Pandora Keyboard Layout

Do you want the Menu key to be labelled with the Pandora logo?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Care

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Take your time before you make a decision.

Cosurgi - Alt, Ctrl on the keyboard

cosurgi_final.png

SVG source

Plain view - without non-printed labels
(for easier judging of the layout)
cosurgi_final_plain.png

Alternative proposal for devs to take into consideration
(not a part of the poll - a merged proposal):
cosurgi_final_merged.png

SVG source

Kagato - Alt, Ctrl on shoulders

pandora_keyboard.png

SVG source

Plain view - without non-printed labels
(for easier judging of the layout)
pandora_keyboard_plain.png

Alternative proposal for devs to take into consideration
(not a part of the poll - punctuation is optimised for typing, but more far away from its standard location):
pandora_keyboard_v2_plain.png

EDIT (2 days before pre-order):

Also see other recent layout variants, quite interesting too. If you still don't know which one to use (Craigx and MWeston), here are more choices for you.

Cosurgi's:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=641110
Kagato's:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=640601
Greendots':
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=640451
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=654047

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not completely satisfied with any of the current designs (that doesn't mean they're bad, and I doubt I could do better), but I understand is very hard to accomodate all that functions in such a small keyboard.

So I will accept the most voted layout, no problem. I'm sure I will get used to the elected layout. :)

I voted for CTRL ALT on shoulders because I use "." and "," a lot more often, and don't want to have to press function every time to do so.
Though either way I don't really care, I'll get used to whichever.

It would be nice if we had the ability to swap the left and right click buttons (assuming they are on the shoulders). This way you could have the mouse movement and primary click being done with the same hand, and would allow you to use the Pandora with one-hand in certain situations.

This could probably be done with a simple:

CODE
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

I'm not suggesting changing *any* layouts, and hope this comment doesn't spawn any more polls. ;)

Kagatos layout seems alot more structured than the cosurgi layout. Personally I think that "." and "," are the most common used keys on the keyboard, and WhatPulse proves this for me, I use "." and "," about 10 times as often as I use either ctrl or alt..
Another thing are the useless features like mouse emulation on the cosurgi keyboard imo

btw: The 2 fn-functions from "Menu" and "Select" should be on "Select" and "Start" because the pandora/menu button is just for the OS and it should only have one special meaning. It doesn't need a 2nd function

emil10001 said:
It would be nice if we had the ability to swap the left and right click buttons (assuming they are on the shoulders).
You'll have the ability to swap the function of any button (except I think the menu button, which is connected to an interrupt, though I could be mistaken)
The poll is just for the layout printed on the keys, and the default layout in software. We've been told we'll have the ability to remap any and every key stroke to some other button.
I've been advocating nail polish remover and a sharpie if you're not happy with the final outcome, but these actually look pretty clean. My vote is on Kagato since I'm likely to use the stylus as my mouse, not the analogues, and more likely to use , and . over ctrl and alt anyway.

JayFoxRox said:
Another thing are the useless features like mouse emulation on the cosurgi keyboard imo
Don't forget that Kagato has mouse emulation also :) It's in printed in green, and toggled with Fn+8.

In my design this just says that kdrive will be configured to use joysticks (analog sticks) as mouse. This can be done also with a usual Xorg X server, provided that you have a joystick. So it's not really a mouse emulation, it's just a proposed X server configuration. The device is seen by linux as a normal analog joystick.

ati said:
I want to vote for alternative layout of cosurgi.
Then you need to vote for my proposal. And ask the devs to print that extra "," and "." because this is really the only PRINTED modification on keyboard (which is rather a cosmetic change). All the functionality proposed there is provided by the software.

So the only thing to get this to work is to provide such keyboard mapping for Fn+Start to switch into the alternative solution. This can be a bit more difficult to implement in the keyboard drivers (and will take more time to get it to work). So I think that it could be done later with a firmware update after the initial release.

Maybe I should have added a vote option like this:

If cosurgi layout wins, do you want the alternative layout (print "," and "." beside Alt, Ctrl)?
- yes
- no

I don't know if moderators can add more questions to the poll. It is possible that people who voted for Kagato design wouldn't want it, because it makes things too complicated.... Ech... the decision is up to the devs. It will be a hard decision for them.

To any moderator here - can you add another question to the poll?
(or maybe it's already too late I don't know)
EDIT: (or maybe I'm overreacting, I don't know also)

I'm sorry, but how is it practical to have to use a button combination or function keys to use PERIODS and COMMAS, the two most common forms of punctuation in the entire freakin' English language?

Sorry, if this had been asked previously. I did a search for 'Keys lock' and didn't find any.

Are there plans to lock the shoulder keys when the case is closed while listening to music?

I can see occasions where I would like the shoulder keys to perform Prev & Next track operations while other times they will be locked.

I like the idea of ALT & CTRL on the shoulders, but I worry that they will be accidentally pressed when they are in my pocket if there is no Keys Lock.

I use the internet and I care about punctuation.
I signed up here just to put in my support for CTRL and ALT on the shoulders.

_VWV_ said:
Do you guys think it'll be easy to press ctrl+shift+c on Kagato's layout? I like this variant but bash usability is slightly important for me :) .
As I understand the software (pieced together from snippets of other threads) the keys will have sticky-key functionality. That is, you can press and hold each key to produce a key combo (such as ctrl+shift+c) or you can press and release each one, which then modifies the next function. I can see this being no problem for regular keys, such as hitting shift, and then 'c' for an uppercase C, but it'll be interesting to see how it works with multi-key combos like you mention.
If ctrl is on the shoulder buttons though, it's not a problem. You can easily press and hold the ctrl shoulder button, then click/release the shift, then hit 'c', all with the ctrl key still pressed.

I had initially voted for cosurgi's layout but after thinking about how much i'll use periods and commas I have decided to go with kagatos. I do think i'd prefer to have cosurgi's layout for the mouse scroll/mouse movement as left analog/right analog respectively but it's not a show stopper or anything.

prairiefire said:
I had initially voted for cosurgi's layout but after thinking about how much i'll use periods and commas I have decided to go with kagatos. I do think i'd prefer to have cosurgi's layout for the mouse scroll/mouse movement as left analog/right analog respectively but it's not a show stopper or anything.
You should be able to map those features to Kagato's layout, too. The poll is just to decide what's printed on the keys, not necessarily the function of the unprinted keys. I imagine the unprinted keys would be the default mapping, but you should be able to change it anyway.

I was not able to vote because I have to answer both questions.
#1 i dont care.
#2 neither.

Im still very opposed to both layouts not being near qwerty. Im still opposed to having no punctuation keys.

yes keys can be locked in software OpenTheBox.

I still dont understand why we would have another poll. We never had any confirmation on anything that happened in that thread although I asked several times.

sigh........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back