Ouya - Android based open gaming console

^ Don't itunes and the app stores require accounts with require credit card details?. I'd imagine they went for the same thing.

How else would you pay for online content ? Paypal linked to a bank account?
 Itunes offers ClickNbuy, which afaik can be linked to a bank accounct.
itunes doesnt need a credit card to dl apps, nor does google play.
seems to be country dependent - around here, credit card is the only way to pay on the android market - most people use the android market to get free apps and use different shops (amazon, androidpit, etc.) to buy applications/games.

itunes doesnt need a credit card to dl apps, nor does google play.
seems to be country dependent - around here, credit card is the only way to pay on the android market - most people use the android market to get free apps and use different shops (amazon, androidpit, etc.) to buy applications/games.
A credit card is required for purchasing off Google Play, but it is not required to access Google Play or to download free apps.

My co-worker said that iTunes required him to enter credit card details as he was registering, never mind purchasing. I don't know how true that is or was, but there's a big difference in the credit card requirement in that respect

You can also go to the store and buy google play and/or itunes cards with cash, and apply those to your itunes/GP accounts, eliminating the need for a CC or bank info.

Hopefully Ouya offers something similar, or they make it clear on the box that you need a CC to use it.

I never had to register any credit card, but I had a 15€ iTunes card bought in a home electronic store…

Nice to see it passed the FCC tests without a problem…

Last edited by a moderator:
At about 7cm x 7cm , that Ouya board is begging someone to make it into a handheld.   Hmmm

At about 7cm x 7cm , that Ouya board is begging someone to make it into a handheld.   Hmmm
It's called a Tegra 3 android tablet and it's available at a prices starting from 199$ from what I know…

(Nexus Note 7, WikiPad, Acer A[can't remind the number], …)

It's called a Tegra 3 android tablet and it's available at a prices starting from 199$ from what I know…

(Nexus Note 7, WikiPad, Acer A[can't remind the number], …)
I'm talking about turning it into a handheld game console , not a tablet.    

Wikipad is a handheld console ;)

And I think there are bluetooth joypads with a tablet support and decent design.

Wikipad doesn't exist - I'll believe it when I see it.  :p

It will also be like $330 when it hits Australia

Even then it's not a portable handheld in the sense I was thinking of, and of course the fun in the idea is making something yourself

Also, that board is unlikely to have been designed with power consumption as a priority

This isn't a Beagleboard. I see no headers on the OUYA PCB to bring out anything other than what the console normally brings out. So you're stuck with using HDMI for the display + audio and wiring a USB hub to it to bring out the necessary I/O, which would probably need to be on its own PCB anyway. Then there's the extra power circuitry needed to interface a battery which now has to be pumped through the 12V DC input.

If you need to do a PCB either way you're better off making one that interfaces something like Hardkernel's Exynos 4412 module (better chip anyway).

This isn't a Beagleboard. I see no headers on the OUYA PCB to bring out anything other than what the console normally brings out. So you're stuck with using HDMI for the display + audio and wiring a USB hub to it to bring out the necessary I/O, which would probably need to be on its own PCB anyway. Then there's the extra power circuitry needed to interface a battery which now has to be pumped through the 12V DC input.

If you need to do a PCB either way you're better off making one that interfaces something like Hardkernel's Exynos 4412 module (better chip anyway).
It's not about the easiest course of action, if modders wanted to do that they wouldn't mod to start with, they would just purchase something off the shelf.

Yes the Ouya board would need a Hdmi attached screen, power , plus a few other things, but it should make for a cool little handheld that can run Ouya market games - well it is an Ouya , which was the point -  ie to have a Ouya handheld not a beagleboard etc handheld .

I get the feeling Ben Heck is already on the case though. Will have to watch that space in the time before getting one myself.

It's not about the easiest course of action, if modders wanted to do that they wouldn't mod to start with, they would just purchase something off the shelf.

Yes the Ouya board would need a Hdmi attached screen, power , plus a few other things, but it should make for a cool little handheld that can run Ouya market games - well it is an Ouya , which was the point -  ie to have a Ouya handheld not a beagleboard etc handheld .

I get the feeling Ben Heck is already on the case though. Will have to watch that space in the time before getting one myself.
I thought you were talking about an actual product here and not just some mod toy, indeed someone will probably do that because someone always does.

Would you even need an OUYA to run OUYA software? How long before someone makes a custom ROM that can do it? What software-wise is OUYA going to be providing that you need the hardware for? This is assuming there ends up any noteworthy OUYA exclusives not also available on the general Android store. This is really not the least bit comparable to a standard home console..

I thought you were talking about an actual product here and not just some mod toy, indeed someone will probably do that because someone always does.

Would you even need an OUYA to run OUYA software? How long before someone makes a custom ROM that can do it? What software-wise is OUYA going to be providing that you need the hardware for? This is assuming there ends up any noteworthy OUYA exclusives not also available on the general Android store. This is really not the least bit comparable to a standard home console..

No, not a product, you know I like tinkering and modding as does hailrazer. 

Any board you use as a bases for a handheld, even the Exynos one you mentioned (which Ive looked at before) would require significant work(time wise) - mostly in the case etc.  Might as well go authentic if your going to put the hard yards in.

Back