Pandora Keyboard Layout

Do you want the Menu key to be labelled with the Pandora logo?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Care

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
beljam said:
Given all the other advantages of the Pandora, is the placement of two keys really a make it or break it proposition?

That's a good point. I don't think it's a deal breaker for most of people. My vote-crazy mind just thought about such poll:

Will you still buy Pandora, even if it has different keyboard than you wanted?
- yes
- no

Last edited by a moderator:
so many polls! :eek:

my answer to that one will be yes. even if it came with a dvorak or azerty layout, i'd just adapt. two buttons are not a deal breaker. i'll just be happy to have it in my hands. the keys can be labeled in Klingon for all i care. :rolleyes:

cosurgi said:
beljam said:
Given all the other advantages of the Pandora, is the placement of two keys really a make it or break it proposition?

That's a good point. I don't think it's a deal breaker for most of people. My vote-crazy mind just thought about such poll:

Will you still buy Pandora, even if it has different keyboard than you wanted?
- yes
- no

too many polls (although the ones so far have been useful, i don't think we need another). This thread is one where that last question can be discussed i think. I think both designs are fantastic and if either were the standard it won't be a deal maker/breaker for me.

Two separate keyboards is just silly and useless. Seeing as it was only clearly defined until later in the thread what the main difference between the two keyboards are, I think we should have a good 'ol fashioned Florida re-count. :p

A new poll devoid of layouts or names, just the simple question of "would you rather have a period and a comma or Alt and Ctrl printed as physical buttons on the keyboard?" That's much more straightforward, and would get us the most accurate results. Should Cosurgi's layout remain the most popular, we've got ourselves a winner, but if there's any major disparities as to which layout is preferred from a new vote, then I think we should reconsider.

Bump.

Also, I'd like to thank cosurgi for listening to my suggestion in the prior thread and moving the "-" key to the main keyboard. The two designs are moving closer and closer together into some kind of consensus.

I still voted for Kagato's, but I would be quite happy with cosurgi's also, particularly with the option to switch modes.

Both are better than the original design.

cosurgi said:
AireTamStorm said:
So what happens when one keyboard version runs out, and you have a bunch of people waiting for it to come back in stock? Thats a nightmare, right there.

Of course it has to be dealt with prudently. Eg. stating clearly on the pre-order (info) page that no more units with particular keyboard are available (which would have the same effect as if devs simply made a decision to only make one version - which is the current alternative). But hey, it was just a small suggestion. I'd rather hear their answer than discuss this ad-infinitum among us as it has less and less sense now. Craig? MWeston?

making two types of Pandora is a small suggestion? no one in their right mind would even consider it. Stop trying to get the devs to acknowledge this request. It's just as bad as the people who ask the devs to make a Pandora without the keyboard. It ain't gonna happen.

With all this talk of the votes being so close and possibilities of making 1500 of one and 1500 of the other, the solution is simple:

use cosurgi's alternative keyboard, which can be set up either way.

That way everyone can be happy.

White Demon said:
With all this talk of the votes being so close and possibilities of making 1500 of one and 1500 of the other, the solution is simple:

use cosurgi's alternative keyboard, which can be set up either way.

That way everyone can be happy.
Heheh. Thanks, I like your idea :)

I'd favour the "Alt, Ctrl on shoulders" one, but remove the €, £, ¥. I mean, come on. I had to type two of them with Alt+NumPad. It would be enough to put them on AltGr combinations like ß: AltGr+E = €, AltGr+P (or L?) = £, AltGr+Y = ¥.

Instead, there could be other functions: Ins (because I keep reading Shift+Backspace must be free), Toggle Bluetooth (the other one would be WiFi?), and most important: the self-destruct button! (Actually I have no really good idea for a third one but someone will have).

A question to devs:
Have you decided upon keyboard layout? Which one do you like the most? I mean democracy is good and we've already had 2 keyboard polls and some what even more but I think it's high time for devs to say an official word. The first batch should soon go to production line, so you must have something to say on the topic. :)

Umm... hold on a second... I can't believe I didn't notice this until now. Silly me.

In Kagato's design, the "," and "." buttons also serve as the "<" and ">" buttons, and they also have secondary "Fn" functions. So each key has three functions. How exactly does that work?

Never mind, stupid question. The "shift" button of course. :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Bump.

Heh, strange, the difference now reaches about 10% :) Maybe there was something after all in the second question of previous poll (which said that 70% of people want ctr,alt on keyboard).

previous poll is here: 26.90% for L/R on shoulders, 73.1% for ctrl,alt on keyboard.

ashdjones said:
Is this an official poll yet? Why is the £ symbol relegated to a obscure function?

Because there's only 40 odd keys and something has to be relegated.
Because we are a small nation amongst many, so our currency is irrelevant to most users. There are various ways of mapping such things if needs be. It's a shame there isn't a generic 'Currency' symbol, so that one space on the keyboard was printed with currency and local settings would map the appropriate symbol.

TaG said:
ashdjones said:
Is this an official poll yet? Why is the £ symbol relegated to a obscure function?

Because there's only 40 odd keys and something has to be relegated.
Because we are a small nation amongst many, so our currency is irrelevant to most users. There are various ways of mapping such things if needs be. It's a shame there isn't a generic 'Currency' symbol, so that one space on the keyboard was printed with currency and local settings would map the appropriate symbol.
It's not irrelevant to me! I vote for multipurpose currency key too.

cosurgi said:
Maybe there was something after all in the second question of previous poll (which said that 70% of people want ctr,alt on keyboard).

This is a well-known tactic used to skew the results a certain way - ask people if they support lower taxes, and they'll say "sure!". Ask them if they support reductions in services, and they'll say "no way!".

Same thing with that poll question. It was asking whether people wanted "ctrl"/"alt" on the keyboard, but did not mention that the price of that would be leaving out the "," and "." keys. That's likely why the "yes" vote was so high.

Esn said:
cosurgi said:
Maybe there was something after all in the second question of previous poll (which said that 70% of people want ctr,alt on keyboard).

This is a well-known tactic used to skew the results a certain way - ask people if they support lower taxes, and they'll say "sure!". Ask them if they support reductions in services, and they'll say "no way!".

Same thing with that poll question. It was asking whether people wanted "ctrl"/"alt" on the keyboard, but did not mention that the price of that would be leaving out the "," and "." keys. That's likely why the "yes" vote was so high.
I'll admit to falling prey to that lack of detail.

"." and "," keys are kinda essential; if "ctrl" and "alt" must be on the shoulder buttons for "." and "," to be on the face, then I'm for it.

kidrdbz said:
Esn said:

I'll admit to falling prey to that lack of detail.

"." and "," keys are kinda essential; if "ctrl" and "alt" must be on the shoulder buttons for "." and "," to be on the face, then I'm for it.
I'm very sorry for that. But until the end - it wasn't well apparent what really is most disturbing here. Now it's pretty clear that it's the ","/"." conflict.... I really took the effort to discuss (page 11, bottom) with everyone involved how this poll should look like. Even the previous poll was carefully prepared here. And the text of poll questions wasn't formed solely by me. I took every suggestion and modified the questions accordingly. Unfortunately nobody before suggested a question that emphasised ","/"." conflict. That's because in all that older discussion we were focusing on Alt,Ctrl - this is why they are in the question.

At least option c in 2nd question is "I prefer Alt, Ctrl as two buttons on bottom left ( <, and >. in original layout)." But that information was rather extraneous (as I perceived it) - I included it only for clarity. I didn't anticipate that it will become the most conflicting issue later....

Anyway - it's too late already, for anything :)

EDIT: dunno why, but I can't fix the first link... weird

cosurgi said:
:blink:
HE KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT THE KEYBOARD! GET HIM!

WizardStan said:
cosurgi said:

:blink:
HE KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT THE KEYBOARD! GET HIM!
aaaaaaa (runs away screaming)

Not really. I know only what is obvious - the time has just ran out, today with the first newsletter email.

Isn't it time, Craig, to tell everyone what keyboard decision have you made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back