[Original Game] AquaVenture

whaat! do I see a donald button up there? I better check it :)

edit: damn, it is just the video, at least  I will be able to work today.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks absolutely gorgeous, underwater is a nice theme and I like puzzle-games. :)
Agree!!  Wow this game looks cute and sounds like it will be great fun, and challenge :)

[begs for Linux / Pandora demo to try, haha at your discretion captain!]

I'd love to release the game to more people, but it would ruin the surprise and be forgotten about by the time the judging occurs.

The game isn't big and although it's got over 20 levels already, it is generally pretty easy. I do add something new to the game every few levels, but I can see people finishing it pretty quickly. It's a satisfying snack rather than a sumptuous banquet. If I show too much now, then there will be nothing new to see once the comp is over.

Balancing a game like this is incredibly tough - I have no way of knowing how difficult a puzzle really is until I get feedback. So far it looks like I've got it about right, but there's still some tweaking to do - one of the levels I took great delight in originally designing and hoped would prove a challenge has proven to be incredibly easy. Another level that I though was pretty simple was deemed "impossible" by someone. Unfortunately I can't physically see anyone else actually playing the game - my wife isn't a gamer and while my son is, puzzlers are definitely not his cup of tea. I'm having to do it all myself.

But short and sweet as it may be, I'm proud of it and it's another all new game for the Pandora and other systems. :)

any possibility of extra level packs or something in future, perhaps in the way that levels get added to "Microbes"? from what i know of aqua-venture from this thread a level editor might massively prolong its longevity - the best levels could get included in the most recent version of the PND. Thats just an idea for the future though, i'm sure the compo entry will be plenty challenging.

AV already has a built in level editor - that's generally the first thing I code into my games. Any new levels would have to be saved in the appdata file and loaded as User levels I suppose. However my experience of such things is that very few users actually bother to create any levels.

I released B'lox! a few years ago on iOS, webOS, GP2X, Wiz and more recently Caanoo and have never received a single extra level, despite the level editor being included. A couple of my other games also included an editor.

I'll let users decide if the game is challenging enough. :)

Possibly ;)

In the meantime, here's the first WIP image of the game in action -

21.PNG

As you can see there are some graphic blocks that need some pixel work. All graphics are still subject to change though.

Looks good! 

I have to ask though, is anyone else flashing back to the swimming level in Commander Keen IV?   I'm half expecting to see a dopefish. ;)

- Neelix

Looks good! 

I have to ask though, is anyone else flashing back to the swimming level in Commander Keen IV?   I'm half expecting to see a dopefish. ;)

- Neelix
I've never played any Commander Keen games, so I don't actually know what a dopefish is.

As for using nubs - no, it uses DPad and B button (or touchscreen, but that's for potential iOS and webOS versions really).

As for AeroVenture - the skies are pretty empty really, so it'd be a very easy puzzle game. Besides, the water in this game is of the dry variety.

[EDIT] Just saw a video of the Dopefish on YouTube. Nope, there's nothing like that in this game. I suppose the octopus is the creature that most closely resembles its movement (ie chases the player), although not in the same way.

Good luck on your entry iprice.

If yoou are interested, I can "port" some of your old games to Nokia N900 if you let me. Privmsg if interested.

The gfx is really great, quite hard dealing really short amount of pixels and still keep a clear visual. Excellent choice of colors. 

Back