pandian - MARK2.5

Which distribution should be provided on next version of pandian?

• stable - aka wheezy

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • testing - aka jessie

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • unstable - aka sid

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Testing is now debian jessie, but at a more stable point Alpha 1 came out recently, which turns into nextstable. I think targeting jessie rather than a rolling testing makes more sense than stable.

Its easy enough to keep rolling, so maybe a static target makes more sense for all of everyone.
Thats not how it works. The Alpha1 release is only for the installer. Jessie (Testing) keeps rolling until the freeze later this year. Once installed you will continue to get updates as packages migrate up from Sid (unstable).

Which is why i think jessie, the non rolling variant, is a good target.  It will be a good lesson learnt in time for pyra, which needs the stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is why i think jessie, the non rolling variant, is a good target.  It will be a good lesson learnt in time for pyra, which needs the stability.
I think you have a point. Also i need to check how easy jessie ( non rolling ) can switch to test ( rolling )

Debian FAQ said:
3.1.12 I am currently tracking testing (jessie). What will happen when a release is made? Will I still be tracking testing or will my machine be running the new stable distribution?

It depends on the entries in the /etc/apt/sources.list file. If you are currently tracking testing, these entries are similar to either:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main

or

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main

If the third field in /etc/apt/sources.list is 'testing' then you will be tracking testing even after a release is made. So after jessie is released, you will be running a new Debian distribution which will have a different codename. Changes might not be apparent at first but will be evident as soon as new packages from unstable go over to the testing distribution.

But if the third field contains 'jessie' then you will be tracking stable (since jessie will then be the new stable distribution).

You guys need to read about these releases more. Neither Sid or Jessie is any less or more stable than the other. They are different. Software enters Sid where it runs through a series of automated tests before it migrates up to Jessie. Therefore, software enters Sid faster and more rapidly than Jessie. Packages can enter Jessie that break other packages. You then have to wait until the fix enters Sid, then passes the automated tests again before it get's up to Jessie. For this reason packages in Jessie can be broken for much longer. This also includes security fixes. A fix for a vulnerability will hit Sid fairly quickly, but could be stalled for weeks before it goes to Jessie.

Wheezy

• Get security fixes quickly
  • Stable yet outdated software
Jessie

• No security fixes other than what floats down from Sid
  • Becomes outdated during release freezes
  • Sometimes breaks with fixes being being slower to appear.
  • Constant updates with new software until freeze time.
Sid

• Constant updates even during freeze
  • Sometimes breaks but fixes are quick
  • Security updates come naturally as part of above

It should be a choice between Sid and Stable. Not testing. Read this link and it's sub pages.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

I'm looking forward to this, because isn't debian the OS the pyra is going to be using? So seeing how this works and how "well" it feels is going to be quite a valid test/ preparation for whats ahead.. Also a debian with PND support is going to be an  amazing thing. I really want to try this when it appears.

Sid-ice-age-22617668-500-500.jpg

sid-toy-story-zero-tshirts.jpg

I'm looking forward to this, because isn't debian the OS the pyra is going to be using? So seeing how this works and how "well" it feels is going to be quite a valid test/ preparation for whats ahead.. Also a debian with PND support is going to be an  amazing thing. I really want to try this when it appears.
+1.  

Back