since i told them when it was preorder time. I really didnt wanna do that, but since it was the _only_ option for ordering to get one... did I voice my concerns over that business model before? ^^'

Squidge said:
RajTakhar said:
Case Design: January 15th
Case Prototyping: approx. 1-2 weeks later
Final production and delivery: approx. 2 - 4 weeks later
15th Jan + 2 weeks = February, plus 4 weeks = End Feb/Begin of March.

Earliest = 15 Jan + 1 week + 2 weeks = February.

So, shipped Feb or March, depending on external companies.

I've added a question mark to your post to prevent confusion.

Hmm I kinda saw the final production and delivery being 2-4 weeks after the January 15 deadline but now I'm seeing it here as 2-4 weeks after the case prototyping instead. So...which is right? :p

With my luck, it'll probably the longer route, haha.

MDave said:
If we go by the average I calculated with no delays it makes it mid Feb.
If there is delays, like a 1 or 2 week delay then that still keeps it in Feb, very early March. Why late March? :huh:
Those are manufacturing estimates, they don't include other factors that come into play like packaging & accessories (Batteries, cases TV Leads, SD Cards to complete many orders) and the matter of shipping finished units to the distribution points before sending them out!

Realistically unless you ordered yours the split second it became available to purchase, I would set your sights around MAY, then you can only be excited when and if it comes earlier, otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm hoping for a late February release, but I'm not holding my breath. All it takes is one company to hold back a component order, or the financial crisis to rear it's ugly head and thing's are back to square one. I really wouldn't want to be Craig right now. He's worked his arse off to get to this point, and the forum is awash with people bitching about the release date slipping. show some praise!

spikeyxx said:
I really wouldn't want to be Craig right now. He's worked his arse off to get to this point, and the forum is awash with people bitching about the release date slipping. show some praise!
I really wouldn't want to be Evil Dragon or M Weston - they don't get no respect! ("Craig did this", "Craig did that" - show some love to the team ;) )

I'm hoping for March, but May wouldn't surprise me. February is yet another one of those "well, if we hit a home run..." sorts of dates - and no one in the history of any complex project has EVER hit that fabled "home run".

To the guy who's lost his patience - do yourself a favor and cancel now - that's always been your choice. I do agree that I think they should stop promising pictures of a completed case "real soon now" and then blowing blithely by it. That's bad form.

spikeyxx said:
Realistically unless you ordered yours the split second it became available to purchase, I would set your sights around MAY, then you can only be excited when and if it comes earlier, otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yup. What has Murphy taught us in the last 6 months? Expect something to go wrong. Expect something to be shipped to the wrong place. Expect some manufacturing company to not cooperate.

May has been my personal silent estimate ever since the mid-december "OMG the CC reorder page isn't online yet!" hurdle. I'm just glad someone else came out and stated it publicly.

sverm said:
May has been my personal silent estimate ever since the mid-december "OMG the CC reorder page isn't online yet!" hurdle. I'm just glad someone else came out and stated it publicly.
Not to worry, the team will throw in a gig of ram and a built-in jetpack. You may want to hope for Feb 2010 though.

Username said:
Not to worry, the team will throw in a gig of ram and a built-in jetpack. You may want to hope for Feb 2010 though.
Coming from a software development background (just none of it in Linux, to my dismay), scope creep is often the source of delays. I think scope creep / last minute design changes can apply to hardware as well.

It's good to see things are solidifying (such as the final case tweaks being imminent). Software can always be updated later in the field. It's not like we're going to be a bunch of kids going "why is this error message here? what does that not work?" I know there may still be rough edges on the SW on release date, but it's good to know that SW updates will be as easy as regular firmware updates (that, and the fact that the Pandora is designed to be unbrickable).

Username said:
sverm said:

not to talk about the gsm/umts-unit. pandora will be the iphone-killer, but to late ^^

and people here got it right. the pandora is only 1-2 months away since a whole long time. Things were announced, everybody was waiting and then in some subsentence of one of the dev`s one read something went wrong weeks ago and I go like "when were you planing on telling us?" Also, look at all those hurdles that were taken and the team still thinks it may take as long from now as it originally was stated when we preordered? Does anyone still believe the team didn't make any mistakes or wrong shedules in the past? No, the pandora would have been delayed even if everything else went fine and I'm a little upset it is always claimed different. I won't believe anything related to shipping-dates until i have mine shipped and unpacked. Still I don't see myself cancel the order, since there is still loving the concept of the pandora.

NickLoTurco said:
If we don't get a concrete release date by the end of the month then I'm pulling the plug on my order.
Do it, I'll be happy to buy yours when the unsold first batch units are released :)

Jan 5 2009. Chip told us “if everything goes well” the first batch should be shipping at the end of the month, and that an announcement will hopefully be made about the second batch sometime in Februrary.

Guess everything went wrong in 3 days? :(

I'd rather not have a guessed shipping date by the devs as we keep missing them and everyone gets upset. Let's hope the end of feb/march guess will be right, then everyone will feel the love and evrything will be ok :) Still love the project btw, so I won't be giving mine to anyone :)

puppydee said:
Jan 5 2009. Chip told us “if everything goes well” the first batch should be shipping at the end of the month, and that an announcement will hopefully be made about the second batch sometime in Februrary.

Guess everything went wrong in 3 days? :(

I'd rather not have a guessed shipping date by the devs as we keep missing them and everyone gets upset. Let's hope the end of feb/march guess will be right, then everyone will feel the love and evrything will be ok :) Still love the project btw, so I won't be giving mine to anyone :)

eh no, apparantly the factory making the battery decided to do some last minute changes to it, forcing them to wait with the final design of the casing, so the new battery would fit. this threw their schedule off a bit, but despite the pessimism of a few here, i see february as a very real date
the only thing that can hold it back atm seems to be either the casing, the batteries or the keyboard, since as far as i can follow, the other things seem to be going wel/seem to already have arrived.

and plz, people who have some fate, break the pessimism of the few loud complainers a bit, and give the devs some support :). it's annoying to read mostly bad comments from a few complainers ^^.
although i do recognise that it could happen that they don't make february. but it's obvious that the possible problems are rapidly decreasing, just about everything is in its final state.

I wasn't complaining and a do give the devs my full support, I just thought it's typical that in just 3 days a hitch in the system appeared so quickly. To be honest I'm not to fussed when it ships, I've got plenty of consoles and games to keep me busy till my Pandora turns up. Would be nice to arrive on or before my birthday on march 7th :)

puppydee said:
I wasn't complaining and a do give the devs my full support, I just thought it's typical that in just 3 days a hitch in the system appeared so quickly. To be honest I'm not to fussed when it ships, I've got plenty of consoles and games to keep me busy till my Pandora turns up. Would be nice to arrive on or before my birthday on march 7th :)
I'm pretty sure chip or at least somebody else from the team already knew of the battery-problem when he announced that estimate.

conso said:
I'm pretty sure chip or at least somebody else from the team already knew of the battery-problem when he announced that estimate.
My statement was based on an IM conversation I had the night before with Craig. I was never told "they'll ship in Jan", I merely interpolated based on the component manufacturing schedules. It seems I misinterpreted the information I was given.

puppydee said:
Hey that's my birthday too! :D
Here's hoping we get a great birthday filled with Pandora joy.

Back