[Original Game] AquaVenture

I like the ending. What I did not like was level 30, because sometimes stones and barrels will be pushed 2 tiles instead of one. The controls don't work so well in that case.

An "undo" button would be practical for levels like level 30 - after I knew exactly how to solve it, I still needed 4 or 5 restarts just to execute my plan without "typos".

The ending is surprising so that's OK, but not really suitable for young children (while the rest of the game would be quite good for kids).

Overall, I really like the game: the concept, graphics and levels are all very well done. The only thing I don't like about it is the license...

Overall, I really like the game: the concept, graphics and levels are all very well done. The only thing I don't like about it is the license...
The license isn't so bad, could be a lot worse!  at least we can see the source code.

If anyone wants to do something else with it, he can ask the author,

or say - "fuck it I'm a pirate who cares about licenses anyway".  Seems reasonable to me.  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The game IS redistributable - I messed up the license a bit due to the included source. ALL versions for all formats are freely redistributable. It's only the selling of the package I'm really against, as I may want (need, depending on RL situation) to release this commercially soon.

The Repo version clearly states that the game is redistributable and I've placed links on here, GP32X and GLBasic.com should be an indicator that the game is freely redistributable.

Try going to the bottom left, then back to the top,via the bubbler, ensuring that the octopus returns to it's starting position, and then go back down again. Bob along the sea-bed. This prevents the octopus harming you or being harmed by the mines. Block it with the sponge.

Beautiful game. I wish it was possible to swim as fast as tapping the buttons would allow.

Got squid into stone at 9 meters.

There is a serious bug at 17 meters, at the start, 20 or so moves in i got pushed around at random, my thing only moved left either which way i moved, and it could only go in between two spaces. I only manipulated the first stone, maybe it was when you time it so that the first purple inhibits the move of the stone so that you dont have to move the other one. I also remember something about moving the diver up to the top left corner to get the right timing. got stuck there. It then blew up my fish or i restarted the level, cant remember. Hope its not only when all 16 levels are played in order beforehand. Is there some kind of debug or crash logged?

How does one get out of the game?

There is no sense of accomplishment between levels. There should be a little coin sound there.

Its a little hard to grasp the fine humor of the level names, this splashscreen could be just a little bit longer.

Wish it was GPLv3

For a game made completely from scratch in under two months by one person, I would expect there to be a bug or two. Sorry.

As for swimming faster - later levels require fine movements. Swim too fast and you'll make lots more mistakes. I may however look at this as it has been requested by several others. It's not intended to be a fast paced game (you are swimming underwater after all), but I do listen :)

Like most Pandora games, pressing  Fn and Q (ESC) exits the level and the game. This is in the ReadMe IIRC.

Why do you wish it was under GPLv3? Do you want it ported to a specific format or want to expand on the game. Let me know your thoughts and maybe we can sort something out. If it's for commercial reasons, then the answer is "No!"

There are quite some really good entries in this category, but this is my No. 1.

Here's what I like most:

- Really beautiful pixel art graphics :wub:

- Nicely designed levels - all in all not too hard and not too easy. :)

- The way the instructions are given at the begining - completely without words! Cool! B)

Here's what I like to see in the future

- Aqua Venture 2 "Venture Deeper" (or a level pack with at least 30 new levels ) :lol:

- Aqua Venture 3 "Deep Sea Dreams" (or a level pack...)

- Aqua Venture 4 ...

Really, the gameplay has potential for many, many more interesting levels...

So - thanks for this, iprice - I'm off to vote now! :)

EDIT: I don't think, the moves are too slow - especially in later levels it's just right!

I'm late, but I like the game anyway :p

It crashed at lv13 but I was happy to find that it remembered my progress :)

I like the gameplay and the graphic.

I giggled at the beginning both for the love sequence and the sounds of the submarine. :D

There's only one thing that is still not so clear... how exactly work the line of view of the octopus? Cause even if there's a sponge between us seems like only some directions stops his sight... And is it normal that it can pass through the sponge ?

Maybe this can be a silly question, but why the credits at the menu screen are opened by the touch screen and the normal menu just by buttons ?

And is it normal that it can pass through the sponge ?
That's a feature. Yes, definitely a feature... [Runs away]

[slopes back] Long story short - I probably missed out the movement checking for one or other creature. It shouldn't happen, but it does. I know now.

how exactly work the line of view of the octopus?
The octopus is a more intelligent beast than the other creatures you'll find in the game. It has a movement pattern based on several factors, including the location of the player and the land around it. It's not too clever and can be manipulated quite easily, but it still poses  a challenge.

but why the credits at the menu screen are opened by the touch screen and the normal menu just by buttons ?
Because I coded it to run on my webOS phone too (and it does, nicely, with just touchscreen) - i removed some of the touch screen input, but obviously missed some in the rush to get it completed.

I would have a suggestion for the ending:
You could make two endings, a good and a bad one depending on how much tries or time it took the player to finish the game.
This might make everyone happy.

I would have a suggestion for the ending: You could make two endings, a good and a bad one depending on how much tries or time it took the player to finish the game. This might make everyone happy.
I did think of doing that, actually.

I lolled too at the ending :D  

"!" :D :D

Anyway I found that this kind of game lack of replayability, as in all puzzle games when you know the solution there's no challenge anymore, so either you need a LOT of levels or maybe it should be smart to think about some kind of "random level generator", but I know it can be very difficult to make. 

AquaVenture wasn't designed for replayability tbh - the nature of the game and timescale of the comp alone wouldn't really allow that. It was written so that players would enjoy the challenge and the game as they played it and while it lasts.

When I buy/download games (or any other media), I don't necessarily expect to play through, watch or read it multiple times. I enjoy the medium for what it is. Sure, some games are enjoyable to play through a second, third or more times (or offer bonuses etc. to do so). Some are only played once. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game any less than those I play through multiple times. Sometimes life is too short to play one game over and over. Enjoy it while it lasts and move onto the next. AquaVenture isn't a big game, but I hope everyone that plays it enjoys the experience - whether they get to the end or not and whether they wish to play throug hit again or not.

I could do a random level editor, which could create dull or difficult levels with no pacing. Or I could open the editor to the community and see if they wish to design new levels (you can then challenge me to complete them). I know which I'd rather :)

Honestly, you probably wouldn't believe how long each level takes to actually design, furnish, re-envision and test. Really, it's much longer amd harder to do than you'd expect. Then make another 30 that are all different. Not easy.

Just make an unfinishable level, then claim you've made 29 after this one.

Back