True/False: List of Pandora Statements

friz898

Still Fresh
tl;dr --> Well just skip to the list of questions/statements if nothing else!

Hi Guys,

Longtime lurker. I first discovered this while deployed to Iraq in 2008-2009. At the time, I thought I had stumbled on a secret goldmine, and immediately began prepping my Wife for our next purchase. I backed off after reading the current shipping issues. After two months of detailed reading and research, I pegged it as something to come back to later.

Well it's later. I'm a huge handheld gamer. Bought (not hacked) 72 games for my two PSPs, and 40 more for my DS. Now between the PSP dying off while waiting for release of PS Vita (appearing to be March 2012) and my 3DS collecting dust until all the big Mario games come out in November/December. I'm hot on the Pandora's trail. Being on my second deployment, this time to Afghanistan, I have way more time than I care to admit to play games (when not at work) since away from my Wife and son.

First thing I did was jump on this 7-Day guarantee thing. Only to find out the link was broken, and have not received email response from sales. Also after further reading, I saw that the 7-Day guarantee deal was no guarantee at all. I'm glad I wasn't able to complete the order. Money is not an issue, but just throwing $500+ out there with no idea of shipment, IS an issue.

However, I see myself being a Pandora owner in less than 3 weeks. I'm seeking instant gratification through E-Bay or these boards. So we'll see! Since I see myself becoming an owner soon, I figured it was time to ante up, and make an account.

My intent is to confirm what my research has told me. Unfortunately a side effect will be some of you rolling your eyes at the same old stuff. Those that fall in this category, my apologies, just skip this post and move-on.

Here we go, view all of these as True or False statements.

1. Pandora's price in USD is roughly $300. Premium is roughly $500.

2. Only places to buy is E-Bay (or similar), OP Forums, or by luck through Sales@Pandora.

3. Can emulate GB/Nes/MS through SNES/GBA/MAME/NeoGeo near flawlessly.

4. Can emulate PS1 extremely well at this time. With a few exceptions, sound and frame rate no longer a problem.

5. N64 emulation still tricky, but great progress has been made, and now many N64 games run without sound/framerate isues.

6. DC, Saturn, 3DO, and NDS emulation still a dream. PSP emulation hasnt happened but still a possibility.

7. Only does 386 type games. So, I take this to mean no Baldur's Gate? In fact, I'm to assume that most late 1990's computer games will never happen.

8. Can play mp3's no problem.

9. Can watch movies no problem.

10. (Question) Can you use the usb to plug a DVD player into it and watch a movie?

11. (Question) Although unlikely. Could a linux MMO be created for this?

12. (Question) What else can this do besides game emulation, video player, audio player, and web surfing, perhaps it's easier to ask what CANT it do? To me it's a mini-computer meant to be my perfect "Handheld Retro EMU/ROM Player" I'm just looking for someone else to broaden my horizons.

That's all I got off the top of my head. I realize some of the stuff has been beat to death, and some of the stuff asked is very noobish. I assure you I've been doing countless hours of reading and research, but these boards are extremely active and comprehensive. I'm still reading/learning everyday.

Chris

1. Pandora's price in USD is roughly $300. Premium is roughly $500.
2. Only places to buy is E-Bay (or similar), OP Forums, or by luck through Sales@Pandora.

3. Can emulate GB/Nes/MS through SNES/GBA/MAME/NeoGeo near flawlessly.

4. Can emulate PS1 extremely well at this time. With a few exceptions, sound and frame rate no longer a problem.

5. N64 emulation still tricky, but great progress has been made, and now many N64 games run without sound/framerate isues.

6. DC, Saturn, 3DO, and NDS emulation still a dream. PSP emulation hasnt happened but still a possibility.

7. Only does 386 type games. So, I take this to mean no Baldur's Gate? In fact, I'm to assume that most late 1990's computer games will never happen.

8. Can play mp3's no problem.

9. Can watch movies no problem.

10. (Question) Can you use the usb to plug a DVD player into it and watch a movie?

11. (Question) Although unlikely. Could a linux MMO be created for this?

12. (Question) What else can this do besides game emulation, video player, audio player, and web surfing, perhaps it's easier to ask what CANT it do? To me it's a mini-computer meant to be my perfect "Handheld Retro EMU/ROM Player" I'm just looking for someone else to broaden my horizons.
1. True, but as it stands Premium is the only price there is, as there is actually no other option.

2. True

3. True

4. True

5. True

6. True, although as we speak...SS has been publicly tested quite a bit now.

7. I don't know, sorry.

8. True

Last edited by a moderator:
Baldur's Gate actually has a native port through GemRB. As for 9 and on...

9. Yes, assuming the quality isn't too high (we can't use the DSP yet, that's why)

10. Theoretically, but you're still bound by the system's limits. I dunno if actual DVD software exists.

11. Technically, yes. Actually, one already exists (The Mana World), but I haven't gotten it running.

12. Depends. What are YOU capable of? :)

Agree or disagree with the mission, I won't go there; but thank you for taking risks so others do not have to.

If you get your Pandora, be sure to take a picture of it beside one of those giant Afghan spiders ;)

jeff

Dosbox is pretty capable for the early games; say about 1993 maybe 1994, for many games, or earlier. ie: Master of MAgic okay. But not Starcraft (Win95 based) ;) Warcraft 1 is okay, WC2 is pseudo playable (I don't mind it, I even jacked in a mouse and it was okay), though WC1 has a 'native port' these days. But you get the idea.

Other uses.. well, its a decent Office type device (Open Office and others). I use it for remote desktop and remote shell type uber nerd uses. IRC for chit chat, jabber and so on for chit chat, other random net uses.

I code on the thing of course .. its a mini-netbook.

To clarify the "386-type games" bit, there's a flowchart describing what can and cannot be ported to the Pandora. One of the questions is if it can run on a Pentium (or was it Pentium-II? Pentium Pro?) with 128MB of memory. That question is not a fair indication of the Pandora's capabilities, but it is a fair indication of what things will be easy to port. None of the software I've seen uses the Pandora to its full potential, but it's doing all right. The issue is not usually computation power, but manpower. If you actually want to run games only ever written for the PC and not ported, then you'd need emulation, and with that you're indeed unlikely to do better than a 386.

I just wanted to add, in the "what else can it do?" department, the little-discussed fact that you can put a compiler and tons of developer tools onboard and use it to make your own games, apps, software .. whatever.

So while you're sitting out there wondering why the hell you're bombing those people instead of building schools, drinking-water plants, hospitals, roads and so on, you could sit with your Pandora and write some amazing code ..

ckblackm: I guess not, but neither is 'our' presence in Afghanistan.

Relax. If we're gonna get mad at anyone, we're gonna get mad at the people who sent him there. I do NOT agree with why you're probably there, but I admire your courage. Remember, when you boil it down, the enemy (at least the ones you'll be fighting) is probably just like you; a young guy with a future who decided to stand up for a cause in one of the most risky ways possible.

^ Yeah, that. ;) I don't think there's any need to get political in here, chaps.

tl;dr version: 1. OP Community praise, 2. Response about Afghanistan, 3. PSP vs. Pandora

1. In regards to this amazing community, and the official Open Pandora boards:

Thank you so much for the replies. I'm active in other forums for years now, mostly MMO forums, or over at Gamefaqs.

These forums have huge communities, but the activity (and more amazingly the bond) that OP has is amazing. This "little Pandora thing" that even your average gamer, and many hardcore gamers dont even know about, has more activity than IGN, VN, and Gamefaqs boards at times. I tell you what, OP has a good team, especially ED, but you guys definitely keep them honest. If you were constantly coming here flaming, and had a "us (consumer) vs. them (the company who is oblige to give us whatever we want)" then maybe the Pandora team would start to not care as much, or slowly justify all the shipping and production issues. You know, they'd get defensive, or pissed.

But nope, you guys are so damn loyal to them that their is no way they could NOT feel obligated to see everything through. That's good (and alot of pressure on the Pandora team).

2. In regards to Afghanistan/Military:

I almost feel as though I shouldnt have even let it slip. Nor would I ever want it to become a focus of a thread from me. All I have to say in regards to the strong opinions posted above is that, I'm sure some see feel as though being a part of the military somehow means you completely agree and represent everything it stands for and all decision the organization (and it's political leaders or the President himself) make. And I see that point, which is fine. I do follow orders without question, I'm a fine soldier. So in that sense, I...well....do support everything the military does, at least by my actions.

But! I'm a Father and Dad first. I joined the military as an Air Traffic Controller, and I knew this would give me good stable income that my family could depend on me for. There are many stereotypes of different computer/techno-nerds out there. I fall into that category of "extremely geeky, nerdy, and aced school (AP/IB classes) and then finished high school and procrastined college and flunked out of courses because I was busy playing my "chipped" ps1 and it's bazillion copies of games, my N64 with that Korean Z64 Cartridge copier attached, building a homemade MAME arcade cabinet with wood and computer (like those DIY websites that were really big 10 years ago), and falling into the trap of Everquest 1....this was all in my 17-23 years from 1997-2003.

Long story, cut a little shorter? All I ever did was work my 40 hr a week job so that I could buy more nerdy gadgets and games. (Along with my best buds and roommates).

This led to a "oh crap, I need to buckle down, get serious and catch-up in life" feeling that led to joining the military. A decision I don't regret at all. I now have the money to support my family and buy expensive toys like a Pandora.

That being said? How do I really feel? I've never been one to think America should police the whole world the way we do, including destroying, and then rebuilding those same countries as a routine thing.

That's about as political as you'll see me get, but it was hard to ignore the comments. -- Rather keep this Pandora/Emu focused!

3. Now nobody fry me on this next challenge/debate/question, but I already admitted to being a handheld-aholic. When my bid on E-Bay for a Pandora got outbid yesterday, I told the Wife to hold up before going full steam in a bidding war. I had researched and learned that now the PSP 3000 could be hacked. (I had already traded in my PSP 1000) -- So since I was planning to trade it in for a PS Vita soon anyway, I went ahead and messed around with it.

24 Hours later, I now have CFW 6.20 PRO-B8 installed and enjoyed some Super Mario All-Stars and Axelay from my SNES Emu this morning.

I also did a bit of searching on what all the PSP could emulate, and have learned that (Right now anyway) the PSP is ALMOST right there with the Pandora.

In fact, my research suggests (until I fully test everything myself) that the PSP can (not surprisingly) emulate 8-bit-16-bit JUST as good as the Pandora.

Also, although the N64 emulation seems to be behind the PSP, the PSX emulation is better (due to having the Sony built-in emulator advantage), and Saturn emulation and DS emulation are about the same place (if not slightly ahead) of the Pandora.

Now two other things, we know the Pandora is stronger than the PSP, and we know that if production from the emu/software developers ever turn it up a notch (not complaining Ari, Exo, Notaz, etc) that things may change, -- but right now can, what all can the Pandora do that a PSP cannot, in reference strictly to Emu/Roms?

Seriously, right now, aside from the obvious hardware advantages (faster computer, more ram, dual nubs, better screen)...what can the Pandora emulate (to a level of playability) that the PSP cannot?

Lastly, please revert to #1 before throwing any tomatoes this direction, nothing but mad respect for OP Team, the sexy gadget itself, and this great community here.

Thanks,

Chris

I can't vouch for a PSP's emulation capabilities, but I think you'll definitely find yourself using the Pandora's PC capabilities. I know I do.

You're a well-written individual. I like you.

But in response to your #3, why would you limit yourself to emulators and ROMs? I'm not much for emulators myself; I'm here for 1) a pocketable computer, and 2) homebrew/indie gaming. Maybe you have no need for general computation, but I find it hard to believe that you would enjoy a bevy of emulators, yet ignore a bevy of games made just for our little scene. If you're really only interested in playing console classics, then maybe a PSP would suffice. But if you'd like to expand your gaming horizons, you might want to stick around. You might even wind up making games yourself.

Thanks Tempel.

You have no idea how many times I've set down with various programming books and languages and considered jumping into programming. I don't have the patience to stick with something like that however.

I'm still intrigued very much so with the Pandora (and I'm really hoping they make a Pandora 2).

As for the pocket computer part. Aside from console emulation, what initially intrigues me would be having the freedom to play handheld vesions of TES, Baldur's Gate, or Dragon Age series. But some of those requests need a "Pandora 3" to ever be a reality I'd imagine. Also, half me thinks I would jump on the opportunity to play EQ, WoW, DAoC, orr FFXI etc, as my very first handheld mmo. The other half of me wonders how would I ever arrange all those menus, windows, and boxes (associated with the MMO ui's) on such a little screen. So perhaps never feasible.

Although I'm a big Powerpoint, Excel, and Access user. Along with using a netbook for a variety of other college-related tasks, I have a netbook. A Toshiba NB205 that I'm in love with. I can't see myself ever fully using Pandora (even with OpenOffice) as some type of administrative device simply because of the small keyboard. I have a Blackberry as well, so it's safe to say that between the Netbook, and the Blackberry... the Pandora's computer side is somewhat covered. (I think that's safe to say?)

Dont think for second however that I'm downplaying the Pandora. I'm just simply trying to justify the purchase as a Must-have that makes sense. You have to remember, between the gadgets I already have, Ipod, blackberry, netbook, psp, and other stuff. That I just recently bought a 3DS (oh man I should have waited), saving for a first-day purchase of a PSVita, and want to build my next gaming right in preparation for the recently announced "Everquest Next" (Everquest 3).

All that translates into $$$$ that although my Wife gives me no trouble, I gotta be able to justify another $500 purchase. At least to myself. Right now, in it's current state, I see the PSP as something that I already had, did not have to buy a special battery, and for about 12 hours of my time, and Zero cost, could have a "poor-man's Pandora".

Now, if a Pandora 2 came out OR emulation/software development turned up a notch on the Pandora and it was starting to get pushed to its limits, then I'd have to consider this a must-have.

By the time however a Pandora 2 comes out (and I sure as hell hope the Pandora Team sees nothing but success in the future years), one has to wonder where the PS Vita will be in emulation terms. Just think, PS Vita hacked, it wont take it THAT long, and it'll be able to play everything up to a Wii/anything before a 360/PS3.

Man, I get excited about this stuff just considering the future.

Thanks,

Chris

As for things to do, I would say, creating your own TV out cable. Once you have that, you can connect wireless controllers to your pandora and have a portable emu machine that can be hooked up on the go. (This is not an easy task, getting the connector can be difficult and need to be really good with a soldering iron, which is beyond my skills.)

Other random pie in the sky ideas,

reading a book

Playing games that have been directly ported (if you have the original source files) or open source (Dink Smallwood, Xcom, Albion immediately come to mind)

SCUMM VM (and I believe there is a way to play Grim Fantango as well, but haven't tried it yet)

car mp3 player with a large music collection

podcatcher

The pandora has a mic (and the ability to take an external mic) so could try recording something (another thing I haven't tried)

Office applications

Organizer (though really need the suspend to sd card for this which doesn't exist yet)

That's all I got.

Oh, and keep in mind you have to buy SD cards. Thank you for your service, it is greatly appreciated!

Pandora has a keyboard .. Amiga, C64/etc, ST, PC ... Big win over psp there (and I've written emus for every device outthere including psp :)

PSP is great kit.. Pandora is a little netbook and has game controls.. The form factor is the trick. All controls..

A umpc may be cool for you as well.. Crappy conttols but with x86 ewuivilent cpu is highly compatible..

Jeff on phone

Back