No prototypes for GamesCom, but a Wifi Chip and a Pyra in the dark!

Well short of annoying ED with pm's, I've done all I can for the singlewide space cause.

I voted, I argued. I pointed out some of the benefita as I saw them.

I have one last idea, who knows what may come of it...?

One

moar

Poll!!

I'm being serious. No really!

Have a poll PURELY for singlewide vs doublewide.

Opening post should list all the myriad benefits of each option... by someone who can do so in an unbiased manner (is that even possible?)

A way to get around this is to ask each voter to explain their vote, and then to add new material to the opening post in bullet point form.

I'm not going to do this myself - I don't have the time or energy.

I suspect that the results would be very telling.

There's ^ at shift+6, dead circumflex ˆ at Fn+I, and dead umlaut ¨ at Fn+Shift+I, in line with many international keyboards. For US people, a frowny face ☹ would be the perfect mapping there.

I should disagree with comradekingu, however, in that the Fn buttons are actually going to be using the Meta layer, and NOT the AltGr layer. You can still setup your AltGr layer however you like (there will be remapping allowed, for instance to put ñ on AltGr+n). And you can also setup the Fn layer (i.e. the Meta layer) however you like, though that may be less nice (especially in typing by looking at the keyboard). This gives a very user-mod-friendly keyboard layout, if you ask me.

I will also get rid of a few Fn symbols (like the section sign §), in favor of things like Ω and μ, but not too many to make it too confusing. No need to say the keyboard has serious flaws (looking at you, Saber); just put some button you actually want there. Bam, one extra user button.
Concerning dead Umlaut, according to _wb_ it's rarely used, and I don't care either way for Caron, so I say we should drop them. Circumflex is good enough on the label as it looks cleaner without piling up diacritics. We could always have a hidden Shift + Fn on the key though.
Wait, wait. I said ë and ï are rare enough to not need two direct precomposed Fn keys for them, like you proposed. Having ¨ on Shift+^ like on French keyboards is still nice though, and I would certainly not drop that or make it a hidden feature.
You could remap them to Section Sign or Eszett. It'll make the layout label cleaner. 

As for ED's layout, I've already resigned as I said here from any further(and unwanted) effort toward improving it. Best of luck with it. :)      

Last edited by a moderator:
As there seem to be a lot of users that want 5GHz, I would like to put myself down as a definite for 5GHz 

I wont be using for 3/4G but 5GHz would be very handy

The color grey looks pretty good in the render. The Pyra certainly looks pretty dang awesome to me! I am pleased of how it is coming out. To me, it is, in almost every way, a upgrade and step forward from the Pandora.

No disrespect to the Pandora, I still absolutely love mine. Still plays like a champ and still continues to improve.

If you have the one capable client, all you need is to be in range of a 5Ghz host.

Are you confident you will feel its wasted when/if that happens?

I really want a luxury pyra, max ram, 5GHz, 4G, big eMMC. Id take aluminium case and only external antennas if it came down to it though.

Considering the base price, these upgrades aren't a big part of the price.

Edit: In terms of colour, the AKG C 547 BL looks good even when you put use on it.

Of course that's the part you'd quote. As for abusiveness, maybe you Roy, who I've noticed has a tendency to be patronizing and corrective to those you disagree with(and no this isn't excusable even if you volunteer here), shouldn't comment freely on other's posts, specifically mine which you referred to as rudely "spewing". Goes both ways.
Well yeah that is the part I quoted, it was what you were trying to get a reaction from. Am I supposed to be intimidated that you found out my real name?, you could have got it from the repo, or the Pandora wiki or the three pages of hits from a google search of "TrashyMG".  Also yes I like to correct people who are wrong on the internet and prod at people a tad at times, I don't have television for entertainment this is all I have.

As for ED's layout, I asked what you thought was good or bad about it, something, anything, but you fell back on the usual sourpuss persona.
Not really, I'm a busy person, I was at work and had things to do. I can't always cater to everyone. And sometimes I don't have a strong opinion on something. 

This is only a suggestion(another one), but I wish the moderators here had a separate joint account they'd log into, for when they are on the prowl looking for spam and profanity or whatever they do, from their public face account. It would maybe keep some of the superiority sarcasm and/or impulsiveness from rearing it's head.
Well if we had one joint account we'd just blame everything on Wally. Oh and my superiority sarcasm was much stronger when I wasn't a moderator.

Sometimes it feels like you have to be so careful with what you disagree with around here for fear of being leaped upon, by the team too, who each seem to have their own little entourage who "like" what they say. Feel sorry for the newbs who'd rather read, so as not to be bullied down, then talk.
Well it's fine to disagree with someone,  but maybe it's not a case were established forum people are out to get you, maybe it's because there is something fundamentally wrong with what you are saying and a lot of other people agree. I've eaten a lot of crow here in the forum, I've had to admit I was totally wrong on several occasions. Not saying I'm wrong now... I can be diplomatic and patronizing at the same time, it's who I am.

Don't diplomatize me, patron.

On a serious note its easier to point out a alternative view in-part than it is to succumb to a whole view you don't agree with to improve that, especially if it doesn't point itself out. Where do you begin, and how far do you take it?

Challenging popular view you will find yourself often subject to the same cautious criticism.

Its hard to answer, the real questions is. I think both as an individual and as a group, its about shifting out the noise and questioning both, by all parties.

Of course that's the part you'd quote. As for abusiveness, maybe you Roy, who I've noticed has a tendency to be patronizing and corrective to those you disagree with(and no this isn't excusable even if you volunteer here), shouldn't comment freely on other's posts, specifically mine which you referred to as rudely "spewing". Goes both ways.
Well yeah that is the part I quoted, it was what you were trying to get a reaction from. Am I supposed to be intimidated that you found out my real name?, you could have got it from the repo, or the Pandora wiki or the three pages of hits from a google search of "TrashyMG".  Also yes I like to correct people who are wrong on the internet and prod at people a tad at times, I don't have television for entertainment this is all I have.
I wonder if I'm the only one who considers it incredibly rude to out someone's real name in a forum where they do not normally use it?

-Neelix

It's 28 EUR btw. I don't think it's a good idea to make 5Ghz a 3G/4G exclusive. People might want the 5Ghz and not 3G/4G. I mean, they shouldn't have to pay ~100 just to get it. Maybe you can still get them to lower it some.
The problems at hand is, that the version that also supports the 5Ghz band raises the price significantly. 14€ alone don't sound like much, but the Pyra will already be on the brim of beeing conceived as too pricy (cause smartphones are more powerfull n'stuff) adding another, even small, amount could push the Pyra "over the edge" in terms of price attractiveness (think in terms of why most things are priced with a 9 at the end).The best solution would be to just let everyone choose their preferred Pyra configuration, but sadly this would raise the price even more then just including the more expensive chip.

So _wb_s idea is actually quite good, a compromise not everybody will be happy with,but its better the nothing as having for different Pyra models surely isn't an option.

At the topic in general

- while I still consider the 5GHz a nice to have feature, with so many potential customers voicing their need/interest for it here, I suggest trying to explore how to shoehorn the support for it into the price calculation

- I read the term "futureproofing" several times in this thread now. But is support for it really "futureproofing" the Pyra in any way? As far as I did understand it, the additional Band is there to broaden the spectrum of possible frequencies, not to replace the already used ones

I would prefer like the 5GHz capable wifi chip. Future-proofing is a good argument. Supporting 802.11a networks is another. Despite it's age, 802.11a is very stable and provides an easy break from the noise in the 2.4GHz area. Seems like a good idea to bundle the 5GHz and the GSM modem so that there can be a cheap model too.

That keyboard looks pretty good. Better than the ones in the poll. Good job, EvilDragon.

I know that they are renderings but I actually think the case looks pretty good in grey. Maybe a slightly darker grey.

The problem is the first order. Money is tight with the first 1000 Pyras, after that, things will be easier. We need to make enough money to also fund the next 1000 Pyras. And 14 EUR more results in 14,000 EUR more to pay. This doesn't sound like that much, but it simply adds up.
I am becoming more in favour for 5Ghz with the comments above, from this I get its maybe a good idea to make it a stretch goal dependent on the number of preorders..

A certain device in my house that may not be named here has the GPS module only available in the 3g version. I will be choosing the 3/4g anyway but I just want to know if that's the case for pyra too. Or does it have a separate GPS chip?

Also, after having read up on 5GHz, I would choose for that for sure.

- I read the term "futureproofing" several times in this thread now. But is support for it really "futureproofing" the Pyra in any way? As far as I did understand it, the additional Band is there to broaden the spectrum of possible frequencies, not to replace the already used ones
- If 5Ghz is meant to address congestion on the 2,4 band and we assume there will only be more devices using this band (wifi,BT was mentioned) - Then having 5GHz option is futureproofing. My router is dual band and 2,4 works well here, but if I take my Pyra somewhere else and it can not get online bc it doesnt support 5GHz, I will experience it just as badly as the pandora's lousy internal wifi. please dont make me use external wifi dongle again =)

I will gladly pay extra for this. The only reason not to the way I see it would be if we could get something more useful for the cost. I dont know what that would be.

*Yes i am afraid of buying an expensive portable device and having to use dongle for something as trivial as wifi.

I really want a luxury pyra, max ram, 5GHz, 4G, big eMMC. Id take aluminium case and only external antennas if it came down to it though.

Considering the base price, these upgrades aren't a big part of the price.

Edit: In terms of colour, the AKG C 547 BL looks good even when you put use on it.
I am pretty sure, at least initially, that we won't be getting max RAM.  Aluminum or other metal case would be lovely, but I doubt we will see that either.  I think that color does look nice, however I am fond of most medium to dark grey, and blacks, and most other darker colors.

Am I supposed to be intimidated that you found out my real name?, you could have got it from the repo, or the Pandora wiki or the three pages of hits from a google search of "TrashyMG".  Also yes I like to correct people who are wrong on the internet and prod at people a tad at times, I don't have television for entertainment this is all I have.
Don't forget, your name is also associated with the youtube account you use to post videos, which you often link for us here to show us what you are messing with.  My username contains my name for those silly enough to attempt to figure it out.  

Poking people is fun, until it escelates to a point of attacking everyone who has stated their opinion, preferences or disagreement with what someone says, as has been happening a lot by some people recently.  I don't mean telling people to "shut up", which is understandable at times, and I feel is appropriate for a lot of what is going on in this thread now.

I wonder if I'm the only one who considers it incredibly rude to out someone's real name in a forum where they do not normally use it?

-Neelix
 It seems many agree, but it isn't suprising, as Saber seems to have been on a bit of a rampage of sorts lately.

On the 5GHz wifi topic, I still feel that cost increase could be better used for other aspects of the Pyra.  If nothing else needs to be added or sorted out, and the price of the final unit will not increase much due to inclusion, I guess it is worth adding it.  Many people say they want and already use 5GHz for other devices, and it will probably be of more use than some other options, such as what I am still wondering about (module capable of US 3/4G).

So, it seems a few want it to be 3G/4G exclusive and a very small few (1 or 2) don't want it at all. Seems like in general, most people want 5GHz.

I still don't think exclusive is the right way to go. It's just going make people crossed when they find out why the Pyra "so much cheaper" than 3G/4G and figure

out they can't get that feature without buying 3G/4G. Something they might never plan on getting.

I want my Pyra in Blue, whit the 2 ghz Wifi, and 3G, because at home, my Internet is very slow, slower than Wifi can be..

Whit a 3G module, i can just put my Sim from the Smartphone to the Pyra, which should be much more power evicence than wifi thetering..

but should the first 1000 Pyra be Wifi Only, then i think i will get me Wifi Only, as i now know how to use wifi thetering, and even a cheap android phone, would work for that..

No blue as the only option initially, please.  I don't want to paint the thing as soon as I get it, but I don't want it to be blue at all.

Also, please don't make the first run wifi only if future ones will have 3/4G.  That would lead to me waiting to buy, and one less preorder.

Back