[Original Game] P01: Trigger Happy

Why not submit an unfinished project to the compo? It may not give your a prize, but I'm sure many of us would like to see a "preview" of your project. Not everyone is going to want to take the time to pull and compile your sources though, so a PND submitted to the compo would be quite useful.

Also, there's still one month left, and once you get your Pandora back, you'll have lots more opportunities to code even if you're short on time...

Please don't give up!

i hope this will be finished even if not in time for the compo, it looks so promising.

Why not submit an unfinished project to the compo?
I guess it depends how "unfinished" it is. At the minute, there's practically nothing in terms of gameplay other than what you can see in the YouTube vids.

I also generally dislike releasing massively incomplete projects. I remember reading an article (though can't remember where) where they called it something like the "Indie Curse", where as soon as you release a demo, the project is over.

A lot of it will really boil down to time, but we'll see. I might be able to get something out

I really hope you can share your game whether finished or not for the competition.

It's looking very promising!  If you need some help with it, I'd like to help.

I really like side scrollers, do you remember

Last edited by a moderator:
I am working on Trigger Happy to be entered into the compo, so there's a chance I'll make it. I've decided to ditch the "P01" engine though and make the game more static for the sake of time. Thankfully I can reuse a lot of it's code while removing all the unnecessary config file support

looking good! If it was you that made the pixel art the congratualations it looks superb and the rotation and animations are looking pretty sweet already!

Cheers.

No, the pixel art is off OpenGameArt. I suck at drawing spaceships. All credits will be promptly displayed when the game is further down the line.

Oh, and the title screen is not (hopefully) going to be the finished article ;)

I'm not sure yet. I'm making my usual mistake of building a shed load of tech without any clue what to do with it :p

Well, that's not strictly true. I have some vague ideas. The zoom was there just I could see how the different scales worked on an actual Pandora screen, but I may use it when bringing in the "big boss" to shrink the player to a minute size :lol:

Yes, looks really great. Different zoomlevels might be useful if you have levels with a lot of obstacles where you want a better overview. In tbis case, zoom out. El, if there is bossslaughtering action, zoom in and create a claustropbobic feeling.

Edit: Do you already have some levelgraphics? Will they be hand drawn or tiled?

El, if there is bossslaughtering action, zoom in and create a claustropbobic feeling.
That's a really nice idea, do you mind if I use that? :)
Edit: Do you already have some levelgraphics? Will they be hand drawn or tiled?
Unfortunately, I have no other graphics yet - well, I have the star tiles I made that you can see in the older vid. One of the problems I think I'm going to face, is that I've currently not got a consistant "artist". Hence why you can see a big difference between the bullets and the ship, so there'll probably be a big difference between level graphics and the player, which I'm not too keen on, but I guess I'll have to go with what I have for now.
The levels will probably be tiled though, because the current plan is to randomly generate levels, and possibly even the bosses using the ship pieces.

I think I'll probably need to sit down and really plan what I'm doing with this, and maybe try and find me an artist so I can have a consistant look to the game.

As good as. At least for now. I had very little free time during Jan, and not had an amazing amount in Feb. Most of the time you see me on the boards, I'm actually at work (sssshhh)

In addition, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with this game.

I'm also very aware that without a dedicated artist (whether that be myself or another person), using a mismatch of graphics from the internet will just be another naff game (see CyRacer). I know the whole "programmer art for prototyping" thing, but it tires me when things still look like a prototype even late on in development.

So, at the minute, I'm taking a step back from game development, and am working on an open-source lockstep network engine (used primarily in RTS games). Quite a high proportion of games in my "development list" are multiplayer, so getting a nice network library will cut down a lot of shoe leather. Hopefully.

I see.

If you want some tech tree/ability system you may ask me any time. I'm pretty good with such stuff. Made some Super Smash Bros.Brawl characters before I got a Pandora.

Those multiplayer games, are they planned for Pandora?

Back