News from all fronts

The whole clear case is tacky - and that's kind of the point of the clear case. It's obnoxious, anti-fashion and kitch by design.
But I like the clear case, and think it is fun, not obnoxious. :(
Conservative minded folks would be heading for the black(ish) case.
Great, so now I am obnoxious AND conservative. Even worse, I wouldn't mind it in a dark greyish translucent. I am pretty sure I am in the minority there, especially with those that care about being conservative and workplace friendly...not sure why you would take a toy to work if you are worried about such things, though.
Personally I'm still of the opinion that clear cases should be made of glow-in-the-dark polycarbonate, even though I understand that to be impractical. The stuff looks clear in light - then subtly glows greenish in the dark.
It is probably too late now, but maybe ED can find out how much extra it would be to get enough glow in the dark stuff for a small run. I might like the glow case, but I would probably need to see it (I prefer the "classic green" but some of the pinks and blues I have seen are also nice).
For all other 'colors' of cases not 'clear', where ED has stated that all shoulders & nubs - and since they're on the same mold - & stylus will be black. IMHO the 'clear' case would be the natural exception to that rule - with everything being icecycle colored. Likewise, all non-clear 'colors' with their black shoulders, nubs, stylus would look great with a black logo surround. Properly coated or anodized, scratching shouldn't be much of an issue so long as you don't carry your keys and/or rock collection in the same pocket as your Pyra.
Ok, I am following your vision of the clear case now. It still isn't my preference, but I can see how the whole shiny and icy theme works together. I wasn't thinking of it that way. I think glowing nubs and buttons might look good with a clear case, although blue might fit with the icy theme better than green. I am more likely to go for glowing buttons instead of the whole case. I am still a bit confused about which molds have the stylus/buttons/nub tops.

This is possibly an issue most people won't run into, but I do tend to carry change and a pen (often a metal one, such as the shuttle style space pen, clipped to my pocket) and those work better in a pocket separate from whatever knife I am carrying that day. I would probably throw them in the other pocket, so there is a good chance the logo plate will get scratched up. After the recent commercials for that stretchy fanny pack thing where they mention people don't wear clothes that have pockets anymore, I guess I may be the odd one out. I guess everyone else just carries a purse or holds their devices instead of paying attention to what is happening around them (really sucks when they do this while driving). Anyway, I know my practice of keeping other stuff in my pocket has led to scratched smartphone screens, and might be what some of the little scrapes on my Pandora are from.
So, clear case orders should probably cost something more - if they're going to be a thing at all. The rebelious inclined among us seem to be into it - so if it isn't prohibitively expensive, why not?
Wait, so now I am an obnoxious conservative rebel? I need to write all this down. :p

I was initially concerned about the light leakage from a clear/translucent case until I saw the pics. I really don't see it being much of a problem, it just looks more interesting with the lights on and off. I also agree ED should make a little extra money for the trouble of having these vanity cases made. It sounds like he already wants to do a conservative color and a fun one, so if that isn't enough, pay up so you can be one of the lucky 23 (or 500, which I think was the number he mentioned). I thought he said he might do some limited edition cases (with something like the wood or carbon fiber look), so he might go the safe route and do what people are asking for.

Oh, I know! Translucent glow case, black logo plate, Ghostbusters logo. Better release it soon to get all those fan impulse buyers.

I personally would never buy a device with useless LEDs just to look 1337, and I like the LEDs in the Pyra just because they serve a purpose: Notifying the user, making the keyboard better visible at night etc.
A clear case would make the LEDs shine trough the sides when you use the device at night, which is not just useless, it's also damn annoying for anyone who might want to sleep next to you. Deactivating the LEDs would also not benifit you, as you'd have the same sitation as with the Pandora where you'd have to use the backlight of the screen to see something. Also, having a brightly lit 3DS looking device in your hand in a train doesn't look "leet", it just looks stupid to anyone who doesn't know what that thing is.

|-)

Don't worry, I don't want the main case to be cool and different, just mine. I'm quite alright with everyone else getting a super boring and utilitarian down-to-business no frills stay in your box don't rock the boat keep calm and carry on black.

Don't worry, I don't want the main case to be cool and different, just mine. I'm quite alright with everyone else getting a super boring and utilitarian down-to-business no frills stay in your box don't rock the boat keep calm and carry on black.
Okay, I have to admit, the argument I made was too much based on my personal opinion and spiced with insults. That being said, I have no problem at all with an extra case being whatever colour or clear, as long as people here don't get the illusion that every opinion can be catered to with such a small production company. The clear case, however, is getting more and more realistic, and eventhough I don't like it and I don't get it, especially because I think that the Pyra just looks "super boring and utilitarian" from the shape and function alone and the clear case stands in the way of this design, I don't have any problem with other people getting such a device. And because I will probably already spend a ridiculous amount of money for the Pyra, SD cards and not to forget Exagear Desktop, I could actually just buy a clear case in addition to that because, all in all, it's not that big of a difference in cost if it's just 25€.

Oh, I know! Translucent glow case, black logo plate, Ghostbusters logo. Better release it soon to get all those fan impulse buyers.
Ghostbusters logo to get fan impulse buyers? In 2016!? That's hilarious!

By the way, it's very weird that this thread is now one where we argue for different colours. Polls were already made, there will probably be more when ED gets the different samples, and all opinions are just based on ones opinion and lifestyle. There's pretty much no objective argument to be made and it's all just becoming insults (partially my fault) and statements of individual opinions that can be made better in a poll. Here it's slowly just becoming a contest of screaming louder by posting more and putting out more insults (again, I did my part in that). So can't we just vote for it when the time comes and until then... I don't know, do something else?

Is there anyone who has spec sheets of TILER, the OMAP's internal 2D rotator chip? I'd really like to know if it uses picture compression like the Solomon chip, if it has an extra RAM, how big that RAM is (with the Solomon, it is quite interesting that only one flipped image can be stored) and so on. I'm somehow having a hard time finding material on this, and I don't want to get an account at TI.

Is there anyone who has spec sheets of TILER, the OMAP's internal 2D rotator chip? I'd really like to know if it uses picture compression like the Solomon chip, if it has an extra RAM, how big that RAM is (with the Solomon, it is quite interesting that only one flipped image can be stored) and so on. I'm somehow having a hard time finding material on this, and I don't want to get an account at TI.

NO, it doesn't use Compression and has no extra Ram. It resides in OMAP5's Ram Controller and provides more or less some Logic to swizzle around the Address Bus so when reading from TILERS Special Memory Area it gives you an rotated image by reading the Ram different than directly accessing the Ram does.

Hang on. Is this LED light leakage really a thing? What if it, as has been stated, gets on my bed covers? My sheets? My jeans? Does it wash out easily? Is it viscous, or will it soak through? Are there any recommended detergents needed for cleaning?

"Dragonbox Pyra recommends Daz" etc.

This is highly worrying tbh.

Hang on. Is this LED light leakage really a thing? What if it, as has been stated, gets on my bed covers? My sheets? My jeans? Does it wash out easily? Is it viscous, or will it soak through? Are there any recommended detergents needed for cleaning?

Should i wear Cloves? Because the Light bleeding could be HIV infected.:eek:

Ghostbusters logo to get fan impulse buyers? In 2016!? That's hilarious!
Don't forget the Ghost-Glo case. ;) I was in a store the other day and certain sections, especially action figures in the toys, felt like a lame version of the 80s. There were stupid looking Ninja Turtle things all around the store, with lots of Ghostbusters stuff, old and new.

By the way, it's very weird that this thread is now one where we argue for different colours. Polls were already made, there will probably be more when ED gets the different samples, and all opinions are just based on ones opinion and lifestyle. There's pretty much no objective argument to be made and it's all just becoming insults (partially my fault) and statements of individual opinions that can be made better in a poll. Here it's slowly just becoming a contest of screaming louder by posting more and putting out more insults (again, I did my part in that). So can't we just vote for it when the time comes and until then... I don't know, do something else?
It seems those of us most discussing colors are talking about the same ones we have since the polls were active. Grench has been talking about a glow in the dark case since around the time he ordered a prototype, and there were always a couple asking for clear and pink. Clear has grown in popularity since ED shared pics with us, and this is reflected in the most recent poll. I am still asking for dark grey/black and dark red (and hot pink, Extreme Green, and translucent colors that have been mentioned by myself and others for a long time). We don't even know if ED is even planning on listening to our requests; we only know there will be a black or dark grey case, and maybe another color.

Color preference has always been an individual choice, even before humans existed (and sometimes it became instinct as it gave a benefit to whatever species). I haven't noticed insults from very many people, just discussions about why a couple of us think one color or combination looks better or worse than another. Since that discussion is technically on topic I don't see it as a problem. If we don't post then exerything is done without outside input, and this is obviously a poor choice (some people don't care, so they keep quiet, while other really care and won't buy one if they can't get a conservative color to play with their Pyra at work, and others want one that doesn't look plain and boring to them). The keyboard discussions seemed long and pointless to many people, and while this isn't quite as important when it comes to usability, color may have an impact on sales. Again, I am not seeing many insults, however I may not be as sensitive to harsh words and such as some people.

Keep in mind that case color is the one area where we can be of any use based on the recent Greece trip. I am looking forward to additional info from ED after he has had family time and slept.

Oh for heaven's sake, who cares what color it is, as long as it works!
HOT PINK FTW!

Ghostly enough?
http://www.ebay.ph/itm/Glow-in-the-Dark-Polycarbonate-Cup-/111760961396

Clear in normal light.

I should probably buy a set of those cups. That is probably the closest I'll ever come to having a glow in the dark polycarbonate Pyra.
That would work, but it appears only a thin layer in the bottom glows.

Unfortunately the light leakage will get everywhere, including places you don't notice. Addititonally, it does permanently change many things it comes into contact with. It can permeate certain fabrics, however darker or denser fabrics may prevent it from reaching things on the other side (so throw a blanket or something over your sheets if you are worried). The good thing is it will be less of a problem than many other light sources you are likely to encounter on a daily basis. I don't know if it will help with light, but for many of my garments and fabrics I use Woolite Dark. :D

So, any news from Greece? ED seems to be busy down there but no tweet or anything about yet...I'm just curious. ^^
He did say he wasn't getting much sleep. He could be catching up on it, or he may have gotten lost in the airport or in Greece, and this could have led to him ending up somewhere he didn't expect. Maybe we will get an adventure story as part of how the Pyra was made.

Wow, just, wow! I did not expect that to come while we were waiting for news from Greece! Take your time reporting back from there by the way, ED, that tweet has made me up for the week!

Damn! I actually already thought the 3D driver wouldn't make it this year, but just after the first units are in the hands of users. I'm so excited for videos, but take your time ED, the message alone is more than I and probably a lot of other members anticipated.

Edit: And pretty much at the same time 800 preorders!

Last edited:
I actually bought a hot ping Game Boy advanced because it was the only one in stock. I also bought a afterburner backlight kit with black replacement case.
But I want hot pink because I like hot pink, not because it is all that is available. Also, black or dark grey and hot pink could look nice.

Back