News from all fronts

Lets us first wait until ED came back frome Greece,
I dotnt know where the 25€ for the clear case came from..
Also it isnt clear if this will be available for 1st Batch..

So much i wants my Pyra in Clear, much more i wants it overall..
I would also be happy whit a nice black case

dotnt know where the 25€ for the clear case came from..

If I want to speculate wildly and hijack the discussion then I'm pretty sure that's my right judging by other threads on this forum.

CONFIRMED: ED WILL RELEASE A CLEAR PYRA THAT USES LOW ENRICHED URANIUM AS A POWER SOURCE.

Enriched Uranium is a poor choice. I hope ED is still able to switch to Deuterium/Tritium fusion, or else I'm going to get the the PGS. And if the Pyra gets to use fusion as an energy source, I will play "Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand" on a GBA emulator as soon as I get the device, just for the stupid pun. I already have a copy of the game (seriously).

Edit: Oh, and great update as always.

I'd choose a solid RTG over a fusion battery; it's a reliable solution used by NASA and unlike a fusion reactor it requires no maintenance. Plus the radiation may help finding the Pyra if you lost it.

I hope ED is still able to switch to Deuterium/Tritium fusion
Sure, but what about the people living more inland? I can drive to the beach within an hour, get some deuterium rich seawater, but inland people can't buy seawater in the supermarket.
Therefore I propose a small overunity device that works on a batterycell. That should give you a year worth of juice.
It is also mod friendly, you can tape a potato on the back of the lid, and connect a copper and nickel cables to get the electricity... potato powered Pyra... now THAT is a salespitch!
[doublepost=1467138921,1467138738][/doublepost]
I'd choose a solid RTG
Excellent idea, with the amount of radiation, you will be able to see through your fingers while typing... thus you can always see the key labels where your fingers are resting on. So you make less mistakes while typing!

Lets us first wait until ED came back frome Greece,
I dotnt know where the 25€ for the clear case came from..
Also it isnt clear if this will be available for 1st Batch..

So much i wants my Pyra in Clear, much more i wants it overall..
I would also be happy whit a nice black case

That stems from my casually mentioning that IF ED were to color the aluminum logo surround black (instead of raw aluminum) with matching black nubs, shoulders and stylus, that it would work with any case color but 'clear'. For the clear one the logo surround would be better as a mirror bright polished aluminum. I also speculated that there were people who would be willing to pay an extra 25 EUR or so to get the 'exclusive' 'clear' Pyra (meaning additional funds beyond the standard purchase prices).

So, my fault?

If I want to speculate wildly and hijack the discussion then I'm pretty sure that's my right judging by other threads on this forum.
ED already gave us the price for a run of custom cases. I am too tired to remember what we said atm, but 25 smackers was doable, I think. I am pretty sure he also said he might think about doing a run of clear cases since there is some demand. I am also pretty sure that means that all preorders get a clear case as a free bonus. :p

For the clear one the logo surround would be better as a mirror bright polished aluminum.
Once again, I completely disagree. I don't think a mirror polished aluminum plate on a pocketable handheld would look good at all. The first reason is that mirrored shit almost always looks tacky unless it is a mirror. The second is, just like with coating it to be black, it will look bad as it gets worn or scratched (I sometimes take sandpaper to things just to get past the "must protect it at all costs" phase). The third is possible fingerprints, I forgot the fourth, and the fifth is I would prefer it have the surface finish of this aluminum box I carry around all the time (reminds me a bit of how the plastic is on the case, so it may match).

One good side is that it could be used for signalling if you need rescued, or whatever.

Im a Preepreeorderer, but i also wouldnt mean too pay the extra 25 € for the clear case..

Its only neccesary to know if there are some disadventages in this case..

Would the clear case lacks the scretch resistence coating of the normal ones??
Will the LEDs shine everywhere, but not thought the parts they are supposed to bee??
And therefore, working in the dark will be inpossible..

But if this Clear Case helps to gatter interest in the Projekt, then its only can be the best for the Pyra..

I don't get this "LEDs will be shining everywhere" thing.

Its an open device, you could just shut them off with a well placed terminal command and then look even MORE 1337. Plus we've seen the keyboard backlight on the clear prototype; it's pretty well masked.

Oh no I'm defending a clear case again, sorry. I know not everyone wants one. I'm not suggesting that everyone should get one. I hope you all manage to get the colour you want like even if its Mellow Yellow, Electric Purple, or OMGWhyDidYouDoThis Wood Grain.

I dont see the Point of having a Keyboard Backlight if i just deaktivatet it..
Its also one of the thinks because i wants my pyra that bad..

But if the Prototyph Proofs that its also works, then it should work for me..

clear shouldn't be any less scratch resistant than the colored ones (unless the color dyes have magical properties). they were smashing up clear plastic stuff at the factory in greece in a previous video, and nothing seemed to phase them.

i wonder what sort of extra costs it would be to have a limited run of clear cases. 25 euro may be underestimating it, if there's little interest...

I don't get this "LEDs will be shining everywhere" thing.

Its an open device, you could just shut them off with a well placed terminal command and then look even MORE 1337.
I personally would never buy a device with useless LEDs just to look 1337, and I like the LEDs in the Pyra just because they serve a purpose: Notifying the user, making the keyboard better visible at night etc.
A clear case would make the LEDs shine trough the sides when you use the device at night, which is not just useless, it's also damn annoying for anyone who might want to sleep next to you. Deactivating the LEDs would also not benifit you, as you'd have the same sitation as with the Pandora where you'd have to use the backlight of the screen to see something. Also, having a brightly lit 3DS looking device in your hand in a train doesn't look "leet", it just looks stupid to anyone who doesn't know what that thing is.

I'm personally happy with a black or dark grey Pyra, in fact, that's what I would like best as a colour: It's not a fashion statement, but a productive device that I intend to use for multiple years and where I don't want to think about whether it fits the mood or if it would look to nerdy fo a serious company meeting or something. But I wouldn't say no to an second case that's clear for 25€ ;)

All this fuzz about clear cases... :p it would be different for me if the case would be clear/CLEAR!
But as the molds are sanded to give the Pyra texture it became less interesting for me.
But who knows, Ed might just make a nice surplus per color and if lucky gets the cases with mixed colored plastic too. It might give some interesting shades if a blue case is made straight after a red.
As the Pyra is so modular, it might even be possible to sell the cases seperate per color as extra's so people can assemble different colors together to personalize their Pyra.

I once made a suggestion like that about selling different aluminum back plates too ;)

@directive0, I guess we should be asking for wood grain then.

clear shouldn't be any less scratch resistant than the colored ones (unless the color dyes have magical properties). they were smashing up clear plastic stuff at the factory in greece in a previous video, and nothing seemed to phase them.

i wonder what sort of extra costs it would be to have a limited run of clear cases. 25 euro may be underestimating it, if there's little interest...
I think the scratch resistance stuff is something extra that needs to be added. The concern may be that it won't look good in a clear case (maybe it tints it yellow or brown). As for the cost for a run of these, wherever we discussed it we also went over ways of covering the cost. If people really want something they are willing to pay more (like an aluminum Pandora case).

or if it would look to nerdy fo a serious company meeting or something.
Maybe you should switch to a career/company where it is ok to be nerdy...

I keep banging on about clear cases because of this - Prototype-Pandora.jpg

ED has not confirmed anything yet, but it would be nice to think that we could get spare cases in different colours. As I said before, for the first run black and whatever is fine, another option later on would be excellent.

Once again, I completely disagree. I don't think a mirror polished aluminum plate on a pocketable handheld would look good at all. The first reason is that mirrored shit almost always looks tacky unless it is a mirror. The second is, just like with coating it to be black, it will look bad as it gets worn or scratched (I sometimes take sandpaper to things just to get past the "must protect it at all costs" phase). The third is possible fingerprints, I forgot the fourth, and the fifth is I would prefer it have the surface finish of this aluminum box I carry around all the time (reminds me a bit of how the plastic is on the case, so it may match).

So, keep in mind that we're talking about an aluminum logo surround plate on the back of a gelatinous clear/translucent (textured?) case on a pocketable multi-tool computer gizmo. You're concened that having the logo plate be reflective (only on a clear case model) would be tacky? The whole clear case is tacky - and that's kind of the point of the clear case. It's obnoxious, anti-fashion and kitch by design. Conservative minded folks would be heading for the black(ish) case. Personally I'm still of the opinion that clear cases should be made of glow-in-the-dark polycarbonate, even though I understand that to be impractical. The stuff looks clear in light - then subtly glows greenish in the dark.

For all other 'colors' of cases not 'clear', where ED has stated that all shoulders & nubs - and since they're on the same mold - & stylus will be black. IMHO the 'clear' case would be the natural exception to that rule - with everything being icecycle colored. Likewise, all non-clear 'colors' with their black shoulders, nubs, stylus would look great with a black logo surround. Properly coated or anodized, scratching shouldn't be much of an issue so long as you don't carry your keys and/or rock collection in the same pocket as your Pyra.

Clear would obviously entail additional overhead for stocking the full mold results (including nubs, shoulders, stylus) compared to dark red and black/charcoal/other with black nubs, shoulders and stylus. So, clear case orders should probably cost something more - if they're going to be a thing at all. The rebelious inclined among us seem to be into it - so if it isn't prohibitively expensive, why not?

As to the "LED light is gonna leak all over my bed!" concerns: Slow down and think about this. I seriously doubt that it will be that big of a deal.

The keymat is the same regardless of case. The main board LEDs sit behind the black surfaced key mat and shine up through it. Light leakage -might- be an issue on the edges where the keymat reaches the case, but that leakage would be minimal and -not- directed toward the user. Rather it would make the edge of the base case glow a bit - not an issue.

The lid has LEDs on two sides. The side facing the display fairly well seals to the display glass to push light through it from the backlight panels. I don't think there should be much if any 'leaking out the sides'. The back side LEDs would, yes, leak out the sides and result in a halo effect around the outside of the aluminum logo surround in addition to shining through the logo as per the standard case. I don't think they're going to be any more bothersome than they would be on a standard case. If they are, set up a task to turn them off or dim 90% when the lid is open.

Sorry, but I just don't see the 'issue' and if someone wants it clear and ED can make a few EUR more off of them, why not?

That's not clear, that's milky :)

Yes, but it's clear plastic put into a milky mould. The mould makes it look milky because of the surface texture. To have a clear case like you posted, it'd need a new mould and would be liable to be more slippery in the hands because it would then be a glossy case.

Back