No Pandora By Christmas

BenTolputt

OK, taking a look at the top two pinned threads along with the information we've had given to us in miscellaneous posts around the place, I think we either know or can assume the following:
  1. OpenPandora lacks (substantial) cash inhand: This fact stems from a small deductive chain along the lines of:Before being told about even more reorders being necessary, Chip mentioned that all but around 25% of customers needed to be refunded and reorder. So let us assume that only 75% of original orders needed to be redone (ignoring later messages on the subject). Let us assume (conservatively) that 80% of orders were via credit card.
  2. The Credit Card re-order pages are not up. Let us assume that 60-70% of the refunded customers are desiring to use the credit card to pay for it again (a very conservative estimate given the security inherent in credit card orders & the nervousness around the boards atm).
  3. OpenPandora was going to break even on the first batch of 4000 units. This is not a guess but word from OpenPandora themselves.
Given the above information one can deduce that there is ~1500 people still to put down their money, or around US$500,000 not in OpenPandora coffers that otherwise would be.QUOTE
( (4000 x 80% [credit card orders]) x 75% [people needing to reorder]) x 65% [people ordering via credit card again]) = 1560 orders
1560 x US$330 [order price] = US$514,800 outstanding

With this much short - OpenPandora still needs to order parts, handle manufacturing/labor costs, etc - bloody tight I think![*]Manufacturing Quality/Speed: Not too long ago we were informed that the manufacturing quality for the boards was not quite there yet. I think the number was 25% bad boards coming out the end of the pipeline. Let us assume they have (just) fixed that - that means manufacturing will start in earnest... at 5000 boards a month.
[*]LCD & Case Quantities: LCD's were coming in slowly and we have not yet heard about a change in this trend. The case & keyboards were only recently finalized (though I can't be 100% sure on the case - this is an assumption in OpenPandora's favor).
[*]It's two weeks until Christmas: For some parts of the world - you need a week/two weeks to be sure of a delivery.
Given the above facts, we have the following deductions:
  1. OpenPandora simply does not have the boards ready (LCD shortage, case/keyboard production, 5000/mth board production rate)
  2. OpenPandora cannot afford to pay for all boards right now (money on hand, lack of reorder pages)
  3. OpenPandora simply doesn't have time (reorder pages, 5000/mth board production rate, shipping time)
Believe it or not - this is not to bag out OpenPandora (and I am willing to be corrected in my reasoning and/or facts used above). This is simply a reality check for those that were making remarks (up to a day or two ago) on hopes of seeing the Pandora for X-mas. Unless OpenPandora has been holding out on us for a big surprise (and Craig's recent post does not seem to indicate this), taking a few seconds to think about the above will prevent the unnecessary inflation (& sudden deflation) of expectations.

And that ignores the fact that drivers and so on are not yet ready (though I doubt I'm alone in being OK with these coming at a later date if I can use even a limited Pandora Christmas morning!)

On that subject - do I bug the order people or someone else about the inability to accept delivery in mid-January. I have a family holiday planned so will not be able to accept delivery in the possible event it comes at that time...

Edit: People have corrected the name of company involved... logic still stands

I think you are a tad confused about who is actually making the pandora.

If so - they need to stop sending emails from "gp2xorders@googlemail.com"

Edit: Corrected spelling/grammar.

WTF?

GP2X is a console, not a company. GP2X is done by GamePark Holdings and they have no relation with Pandora.

Pandora is done by a new startup funded by a bunch of GP32/GP2X distributors from different countries (UK, Germany and Turkey mainly) and some technicians working on the system itself (Michael Weston, DaveC, Squidge, John Willis...). Exclusive distribution rights are done to those distributors in their countries, obviously.

Obviously you have been very poor informed. Anyway, maybe Pandora will not be ready before Christmas. We will see what happens, but the situation is quite desesperate for people wanting to have their Pandora NOW ;)

edit: ^ well you beat to it.

That is the name of the distribution that they use to distribute/sell the gp2x. The Gamepark company who own and create the GP2X devices do not make the Pandora.

I have an email with the "sender" being "gp2xorders@googlemail.com", however I'll bow to the posters above. The logic still stands though (a rose by any other name, etc)

exept its been stated repeatedly that the money from orders was not driveing the manufacturing ... :>

that does not aleviate the fact that your right there wont be Pandoras under folks Xmass trees unless elves spontainiously arive on all the OP members doorsteps to lend a hand and free beer, cookies .. ect ect ..

but we all knew that weeks ago, and those thad didnt well.. life is like a box o chocolates... .. (insert bad Gump voiceover here"

just my 2 cents not trying to be rude or anything its all ment with a smiley face ect ect ....

I didn't think many people were expecting it to arrive before christmas after the announcement of the LCD screens coming in slow and 25% failure rate of produced boards. Only the hopeful kids did (and probably still do)

Possibly, possibly not. In any case - I've laid out the reasons it's simply not going to happen in an appropriately titled thread for all to see... at least, all who visit these sub-forums of the gp32x forums.

An announcement of some form on the main website might be in order - but I have neither the power nor left over motivation to push for that :)

MDave said:
I didn't think many people were expecting it to arrive before Christmas after the announcement of the LCD screens coming in slow and 25% failure rate of produced boards. Only the hopeful kids did (and probably still do) ;)
Not many people? Have you read the board for a while? This topic came up lots of times already. Hell, i remember being called a doom thinker, because simple deductive logic already predicted this more then a month ago.

Lets see how long it will take for some of the fanatics, yes, thats the correct term, come here in droves telling us its not true, how it will ship by end November, o wait. Start of December, o wait, mid December, o wait...

Its been said before, after several of the setbacks, they kept the myth alive by using December as a date. While it was rather perfectly clear for none bias outsiders with a bit of logic, that there where in now way able to fulfill the 4000 orders by December.

Said it before, and will say it again. First units end of December, with a lot of luck, the complete batch only end of January ( and most likely up to mid February ).

Hell, i have not been able to "reorder" at all. The only way to reorder is the international bank transfer ( yea, lots of people are going to do that .. not! ). The CC system... *sigh*

And this entire bank problem. No offense, but if a bank works like that, my first answer after getting stonewalled like that, will have been going to the bank with a lawyer. You will be surprised how fast that nasty delay problem, those surcharge costs, and other problems will go away. To be Craigex looks like there are getting rolled by the bank ( looks more like half a mob bank then anything else ). And no, you don't need to sue a bank to get there asses in motion. Think about the lawyers cost as a investment. One days work ( and maybe 300pounds ) to scare the shit out off a few managers, and all off a sudden, you will be surprised how fast the wheels get in motion. The last thing a bank needs now, is a few more lawsuits.

I can bore you all with a few "real life" experiences with things like that, but trust me, i have yet to have met a boss, managers who did not shit his pants on the sighed off a lawsuit. And all off a sudden, those customers ( without the aid off even a lawyer, just the mention off a lawsuit ), well, those customers suddenly became the number one priority. Or, a bailiff ( don't know if thats the correct translation / legal term in the UK ) with maybe a cop on his side ( cost you around 125 euro's ) to monitor the transfer off the funds to a other bank. Craigex looks like he's just a nice guy, and he's getting rolled for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Pandoras actually started shipping November 30, I would have wagered even then that 75% of the devices wouldn't have arrived by Christmas. It's just a bit more obvious now.

Kudos to BenT though. Some of your posts in an earlier thread were a bit more overbearing than I would have supported given the situation. However, you seem like you have a decent head on your shoulders, and I consider you a credit to the community.

Benjiro said:
MDave said:
I didn't think many people were expecting it to arrive before Christmas after the announcement of the LCD screens coming in slow and 25% failure rate of produced boards. Only the hopeful kids did (and probably still do) ;)
Not many people? Have you read the board for a while? This topic came up lots of times already. Hell, i remember being called a doom thinker, because simple deductive logic already predicted this more then a month ago.

Lets see how long it will take for some of the fanatics, yes, thats the correct term, come here in droves telling us its not true, how it will ship by end November, o wait. Start of December, o wait, mid December, o wait...

Its been said before, after several of the setbacks, they kept the myth alive by using December as a date. While it was rather perfectly clear for none bias outsiders with a bit of logic, that there where in now way able to fulfill the 4000 orders by December.

Said it before, and will say it again. First units end of December, with a lot of luck, the complete batch only end of January ( and most likely up to mid February ).

I'm talking about the here and now, not the past (replying to the topic to be precise). Even then, take a look at that list someone keeps updated when people expect their pandora's to arrive. A lot more people expect it to come out after christmas. MWeston posted the 25% failure rate on the 20th November, so that (and the financial crisis) should of indicated to people that you'll be lucky to get one before christmas :p

j.pickens said:
Perhaps the people posting on this topic should step back and reflect upon the true meaning of the holiday they are disappointed about here...
The place I work closes shop for two weeks over christmas & New years, so it would of been great to have some spare time to play around with a new device.

BenT said:
j.pickens said:
And let's tell people coming here because they're worried about something they expected to give/get as a Christmas present to "go look at lolcats all day".

Orly...
Yes, really. In case you haven't noticed - I'm not talking about me in that post. I can afford the expense and was not terribly worried about the delay (I have mentioned this before, in threads you read & reply to). I was speaking to your insensitivity to others NOT in my lucky situation.

Oh, by the way, gift-giving came from the Roman celebration of Saturnalia. So, not strictly a "christian" thing :)

Let's get back on topic folks, rewind before j.pickens had the bright idea to "reflect" which started a bickering war. I didn't think the Pandora would have been delivered by Christmas, as it would be illogical. To even think that they would be finished with the first pre-order-er's Pandora by Christmas and have it arrive even in the month of December is very much wishful thinking.

On the note of gift giving, the main idea now in present times, is as I see it, a look back on the three wise men, not the commercial practice of getting what you want, more then what you need. Which is why we have those spoiled little brats in toys 'r us' that scream at the top of their lungs and throw giant temper tantrums knocking over store displays and such.

But like I said, get this train back on the tracks or I for see a lock n' LOL.

No Pandora By Christmas

Didn't you know, Christmas day is being moved to suit the release of the Pandora.

This means that everyone will get their Pandora by Christmas.

I must agree to what is said above: whatever day I receive Pandora, it will be Christmas!

I'm quite enjoying the wait, checking for updates etc, gives me something to do.

tranquility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drD20 said:
Actually Christmas is about Sol invictus who is identical with Helios, who is the cousin of Hephaistos who created Pandora. So theres no better date^^
It always makes me laugh when I see people connect Christmas with the birth of Jesus. :huh:
Six degrees of Pandora. Sweet.

Back