Release New Website 1.0

What I wrote in the other thread is still mostly wrong on the 1.0 website.

The otg host only has 100 mA, not 500. The 500 are usable with the fullsized host.

Still I don't know if you want to market sdxc as a feature, as some cards with this specification might not work.

Pandora battery should be Pandora's battery, as the "Pandora battery" is a battery to hackt the psp.

The faq contact forums links seem out of place where they are and don't fit in the rest of the concepd, as they have a bigger fond and are strangely aligned.

The links in the emulation section don't work.

Edit: I still think an introductionpage for the maindevelopers like on the old website would be great.

Still is not scaled to width on ipad in uprightmode, so you need to swipe left and right continuously to read/select menulinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Firefox it looks perfect, on Opera (my main Browser) it still looks messed up ^^" I deactivated all add blockers, enabled all plugin stuff that you can put into a website but no luck yet. I still try out more options and settings of course.

Zwischenablage01.jpg

on Opera (my main Browser) it still looks messed up

People use Opera? Mind blown.

I suspect there's an Opera specific prefix for the CSS transform property which I've not included. May be easy to sort that front page out. Will be replacing the transformed images with pre-transformed, pre-resized ones to increase compatibility and decrease bandwidth requirements.

Mcobit: I did wonder that about the "Pandora Battery" but I was hoping people wouldn't confuse it. Then again... the PSP scene should have indicated otherwise :D

I'm aware of the problems with iPad in portrait mode, I can probably tweak the screen settings to fix that. Will look into it.

The emulation section links aren't hooked up to anything yet, as we don't have a lovely video for each emulator. I'll be trying to fix that when I get my hands on a 1Ghz Pandora.

I started a test on Browsershots:

http://browsershots....piix/index.html

Seems like the Opera rendering issues also occur on some more recent Chrome versions, Internet Explorer and FireFox 9 and older.

This is something that needs to be fixed.

PageSpeed rank is good (88 out of 100 points), it mostly suggests to use cache and optimize images, but I can do that right on the server.

Meta Tags and keywords are also still missing.

I think the scaling down and distorting, despite being an arduous task, will sort out the browser issues and, of course, do PageSpeed some favours. Will get to it when I can.

When proclaiming FullHD the future of mobile and everything, maybe the hompage of the project that spreads such visions should make use off FullHD since it is not only to become the standart on mobiles, no, it IS the standart on most normal desktops.

On the battery page the battery capacity is stated as being 4200mAh yet the battery in the picture says 4000mAh on it.

The point with pandora battery came to my mind, as I think there was somebody who strted to ask how to unlock his psp with this battery on the old forums, when the Pandora was in dicussion, just like people come here to ask for help with python problems because python guys don't have a forum ;)

I like the website. very slick.

on the 'Emulator page' there is a typo:

"truely unique amoung handhelds"

should read

"truly unique among handhelds"

Just tried it out on my netbook. It mostly works, although the introduction graphic is too wide for the screen, so the layout engine puts the testimonial quotes on top of the right hand menu, which looks messy and makes it hard to click on the menu links. Also, on Firefox-based browsers, on the introduction page, the graphic seems to get rendered in front of the top menu, meaning the 'forum' link is very hard to click on. Once you switch to any of the menu pages the smaller graphics means it all works though, even on my netbook. On old Firefox 3.5 specifically (the default on Debian Squeeze currently), you get the same rendering problems as Opera. Works if you upgrade to the backported firefox though.

It does take rather a long time to load, and with most of the links being almost the same colour blue as the background, they're hard to see until the background loads in. It mostly all works without javascript too, which is nice - although since it renders as a long list of sections then, the headers and links under 'emulation' and 'movies, music, web & productivity' are almost invisible. The right menu doesn't work without javascript, but since you can just scroll down to the content, that's no biggie.

Speaking of those links, are they meant to do anything? I can't get them to do anything with either javascript on or off.

Typos:

On the intro graphic, you've used 'analogue' to describe the controllers and 'analog' to desribe the volume wheel. Best to stick to one spelling IMO.

Relatedly, on 'QWERTY keyboard & gaming controls', second paragraph refers to 'the analogue' rather than 'the analogue nubs'

Even with all those minor issues though, the website still looks very professional to my eyes.

When proclaiming FullHD the future of mobile and everything, maybe the hompage of the project that spreads such visions should make use off FullHD since it is not only to become the standart on mobiles, no, it IS the standart on most normal desktops.

Are you genuinely suggesting we build a 1920 pixel wide website? Or are you referring to double pixel density graphics?

The nature of reading has dictated that books are narrow and formatted in portrait orientation, where books are wider they very typically either have a larger typeface, inset images or, like newspaper, columns.

The reason for this is a good one; narrow columns of text are significantly more comfortable for the reader.

The rest of you; thanks for your awesome feedback. Rest assured that I am reading all of it, but there's just too much for me to discuss specifics. The pervasive browser testing you guys are doing is handy, and I'll be looking in particular at cutting down image sizes, perhaps adding some asynchronous loading to the slideshows and making sure the site works effectively without CSS and/or Javascript.

People use Opera? Mind blown.
Since Firefox STILL doesn't have the extraordinary "match website to screen width" button, I use Opera, yes. :D Most important button since browsers were invented imho and I really miss this on Firefox, would be so handy on the Pandora if you could re-arrange Websites to fit perfectly the screen width (since firefox useres doesn't even know what this is: it has NOTHING to do with zooming! ). But I'm dreaming, of course. ^^

I used to be an Opera user, but they succumbed to feature creep and I haven't looked back for a while!

I've started adding some degrade support, which I should have accounted for in the first place. A test version is here: http://www.icontrolpad.com/opiix/index-degrade.html

No JS: Anchors allow the menu to work and you can click to jump down the page or just scroll to see the content. Content now has a background colour for readability. Sections have titles to distinguish them.

No CSS: Again, anchors are now present although the menu is at the bottom of the page. Sections have titles to distinguish them.

I tried using operah to test it and the big quotes where overlapping the main right curved menu.

Fixed that now, some of the responsive scaling was missing Opera-specific rules. CSS compatibility stacks suck, but I don't fancy bloating things with a javascript fix.

Below 1150px wide, the site is scaled down somewhat in order to fit on 1024px wide displays (like the iPad)

Edit: Just been through and manually skewed all the images, plus worked my degradation fixes thus far back into index.html.

I still have trouble with some browser defined font sizes, I've checked my fonts but it looks OK there I reduced all of their standard sizes but no effect so far. I have this problem on other Websites that don't use their own font sizes.

Back