[Original Game] AquaVenture

Had a bug, died at the first level, then the girl came back but was impossible to move as we had no heart to assemble.

Ah, OK. I'll fix that. Thanks for reporting. :)

BTW Dying on level 0? :lol:

Is the game really that hard? :unsure:

[EDIT] Fixed and updated. New version on the Repo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it took me a long time to put the .pnd in the right folder, so playing...

Had a bug, died at the first level, then the girl came back but was impossible to move as we had no heart to assemble.
sounds like the outline for a weird variation on Romeo and Juliet, ... or maybe someone's life story in brief? ;)

Lovely game. Coherent presentation and nice levels with varying use of elements.

Test run cut short by a crash though :(

I'll play some more today and see if I can reproduce it to get you the log.

I also smiled during the intro sequence :)

EDIT: The crash occurred in the level "are you shore?" when the starfish exploded. Did not reproduce.

I played through the game without a single crash.

It has a nice length, although I could have played on forever. At some point I thought "oh no, not another dark level", but that was the last of those (and a good one, too).

I like how diverse the problems are that you have to solve, although there are actually only very few mechanics involved (or so it seems).

I also would have put it into "Puzzle" and not into "Arcade"

I didn't like the end though (going to put it in a spoiler for those who did not play through the game yet):

the girl being killed in the end kind of ruined the warm and fuzzy feeling I had during the entire game, especially since there is nothing you can do about it as I couldn't even move ... if it had to be a sad ending, I would at least have prefered something more open, like the girl being swallowed by a whale and to be rescued in Aquaventure 2 or something like that ... but seeing a pool of blood disappear and the little diver floating there all alone was rather bit off-putting ...

re: The ending - I ran out of time and had to have some sort of ending, so that's all that could be done I'm afraid. I really like your idea though, so I might change the ending. If Mass Effect 3 can do it, then so can I! :D

There is kind of a message in the current ending though... And I do enjoy a bit of dark humour. My son didn't like the ending either BTW. But when you're out of time, you're out of time. Sorry :(

As for the dark levels, there are only five, but they are tough.

BTW You are the first person to complete the game (other than me) that I'm aware of. Glad you liked it enough to keep playing. Well done and thankyou :)

Well, usually I also like dark humor, it's just that the game puts you in such a fuzzy mood ... :rolleyes:

I'm just stating my humble opinion anyway, it's your game and it should end how you want it to end! If it ended differently somebody would have complained that the end was too cheesy ... probably that would have been me as well ;)

But if a different ending will result in more levels or Aquaventure 2: please do it! :D I really enjoyed every minute playing the game!

Venture Deeper.
Nice :D

A second game would obviously depend on how well (or not) AquaVenture does in the competition. I'm making no promises, as there's some really cool stuff out there. I will say though, that there were several elements that didn't make it into this game.

Just found some time to test your game. Its really great. Played to level 10 and damn I cant figure out how those green squids move. Guess I have to study them a bit more :)

And I love your graphics!

Same as above poster. Damn, is this addictive! I was just going to try it out, and suddenly over an hour had passed and I was at, what? Level 19, or something. Damn.

Excellent one, this.

I managed to avoid the squid now but I still have no clue how the movement works :) Now I'm stuck in 19 there clearly is no solution, is it?. And are you supposed to be able to swap position with the crab?

EDIT: The crash occurred in the level "are you shore?" when the starfish exploded. Did not reproduce.
I had the same crash. pnd_out follows...

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/PANDI/pandora/menu/AquaVenture.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/PANDI/pandora/appdata/AquaVenture
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED :
EXENAME : scripts/AquaVenture.sh
ARGUMENTS :
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/AquaVenture"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDI/pandora/appdata/AquaVenture=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/AquaVenture=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/AquaVenture"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (scripts/AquaVenture.sh ) ----------
bounds: [ 30][ 30]
access: [ 12][ -1]
timer
rbow
rbow init
sdl init video PANDORA
SDL_GetVideoInfo = 800x480 @ 16 bpp
800x480 sdl
get accurate timer - 1st call
flip - 1st call
BGRA ext supported
Texture size limit: 2048
init fbo
2D VP
OGRB init [OK]
Cptn
Network
Input
Window mode
Create DXin
sdl_grab
reptr
getexe
cd
set cdir to: /mnt/utmp/AquaVenture
exepath=curdir= /mnt/utmp/AquaVenture
Init Finalized
set cdir to: Media
bounds: [ 30][ 30]
access: [ 12][ -1]
GLB Error: 9
Shut down GLB
glb is shut down
exit
[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application (scripts/AquaVenture.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/AquaVenture': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 2

bug report : in level 7 there is one time when the sponge and the squid were together on the same spot after I moved my character - it should not have happened, I believe. 

There are times when the sea life end up occupying the same space. I haven´t coded for every eventuality, so sometimes this happens. It´s basically an oddity created by the octopus´ movement and the  order things move in.

As for level 19, it´s definitely possible.

[EDIT] Fixed spellings - I was typing on my Pandora :(

I can't remember each level individually , so just loaded it up.

What you need to do is -

(D=Down. U=Up. R=Right)

DDDDDDD

UUU

DDD

UU

DD

RRRRRR

U

:)

I´ll see what´s causing the crash. looks like an array out of bounds error, maybe.

Back