pandian - MARK2

Yes, when it connects, if that's what you mean.  My IP address is 192.168.1.100 right now, a very typical local network address and definitely v4.

I should be clear: I am using gnome's nm-applet to interface with network-manager.  Normally, this applet will connect automatically when a known network is encountered.  Since the second last upgrade, nm-applet no longer does this.  I have to explicitly click on the network to connect and then it connects just fine.

It's not a big deal and may be more about network-manager than anything to do with pandian, given the use of sid...

On a different note: I upgraded to v0.7 yesterday and the upgrade wiped out my personal account customisations, specifically those in .xsessionrc.  I think that system upgrades should not change user settings.  Copying files from /etc/skel to a user's home directory should only be done when that user account is crated.

Otherwise, the upgrade seems to have gone well.  Nothing appears to have changed in my use case.  nm-applet still does not connect automatically but it does connect.

How does on change the cpu speed?

Thanks!
That's what I missed to ask about.

On that Upgrade I was asked to replace my user settings (the old ones should be backed up), but I don't know on which settings this refered. Can someone tell me which files I have to restore?

Hmm, i was thinking about this a lot ( to copy from skel to users ) Problem was: At the beginning .xinitrc has many bugs, so i need the possibility to upgrade this even in the users homes.

Here is an listening which files get automatically backuped inside the users home if you say yes ;)

/etc/skel/.fluxbox/overlay

/etc/skel/.fluxbox/init

/etc/skel/.fluxbox/keys

/etc/skel/.fluxbox/menu

/etc/skel/.fluxbox/startup

/etc/skel/.fluxbox/windowmenu

/etc/skel/.xsession

/etc/slim.conf

files without backup:

/etc/skel/.xsessionrc

for the most files, there will be custom user thinks ( see here )

If you have an idea to improve this, just post it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the best approach is to only modify system files.  You can create new user accounts with symbolic links to the files that are updated by the pandian packages.  That way, users that have not changed anything will get the updates.  Anybody that changes these files, i.e.copies in the file linked to and edits it, is on their own but at least their changes are not overwritten.

I have my own fluxbox customisations which are quite extensive, for instance.  I am happpy to incorporate pandian specific items and having such files in /etc/skel is enough for me, especially if the documentation, in the wiki say, tells us about these files.

thanks,

eric

Sorry for the circumstances

Ah, okay thanks for the hint ( with the links inside the users dir ) its an good idea , better than the backup-files. I will update the debian-packages which uses this functionality 

OK, fine. I guess, I should give up my system.

I will reinstall Pandian when stackshadow confirms the actual version as somehow stable.

There have been many changes in the last few weeks. I would appreciate a completely new build which contains the latest updates, in the download section.

Yes, when it connects, if that's what you mean.  My IP address is 192.168.1.100 right now, a very typical local network address and definitely v4.

I should be clear: I am using gnome's nm-applet to interface with network-manager.  Normally, this applet will connect automatically when a known network is encountered.  Since the second last upgrade, nm-applet no longer does this.  I have to explicitly click on the network to connect and then it connects just fine.

It's not a big deal and may be more about network-manager than anything to do with pandian, given the use of sid...
Do you use lightdm display manager?

I am using slim and the nm-applet connects automatically to my wifi network but it does not obtain an IPv4.

I tried to connect using network-manager without the nm-applet but the problem remains.

I also move from sysvinit to systemd in order to check if network-manager will obtain IPv4 but it doesn't.

Wicd works fine.

OK, fine. I guess, I should give up my system.

I will reinstall Pandian when stackshadow confirms the actual version as somehow stable.

There have been many changes in the last few weeks. I would appreciate a completely new build which contains the latest updates, in the download section.
I think this is the price for living with sid in one room ;) But even if we change back to stable ( yes we will ) the problem is only moved to the future. So its better to find out whats the problem than to "just move it". Even if its only for understanding how nm works.

The next "new" build will be based on debian-jessie

Thanks to N3Cr0 for the tip with the links :)

Update of packages

evilnet-fluxbox(0.6-1):

Move slim.conf to /etc/evilnet/x11/slim.conf and leave an symlink at /etc/slim.conf

Move all fluxbox settings to /etc/evilnet/fluxbox and leave symlinks in /etc/skel/.fluxbox

Move /etc/skel/.xsession to /etc/evilnet/x11 and leave an symlink

Automounter now supports mmc and removing of unmounted dirs

Automounter dont do anything if pmount is present

pandian-fluxbox(0.7-1)

Move manu-pandian, overlay and startup-pandian.bash and leave links in /etc/skel

pandian-x11 (0.8-1)

.xsessionrc is now an symlink to /etc/pandian/x11/.xsessionrc

.glurp is now an symlink to /etc/pandian/apps/.glurp

pandian (0.8-0)

pdcmd now calculate opp for 1GHz model

pdcmd only allow min 600MHz on boot-time

Important: To get up-to-date with pandian specific packages you need to do this

Well i try to track down the nm-applet problem. As we now it seems to be a problem of consolekit which is need CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL=y but this is not available in arm kernel.

( see this thread )

All the time i google for this network-manager it seems to me really ugly because of the immense problems it cause

I also try setup nm-applet before fluxbox starts but it doesn't help.

next i will grab the source and try to compile it in a different way, maybe it helps.

Well i try to track down the nm-applet problem. As we now it seems to be a problem of consolekit which is need CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL=y but this is not available in arm kernel.

( see this thread )

All the time i google for this network-manager it seems to me really ugly because of the immense problems it cause

I also try setup nm-applet before fluxbox starts but it doesn't help.

next i will grab the source and try to compile it in a different way, maybe it helps.
I do not think it is a nm-applet issue. It is a NetworkManager issue.

journalctl reports:

Code:
pandian NetworkManager[3712]: <error> [1397115421.4269] [nm-system.c:287] sync_addresses(): (wlan0): error -7 returned from rtnl_addr_add():

Jeah, i've got first results with pnd-support for pandian.

Some problems:

• Some of the pnds report as filesystem "#"
For example: pandoclock136:

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/mmcblk1p1/pandora/apps/Pandoclock136.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : #
APPDATADIR : /media/mmcblk1p1/pandora/appdata/pandoraclock-app
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext2
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : run.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
ERROR Unknown filesystem type : #

I think this is an bug in this pnd but i did not checked this

• dependencies: Most of the pnd comes with dependencies ( like python-pygame )
  • not found any alternative for "terminal" ( for testing i use xfce4-terminal and link it to /usr/bin/terminal, but this works not really )
  • and of course, most of the apps are armhf incompatible
finally i've got basic pnd-support and got pyclock running :) yeah

enough for today, i build the debian-package soon

What's going on with pandian? I sold my smaller sd card to my missus as she needed it for her cam.

I'm getting a new one soon and wanted to know if the network issues had been sorted and whether pnds are working?

Here is my actual plan:

• During today i build the debian package for pnd with the mentioned issues 
  • rewrite first-use-wizzard with qt
  • rewrite pdcmd to speed up response and add features from pndevmapper
  • build pandian based on Jessie
  • I read a little bit the source of libpnd, need to setup my IDE for it and try to add some stuff for armhf-pnds

This sounds excellent.

By the way, I had been having problems with NetworkManager and so switched to wicd.  Wicd works well.  However, I was having the same problems with wicd as with NetworkManager: unable to connect in particular to Eduroam at work.  The solution, for those that may be interested, is to disable the power saving on the WiFi as it times out too quickly for some enterprise networks.  Disabling the power saving is done by:

iwconfig wlan0 power off

I've had no problems connecting since then.  I don't know if this setting survives a reboot as I haven't rebooted my Pandora yet.

I don't think this will survives a reboot, but thanks mentioning it.

Because we can switch off/on wifi according to our need i can implement this also in pdcmd :)

Good idea, implementing it in pdcmd, so long as it is accessible separately from turning on/off the WiFi itself.  The power save mode is probably something we want on most of the time but needs to be switched off for some slow-to-respond networks.

Back