Pandora Keyboard Layout

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
Does there exist an image somewhere of the final Pandora keyboard layout, something like this? I think it would be a nice thing to add to the wiki as a reference.

A few things I did find:
http://pandorawiki.org/Keyboard_remapping#Standard_XFCE_Keyboard_Layout
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/PandoraFront.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
Does there exist an image somewhere of the final Pandora keyboard layout, something like this? I think it would be a nice thing to add to the wiki as a reference.

A few things I did find:

Do you need just a pic of the layout or an open .svg?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Esn said:

A few things I did find:

Do you need just a pic of the layout or an open .svg?
Well, just something to place on the Pandorawiki, really. So a pic, I guess? I've never really used svgs, to be honest.

Esn said:
Cosurgi gave me one when I asked him for it. What with one thing and another, I haven't gotten around to adding it to the wiki article yet.

http://geo.hmg.inpg.fr/~janek/pan/printed_layout.svg

open with inkscape.

Only LR buttons have different label, than real Pandora. Easy to fix.

the layout is the same but the labelling isn't exactly as it is on the real thing. i'll see if i can fix that.

While on the topic of the keyboard, is there really no F11 key? I just wanted an easy way to full screen besides going to the menu.

ant said:
Esn said:
Cosurgi gave me one when I asked him for it. What with one thing and another, I haven't gotten around to adding it to the wiki article yet.

http://geo.hmg.inpg.fr/~janek/pan/printed_layout.svg

open with inkscape.

Only LR buttons have different label, than real Pandora. Easy to fix.

the layout is the same but the labelling isn't exactly as it is on the real thing. i'll see if i can fix that.

If you can, make sure to add the different functions that XFCE assigns them by default:
http://pandorawiki.org/Keyboard
i.e. A=Home, B=End, Y=PgUp, X=PgDn
R-Nub: Mousebutton Mode (L=L mousebutton click, U=Double-L-click, R=R mousebutton click, D=Middle mousebutton click)

Although I think that the default assignments for A and B are really illogical... who the hell ever uses the Home and End keys? It would be much better if they were assigned to left & right mousebuttons...

Esn said:
Although I think that the default assignments for A and B are really illogical... who the hell ever uses the Home and End keys? It would be much better if they were assigned to left & right mousebuttons...

anyone that feels like editing text on the pandora, and moving the cursor without using the touchscreen

darfgarf said:
Esn said:
anyone that feels like editing text on the pandora, and moving the cursor without using the touchscreen
+1
I used to use them quite often.

darfgarf said:
Esn said:

To be honest, I'd rather have those be mapped to the stylus and the mouseclicks to the face buttons.

I find pressing a button to be much more comfortable than constantly moving my thumb to the left on the stylus, which often isn't very accurate or doesn't register or double-clicks when I only meant to click once.

Esn said:
Me. All the time. I use the nubs for mousing, and it would be tremendously inconvenient to have to use a stylus to do something relating to using the keyboard functions (the button assignments are VERY logical, accordingly :p).

Prometheus said:
Esn said:
Me. All the time. I use the nubs for mousing, and it would be tremendously inconvenient to have to use a stylus to do something relating to using the keyboard functions (the button assignments are VERY logical, accordingly :p ).
Both the mouse buttons and the home/end keys involve pressing BUTTONS, so using a stylus nub for either one is equally illogical.

I happen to use left/right mouse clicks more often than I do the Home/End buttons, and because I find pressing the face keys to be more comfortable than flicking the stylus, I would therefore prefer the mouseclicks to be on the face buttons.

Esn: a stylus is very different from a nub :p

I'm not really sure what arrangement I prefer, but realize that changing assignments for the face buttons could break existing software. When I ported BubbMan 2, I made the controls use PageUp/PageDown/Home/End, just because it was easier than accessing the face buttons as a gamepad. I should certainly fix that, but that can't be the only piece of software using this workaround.

Mouse? Stylus? I do everything from the keyboard. :p The Home/End keys are godsend for typing.

Tempel said:
Esn: a stylus is very different from a nub :p
Oops, fixed.

I'm not really sure what arrangement I prefer, but realize that changing assignments for the face buttons could break existing software. When I ported BubbMan 2, I made the controls use PageUp/PageDown/Home/End, just because it was easier than accessing the face buttons as a gamepad. I should certainly fix that, but that can't be the only piece of software using this workaround.
Frogatto does the same thing, I've noticed. Is that why so much software for Pandora just uses the regular keyboard keys like "enter", "space" and "ctrl", which are awkward to reach? Because it's harder to access the game buttons?

Well, that just means that if I do get around to changing the default (I'd really like to, but I'm not sure how to at the moment), there'll need to be some quick way for me to change the setting back to default for the software that assumes default is used.

This would actually be a really useful feature to add to the OS... simple key re-assignment would make the Pandora a much better experience as it would make accessible a whole lot of programs that have badly-assigned keys. For example, DOSBox.

Esn said:
Tempel said:
Frogatto does the same thing, I've noticed. Is that why so much software for Pandora just uses the regular keyboard keys like "enter", "space" and "ctrl", which are awkward to reach? Because it's harder to access the game buttons?
No, that's probably just porters not getting around to it. It's easy to access PgUp/PgDn/Home/End, and get proper controls that way. It's probably not hard to access them as game buttons instead of keyboard keys, I just didn't know how to do it right away, so I took the workaround route instead. Fixing it is a low priority for now.

Esn said:
Well, that just means that if I do get around to changing the default (I'd really like to, but I'm not sure how to at the moment), there'll need to be some quick way for me to change the setting back to default for the software that assumes default is used.
There's actually some discussion on this on the other forums. Jey made a hackish, hard-to-use solution, but making your needs known gives skeezix motivation to make changes.

Esn said:
This would actually be a really useful feature to add to the OS... simple key re-assignment would make the Pandora a much better experience as it would make accessible a whole lot of programs that have badly-assigned keys. For example, DOSBox.
I hadn't realized, but that's probably a clever quick-fix to those poorly-mapped games you mentioned. More reason to convince skeezix to make this easy to do.

Back