pandian - MARK2

release of first pnd support:

install it with: apt-get install pnd-bin

or use synaptic under section pandora

whats working:

• start pnd with pnd_run
  • pnd_info
whats not working ( yet ):

• pndnotifyd crash when an app is in pandora/desktop ( pndnotifyd is in this package but not active )
  • *.desktop files of pnds with fluxbox
feel free to test :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update pandian:

apt-get install pandian-full

( this package should make the update process more uncomplicated )
After updating USBHostTrigger resulted in modprobe: ERROR: ///libkmod/libkmod.c:556 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file  /lib/modules/3.2.45/modules.dep.bin.

and touchscreen isn't working anymore 

OK, did a full install instead of an update. That worked, update probably broke some stuff.

Maybe useful for others. I used kpartx to be able to mount the image file (pandian download from the wiki) in Ubuntu (other methods don't work because the image contains 2 partitions.

http://robert.penz.name/73/kpartx-a-tool-for-mounting-partitions-within-an-image-file/

Then copied all the data from PDROOT to the sd card with the old image - I overwrote all old directories / files.

Could be helpful for folks having issues writing the image with dd or if you don't need all data. I think it would be nice if it was provided too, but at least with this method it is possible to extract the data from the image. 

Hi all,

I've just installed Pandian 2 for the first time. Is there a way to right click using the stylus?

Hello,

(first sorry for any english mistakes, it's not my native language)

I'm a new happy owner of a Pandora Rebirth and a new happy user of pandian.

However i'm experiencing some issues with my pandy running pandian  (first this one then i will tell you the others :) :

- Since pandian-full update i lost some kernel crypto modules and cryptsetup is not able anymore to mount device mapper with '--cipher aes-xts-plain' option

also :

'cat /proc/crypto' confirm this fact (xts option absent)

'modprobe xts' failed (not found)

xts.ko is not present in  /lib/modules/[...]/kernel/crypto/ anymore

I've tried to copy xts.ko into that directory from a save made before the update but with no succes (no change)

'aptitude install linux-image-armmp' doesn't improve the issue

#cryptsetup -v create vol /dev/loop1 --cipher aes-xts-plain -s 512

device-mapper: reload ioctl on  failed: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type (traduction : no such file or directory)

I could see this in dmesg:

device-mapper: table: 254:0: crypt: Error allocating crypto tfm

device-mapper: table: ioctl: error adding target to table

Using cryptsetup with default setting (no --cipher option) works.

So i guess that i need to add the xts module somehow but lack some knowledge about how to do that (in my present case).

By the way i made the source.liste files point to testing instead of unstable. Althought i haven't dare to proceed a full system upgrade yet since the install of pandian.

Any help/hint would be much appreciated because i've no idea what to do now. :)

Eventually i managed to come back to a fully working cryptsetup downgrading linux-pandian to 0.2-0...

Apologies if I am breaking etiquette.  I have not read through the fifteen pages, but am posting anyway:

I just downloaded mark 2 and am starting to explore.

In my first try, with a 32 gig card, I copied the image onto the card, then expanded the partition to the entire 32 gig card.  ... and the card was not recognized at boot.  Second try:  copy image but don't expand partition:  it works.  Is there a limit on partition size?  Or perhaps there is something I missed when enlarging the partition.  ?

For some reason I had a hard time accessing a root shell.  Perhaps I messed up with a root password on setup, don't know.  The fix was to put the card into my laptop, then edit both "/Mycard/etc/shadow" and "/Mycard/etc/shadow-" so that the password entry was empty (nothing between the colons).  Not sure if this fix will cause problems later.  This is the first time I have seen "/etc/shadow-".  I don't understand why there are both shadow and shadow-.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but maybe something went wrong while copying the image to the SD card. I have this kernel bug on my laptop which corrupts SD cards, which lead to similar issues. My solution was to use another computer.

I don't understand.  After taking the asterisk out of the root password slot in the /etc/shadow files I can log in as root from the initial login prompt.  However If I log in as a normal user and then attempt to su into a root shell, I cannot.  Is there a way to disable this feature of pandian?

Now I get it!

That's a bug (maybe a feature) when you install Pandian. There is the wrong keyboard layout chosen (it's set to German on this American keyboard). The easiest way to solve this issue is to reinstall Pandian and choose a password only containing numbers and letters (no underscores).

After a system update, this bug is gone and you can change your password.

Hello

I'm a new pandora rebirth user and the first thing i did was installing pandian on it. Thanks for making pandian.

I'm still tweaking the system and mostly it is running fine. Though there are some issues. The major one being that it won't go into low power mode.

Running "pdcmd lowPowerTrigger" seems to stop "halfway" through the script. WLAN is turned of, but the screen stays on. The mouse freezes most times, sometimes I can move it around. Sometimes I'm able to "wake" the pandora by switching the powerswitch left, sometimes it will shut down, switching the powerswitch right, Sometimes I have to remove the battery because it seems completely frozen.

Any hints or advice to debug this?

Now I get it!

That's a bug (maybe a feature) when you install Pandian. There is the wrong keyboard layout chosen (it's set to German on this American keyboard). The easiest way to solve this issue is to reinstall Pandian and choose a password only containing numbers and letters (no underscores).

After a system update, this bug is gone and you can change your password.
Thanks.  That seems to be it.  I've got normal root access now.

Is Pandian broken at the moment? I've just installed it twice via dd to my SD card. Upon entering the DE I run an apt-get update

Then install software I need via terminal (icedove,enigmail, opengp) and then I restart and then when I try to logon it just crashes at login.. :/

Exquist: make sure you resize your SD-card, i recon all the updates amount to more than the 2GB partition can hold.

This is the issue

Python-sypport 1.0.15  ----

/var/cache/apt/archives/pmount_0.9.23- 3_armhf.deb   GDBUS.error.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.PermissionsInvalid: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct

Trying to overwrite /etc/pmount.allow which also exists in the package pandian 0.2-0

a bit of 'apt-get install --fix-missing' 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'apt-get autoremove' and its all up to date.

Some pandian apps wont install, and the nubs stopped working.

I just had a rather violent encounter with Debian On SD and stumbled on Pandian while researching the trouble I had. Tried it, and - works! That's nice! Thanks for the effort! This will become really valuable I believe. I'd also throw my vote for using "testing" as a base distro. "experimental" breaks too often and the Debian description "... can be dangerous and harmful even for the most experienced people" rings very true in my experience. (it's not sid, btw, sid is "unstable".) stable, on the other hand, is sometimes rather outdated. Its however the second best option, if you ask me, since you can rather easily pull a package from testing, if you so wish.

First small bug:

I haven't made an update/upgrade yet and my installation is a clean pandian-mark2-hf_2014-01-02. There, the console has the correct keyboard setup (wiz(-z)ard setup looks fine). Also, X has the right keyboard setup (tried with sudo afair). However, the login to X (gdm? slim? lightdm? didn't take a look, sorry) seems to read the password with z and x exchanged, so the config probably isn't loaded there.

Again: great work! Will update now. See what experimental has broken this hour. :)

Will update now. See what experimental has broken this hour. :)
Uh. A lot, it seems. I sorted out missing icons and fupped desktop (I'll post hints), but Pandebian is running kernel 3.2.45 and modules are for 3.2.53-pd2-00639-ge43bf76 (or something). Don't work like that.

Anyone knows where I get the correct kernel?

(vi missing. I hate nano. Installing not possible, no network. console fupped, backslash et al missing. Hm...)

Alright, so I took the Zaxxon Kernel (3.2.61, I believe) plus modules and have it running, however, wifi does not really seem to work (firmware and modules are in place and everything *looks* fine though).

Before I go on here and post details... was my method faulted? I had the impression I could do an apt-get update and upgrade after installation of Pandian and should arrive at something roughly useable?
I checked the wiki and this thread, and it looked like it... correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if you happen to update these days and lose icons, desktop background et al like me, try: 

Code:
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

Back